AFLW AFLW Round 7 - Collingwood v Brisbane - Sunday 17th March 19 Victoria Park, 2.05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

IIRC she was a VC of our netballers? Not just a good player, but leadership qualities

Gotta say, Chiocci has quite a voice. The effects mike clearly picked her up yelling on the other side of the ground!
Yah for netballers.;)

Brazill was just interviewed, spoke really well. Talked about young group and not knowing what teams will come in next year hope that they can stick together. Another season in the gym and who knows.

Seems that she is intending to stay, Molloy back, Darcy and Rowe could provide the foundation for a better year in 2020 hopefully.

Just getting back to the game - one of things that really annoys me in football generally (men too) is why oh why does someone hand off the ball when they are within kicking distance of goal? Confidence? Reacting to someone running by calling for the ball?

Just getting back to the game - one of things that really annoys me in football generally (men too) is why oh why does someone hand off the ball when they are within kicking distance of goal? Confidence? Reacting to someone running by calling for the ball?

The players will know each other’s set shot abilities which is why they help each other out in those situations ...

... but with our nose in front and the clock counting down, Chiocci really should have known better. It that situation D’Arcy should take her full 30 seconds - and even if she ends up shanking it out on the full - that’s still a better percentage outcome than calling for D’Arcy to hand it off.

I don’t blame D’Arcy for that. Our captain really should have known better than to call for it.

Calling for the footy when there’s going to be front on pressure isn’t the best idea either. On both players.

Seems that she is intending to stay, Molloy back, Darcy and Rowe could provide the foundation for a better year in 2020 hopefully.

+ Guttridge playing a full season
+ Bonnici will get better (still only 21)

Went out to Lunch Today and did not see the Game.

Good to see we won but going by the Score sounds like was not the most High Skilled Game of Footy

Siekman still needs to go

How crap we been this season.

Does not Shock Me that not many turned up
It filled up more late, but still would have been comparable to a large VFL crowd, maybe a few more.

Great to see the girls get up for a win this year. They've put in all season and deserve that feeling. Brazill is a deadset gun. Best defender in the league by some way. Chiocci also big for us. Say what you want about her but she has stuck with us through thick n thin which is more than you can say about some (stoked to see North miss finals btw!). Lambert is such a tough player and has that swagger in her game. A real footballer. D'Arcy also massive for us. Great to see Rowes progress and the St Paddy day comraderie with the girls. It'll be a long slog with this team but lets hope we're building.

We could have easily won by more, but they need to fix their accuracy next season. But it was nice to finally get a win, and a win at victoria park.

At the end, a couple of the girls bent down and kissed the ground. They understand this special place.

The crowd:

+ Guttridge playing a full season
+ Bonnici will get better (still only 21)
Might be able to add a couple more... Butler and Shevlin both had good first halves today with some nice marks. Schleicher is only just 21, while Allen was a high pick who’s shown a bit this season.

Other players who stood out today:

Rowe - runs hard both ways, often found himself between kicks today when she was on as a short option (15m), but we went slightly longer (25-40m)

Livingstone and Brazill - both superb one on one down back today. Stopped a huge amount of shots on goal and in the second half, often from repeat entries.

Grant - provided a good marking option down the line and across half back

Bonnici - arguably had her best game for the year

D’Arcy - like Bonnici probably her best game for the year. Really strong hands today, but also got in good positions.

Lambert - another good game, including 3-4 shots on goal in the first quarter. Was worried her injury (concussion?) early in the fourth might cost us the game.

Other all I thought our skills and marking were much improved today and you could see how much the win meant. Again it’s a pity the season is short because we were building some good form and structure.

Was also good to see McIntosh acknowledged on the banner and chaired off. Obviously a sign she’s announced her retirement. She was handy and played some good games for us.

Mar 9, 2019

Congratulations on the win!

From the first bounce today, our tackling pressure on the ball carrier and our short passing was going to be the plan for the day. At the end, we held on for the win and well done girls on that effort. Especially, when Brisbane with a win, could have played finals.

There were many expletives at the TV in the last, when inexperience and plain dumb football could have cost us the game. However, no use going into that now with the season over (apart from the review that the girls will get individually).

Sharni Layton
Workwomanlike today and was handy in the ruck battles as well as around the ground. Good game.

Sarah D'Arcy
I'm D'Arcy's harshest critic as she's my favourite player and today, she was back to what she is capable of. Presenting all the time; contesting in the air, marking and kicking goals. She did all of that today. Please get fitter in the AFLW off-season and in the VFLW. We really need you at your best!

Emma Grant
Typical Grant game today and battled hard and led by example in the backline.

Jordyn Allen
Much better today by Jordyn and be more confident to take the game on as you have the skill.

Sarah Rowe
Was lively around the ground and in the forward line. As mentioned by others, we need to convince her to come back for next year. Happy St Pat's Day!

Brittany Bonnici
Wonderful game today and backed up again her good performance of last week.

Ash Brazill
Best on ground today. Too many superlatives could be used to describe her performance on a really good player in Wuetschner. You're a real gun Braz!!

It will be between her and Lambert for our best player this season.

Eliza Hynes
Was serviceable today and I eat a slice of humble pie, as I thought last year, she would never make it, but her and Layton in tandem have provide much needed height and grunt with their ruckwork around the ground.

Stacey Livingstone
Was serviceable today and made Frederick-Traub contest every aerial battle.

Jaimee Lambert
This is what I said last week "Was great again today. She gets banged up every week and comes back on for more and runs and tries and runs and tries and runs and tries." Ditto this week and copped one in the head in the last and didn't come back on.

Katie Lynch
Was serviceable today but needs to improve her fitness and recovery. A Sarah D'Arcy clone.

Stephanie Chiocci
Was good today but I must mention a couple of dumb things in the last when she should have used her experience and leadership to 'kill' the game. We were lucky it didn't cost us the game.

Ruby Schleicher
Was quiet today but her player was unnoticeable as well.

Sophie Casey
No impact today. We needed her experience when it mattered today and like Chiocci didn't give produce in the moments that mattered.

Lauren Butler
Quiet and no impact today.

Mikala Cann
Quiet and no impact today.

Georgia Gourlay
Busy early but no impact later.

Darcy Guttridge
She drew the ball like a magnet in the forward line today but seems either hesitant and then fumbles or lacks fitness. More confidence and fitness and she'll become a really good player.

Maddie Shevlin
Better this week but the same comment as last week. That is, "when she gets it in a contested situations, seems to 'freeze'. However, when in open space, she has no issues and takes the game on with her pace. A talented work in progress."

Kristy Stratton
You know what you get from Stratton. Tackles ferociously all day and puts her body on the line and gets the ball going our way.

Sarah Dargan
Much better from Dargs today as she got more involved after a couple of ineffectual games in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was great to see the Team have a win at Victoria Park!
After a tough year considering the talent that we lost,And not to mention some key injuries (Chloe Molloy)
The positive is the youngsters and also the new players to the game there was improvement the more games they played.

Next Year there will be 4 more new teams, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast.
So my mind boggles as to how much of our talented players we will lose.

And as for this conference system o_O (WHY OH WHY) And with 4 more teams coming in will they do the same?

Best I've heard Siekman speak. Finally sees that a shorter kicking game is the way instead of the bomb and hope, but more impressive was how he answered the question on player retention. In stark contrast to last year's answer he sold the club, our facilities, our program and the direction/future with youth. Finally questioning why anyone would want to leave given what the club offers and the risk of improvement and missing out.

I think he's developed as a coach especially in the last few weeks and seems more confident. While I was dead against a re-appointment a one year extension may have merit.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2019-03-17/aflw-postmatch-magpies

Best I've heard Siekman speak. Finally sees that a shorter kicking game is the way instead of the bomb and hope, but more impressive was how he answered the question on player retention. In stark contrast to last year's answer he sold the club, our facilities, our program and the direction/future with youth. Finally questioning why anyone would want to leave given what the club offers and the risk of improvement and missing out.

I think he's developed as a coach especially in the last few weeks and seems more confident. While I was dead against a re-appointment a one year extension may have merit.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2019-03-17/aflw-postmatch-magpies

He still should go though.

Re-Signing him would just make me are even less about the Women's Team

That's that most people said about Buckley in 2017...
True and I still think he was very lucky to keep his Job.

Though we never finished Dead Last and only win 1 Game under Bucks. and we never lost out Guns we had under him as well

True and I still think he was very lucky to keep his Job.

Though we never finished Dead Last and only win 1 Game under Bucks. and we never lost out Guns we had under him as well
Siekman said in today's press conference that it was a club decision (not his) to go with youth and to take a hit this year with an aim of not losing as many with the next expansion. If that's true it's not fair to lay all the blame on him; plus you'd think after 2 seasons the players who were going to leave would have left already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back