Game Day AFLX- Matchday Discussion Collingwood v West Coast/Adelaide (Adelaide Oval – 6:10PM CST)

Are you going to watch AFLX?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, I think even BT was taken aback... I'm tempted to go back and watch the replay just to see if my memory is correct...but I'm not giving in to that temptation..

He definitely said it after Blair slotted a set shot from the boundary.

The more I think about last night the more annoyed I am that we didn't play Kirby. I feel like it's the sort of game that would suit him!

I agree. We seemed to go in with a team based around our best endurance runners. I thought it was a good idea before the games. But strong endurance did not seem to translate to any advantage.

Would have been great to see Kirby one out up forward.

I wonder if a proper preseason round robin group stage then knock-out competition with real prize money would be better. At th momEnt who cares? Why not actually have a preseason that means something? But I guess they used to have this and people still didn’t care...
It’s not so much about caring. I think people would rather watch the youngsters playing in a real format. You can’t gauge anything about any of the players watching aflx. Most people would watch the old nab cup type formate on tv at least

All you naysayers - I bet you reach for the remote at least once tonight, even if to express disgust!
I watched the second game.
I can't see the point really other than an excuse to * with the game under the guise of an attempt to replicate 20/20 cricket.

Was at the game last night, thoughts as follows:

Concept - I didn't mind it but as stated it was low intensity, didn't build the tension like you'd want in a game. Good to see the players getting to show their skills one out, very noticeable that other teams have a lot more ground level x factor than us which seems noticeable to everyone in the football community except for our recruiting guys. As noted by other posters would have been good to see Kirby out there.

Team Overall - Once again goal kicking an issue, felt like the crows worked us over in that second half, them scoring 20 points in 2 kicks was interesting. In the Eagles game we were struggling with D40 (am i the first to use that phrase) exits and felt like we got hemmed in more than other teams did. Bit worrying considering how much space there was. Very concerned about our ability to be able to defend small forwards, Maynard can't, he just doesn't have the nous, Crisp I'm concerned with his agility on those x factor players, who else is there.....better hope murray can do it.

Individuals:
Aish
- How good was his marking, although he probably got more clean one one ones in a 10 minute half of AFLX than he will all season in the proper stuff. Probs is he is more of what we have, a good overhead player that doesn't have genuine x factor at ground level or speed.

Thomas - So clean off the deck, played well.

Maynard - Thought he had good moments rather than a really standout night. Let his man get out the back too easily in a one on one when he was playing back for an easy goal. He needs to play up the ground, he's a liability deep.

Stephenson - Think we have a player here. There was one play where ball was tracking towards boundary line opposite direction from our goal and a bigger stronger opposition player (which was everyone on the field and possibly the stands as well) had the front position on him and he managed to work around/under him, win the ball and come back out in the direction of our goal. It wasn't speed that won him the ball but one on one contested ability which was pleasing to see as he obviously has outside talent to burn.

I can't wait until real footy begins again....
I support the ladies game but it is not the same....too much tampering by the AFL.
I can't see why they could not play exactly the same length game.
Exhaustion is part of the game in mens.

Game looked interesting and fun to play, I reckon the boys enjoyed it. It looks like a good game for casual players like mixed netball is, opens up opportunities for all sorts of people. Because lets be honest, that's what they are aiming for, its not meant to be played by elite level AFL players who can kick 1/2 of the field length.

It highly resembled the way Gaelic footy is played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't all that happy to see my old boss Craig Jennings leading Melbourne to victory as temporary coach. Great tactician but long term has people skill issues. You can see in the incessant talking and the inability of his eyes to rest anywhere that he is not comfortable being in the spotlight. There was talk of Collingwood poaching him and further conjecture he would be an AFL coach. I could set aside my personal concerns and welcome him as tactician but as coach I would be looking elsewhere. He has risen rapidly in the football world since leaving Essendon. He would know every team's structure and tactics inside out - his football work life has been about observing games and copiously recording and analysing body and ball movement. Who is our Collingwood equivalent?

Downloaded the torrent and watched the game and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the AFLX concept and our players. Really boring games with no excitement or tight contest. I thought Aish was easily our best and the rest just made up the numbers. Blair looks as bad as he has ever looked, the new guys Stephenson and Murphy did little to inspire, Maynard was loose down back, in fact, the pressure was so relaxed there is no point commenting on anyone's performance other than the obvious stand out and dud. Our goal and field kicking looked every bit as inaccurate as it ever did last year. What an absolute farce splitting the screen so we could see Simpson with ear phones while watching our team play in a little box on the left. Had I known the game would be so disappointing I would not have bothered to download.

Downloaded the torrent and watched the game and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the AFLX concept and our players. Really boring games with no excitement or tight contest. I thought Aish was easily our best and the rest just made up the numbers. Blair looks as bad as he has ever looked, the new guys Stephenson and Murphy did little to inspire, Maynard was loose down back, in fact, the pressure was so relaxed there is no point commenting on anyone's performance other than the obvious stand out and dud. Our goal and field kicking looked every bit as inaccurate as it ever did last year. What an absolute farce splitting the screen so we could see Simpson with ear phones while watching our team play in a little box on the left. Had I known the game would be so disappointing I would not have bothered to download.

Agree. Channel 7 took it like it was a Exhibition Game.

Bit hard to take it Seriously

Agree. Channel 7 took it like it was a Exhibition Game.

Bit hard to take it Seriously
Good article in today's Age about the limitations of this game as a spectacle. Said that while it looked like it might be fun to play, so does beach cricket which is boring to watch. The writer said the AFL would be better off spending money on promoting football in Tasmania than trying to come up with some internationally acceptable but boring rendition of our popular game.

A good point was made that NFL is the most popular sport in the USA but not popular outside the country - why can't the AFL admin accept that the same will apply to Aussie rules? Interesting that only one player has been drafted from Tasmania in the past 2 drafts, given the number of champion players throughout history who came from this state.

The game's not, dare i say it, congested enough. There's too much space to run into and not enough in the way of defence to prevent pointless scoring. No tension at all just up and back kicking. That makes for a boring spectacle. If the ground was another 20 metres longer with 10 players per side who knows but that didn't work.

The game's not, dare i say it, congested enough. There's too much space to run into and not enough in the way of defence to prevent pointless scoring. No tension at all just up and back kicking. That makes for a boring spectacle. If the ground was another 20 metres longer with 10 players per side who knows but that didn't work.
It’s meant to be. High scoring and bruise free.

Back