Autopsy After a slow start a swarm of Swans crush Carlton by 52.

Remove this Banner Ad

**** it.

My thoughts on every Swan last night (except the few I thought had poor games, because who needs negativity this weekend?!)

Warner - Very good. He's looking more and more consistent with his ability to break tackles. Seeing less of his underwear as he's dacked in tackles and more just getting into the clear.

McLean - He's just enjoyable to watch. Has the turning circle of the QE2 one minute and then does some random spin out of trouble the next. I really think he is a small player trapped in a big fella's body, though his 2 contested marks was really pleasing to see.

Adams - Important early. Not doing anything special and doesn't even seem to have a clear, defined role (at least to the naked eye.) He just kinda runs around and makes contests with his physicality when it's his turn to do so. Wins those kinds of 50/50 balls in general play against opponents that we haven't won enough of in previous years.

Grundy - A quality tap ruckman, but an even better midfielder. A gripe I used to have with him at Collingwood was he'd try to do too much himself. He seems to be knowing his place and working in sync with our mids really well. And behind a certain other, he's become our most important tackler.

Heeney - There are no words.

Cunningham - Just another trusty, reliable performance with the rare scoreboard reward he so thoroughly deserved. Was so good to see him running and taking the game on as well, as his role can make it easy to forget how fast he actually is.

Rowbottom - There are no words.

Hayward - I think someone in the game day thread said it best. An 'almost' game. If these become his bad games then we're laughing.

Papley - His best showing for some time. Worked incredibly hard, was as selfless as I've seen him, and was unlucky not to finish with a mini bag for his efforts.

Wicks - Manic, in all the right ways. Buzzes around and gets from player to player so quickly to cause chaos in ways the stats sheet simply doesn't reflect. And that moment he flew for that mark with eyes only for the ball. Quietly amassing a number of incredibly brave moments as a Swan (which I'm sure Ralphyboy must watch through his fingers!)

Jordon - Just another solid outing, which he's producing with growing consistency. With Clarke there used to be the worry that if his negating role was worked around, he didn't offer much to the team. Jordon offers enough in other ways for that to not be a worry with him.

Rampe - We really need to embrace this man while we have him. He is an amazing defender and has been for a long time now.

Amartey - His game is something to be said for competing hard. I said before that his hands have two modes - vice-like grip or oven mitts, nothing in between - and I stand by it. But when he throws himself at every pack and gives his full reach for every ball, weight of numbers wins out and he can create enough opportunities for himself to put together a handy performance.

Fox - Sad about his shoulder/collarbone. Was going alright before it and I never have a problem with him being in the side. :(

Melican - Take a bow son. Has he ever looked this confident? Leaping for spoils, playing on from contested wins, pushing off his man to play from the front. A stellar effort considering the task he had without McCartin alongside him.

Lloyd - Along with Gulden & McInerney, quietly forming the best wing rotation we've had in many years. His overlap run and ability to direct play, while also holding his width, while still knowing when to get involved, is so valuable.

Great summary mate, I think Francis did enough to get in the mentions in the end.

agree on Rampe, early contests I was like shit he will be killed, but he just uses his smarts, a body nudge here and times his stuff so well, just a smart player. Get him coaching or teaching defence some where when he is done.

Spot on.

Doesn’t matter who finishes off the good work witha goal. Will watch the replay but before then I reckon I spotted a few wonderful smart chance creations for others Logan contributed to. Imo he is incredibly smart and unselfish. Will watch for his work in the replay.
He deftly tapped one down Heeneys throat at the top of the goal square setting up a goal

He's just a smart player

I hate to dunk on Newman but I felt in spite of all his ball use he wasn't hurting us

Lot of empty calories

But he has been a pretty good player the blues all things considered.

He deftly tapped one down Heeneys throat at the top of the goal square setting up a goal

He's just a smart player
Mcdonald ? agree

just felt like last night he did go a bit too quiet , not that there was much to do, just keep bringing it to ground.

Having a nice year though

It's all about clutching them for the tall forwards now

Nothing is going to quite get the small doubt out of my head until we are in the contest on grand final day and not getting flogged

McDonald is only young remember and buddy still holding him back

Let’s be honest he needs more presence and just have a crack at the contest

I don’t think you learn that regardless of size I just think that’s him

Watch the vision of amerty going back with the flight and Logan yes only eyes for the ball but push marchbanks into the contest

He doesn’t like the contact imo and that will separate him from being average to very good

McDonald is only young remember and buddy still holding him back

Let’s be honest he needs more presence and just have a crack at the contest

I don’t think you learn that regardless of size I just think that’s him

Watch the vision of amerty going back with the flight and Logan yes only eyes for the ball but push marchbanks into the contest

He doesn’t like the contact imo and that will separate him from being average to very good

He has eyes for the ball but doesn't like the contest?

I don't disagree he has too do more but not liking contact is an odd criticism imo. He crashes into contests pretty willingly . Needs to certainly clunk more of them and keep involved.

But are you saying he is soft?

I mean, the last 2 floggings were all midfield related

It was just that feeling you get even last night 4 down, I felt our effort was on and knew worse case we make a game of it.

2022 Hawkins first goal we looked like wow we aren't ready to even play at all.

Missed the game last night as I was out, but just watching the game now. Not sure if it's been mentioned, and I hate bringing up old wounds, but how good was it to see the boys get around slick Wicks after his goal in the 3rd quarter? That was a big FU to the football public.
Also worth noting how good he is at scoring on the run.
Stays relaxed.
Balanced.
And rarely misses …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing is going to quite get the small doubt out of my head until we are in the contest on grand final day and not getting flogged
Totally understandable but this is a different side. Hickey was running on fumes and got absolutely belted in a way that Grundy won't.

We won't make another mistake like playing Reid injured, and the young mids who got flogged - with the exception of Warner who was great - are all much harder and simply better.

Long way to go but I have significantly more faith in this squad.

Totally understandable but this is a different side. Hickey was running on fumes and got absolutely belted in a way that Grundy won't.

We won't make another mistake like playing Reid injured, and the young mids who got flogged - with the exception of Warner who was great - are all much harder and simply better.

But admit it that little corner of your brain still has that tiny doubt :p

Yeah I feel that way, But acknowledging it's a long year , and we will lose and have a bad patch at some stage.

But it's a different resolve . I guess they just can't address the last questions until it's actually September.

Just shows how rewarding it can be to keep running, keep supporting and eventually it will pay off. How many players give that first little chip kick off then stop and go back to D50? We just do it better than anyone else.

and you can see just behind cunningham as he takes that last handball a carlton defender who's clearly gassed, and tries to make another effort but it's too late and he's too far off ... which sums up what we're dong to opponents at the moment, just running them into the ground

Frankly I'd prefer to be pulled into a thread from a club that didn't get ridiculous academy advantages. But just trying to figure out why every week I am pulled into Sydney threads I have very little interest in.
Just admit it, you missed me this week, didn't you?
3ohze3kG5qO9DcTUbe.gif

Haven’t seen two Swans midfielders work that well since Diesel and Healey.

Warner was just unstoppable and Heeney was always in the right position to create or save.

Frankly I'd prefer to be pulled into a thread from a club that didn't get ridiculous academy advantages. But just trying to figure out why every week I am pulled into Sydney threads I have very little interest in.
I’m sure we can get the BF mods to pull you into boards for teams that always play the GF at home, have an insane level of father sons (which they do nothing to develop), the most third party marketing opportunities, and only travel interstate for a handful of games (and get called brave and courageous when they do) - oh wait, you already post regularly on one of those boards ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back