Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne, Richmond, now St Kilda are all premiership contenders apparently. Who will it be next week? Essendon? Hawthorn?

Saints, like Melbourne, tracking in the right direction. Both significant improves this year. Only one team will play finals this year however.
Completely disagree with the last point, I honestly think your mob is a very good chance of a top 4 so long as your midfield stays strong without Viney and Jones, i think we are a very good chance of making the 8. We would both probably be bundled out of the finals without making much impact but from where both teams sat the last few years it is still a big improvement.

Completely disagree with the last point, I honestly think your mob is a very good chance of a top 4 so long as your midfield stays strong without Viney and Jones, i think we are a very good chance of making the 8. We would both probably be bundled out of the finals without making much impact but from where both teams sat the last few years it is still a big improvement.
Take a good midfielder out of our side and we really struggle. I guess it's typical for supporters of our clubs to be a bit cynical.

If that form last night can become sustainable then they're every chance to contend for the flag sooner rather than later.
That's the thing we have performances like this once or twice a year, against the bulldogs last year but the there are a lot of other performances that leave us as supporters scratching our heads and have our hopes up and then dashed with a sterling blade

Take a good midfielder out of our side and we really struggle. I guess it's typical for supporters of our clubs to be a bit cynical.
It's going to take time for both teams to get consistently used to being good teams and not letting wins and good press and so-on go to their heads and so-on. This is where the leadership of the likes of Riewoldt, Montagna, Brown and Lewis is so important.

That's the thing we have performances like this once or twice a year, against the bulldogs last year but the there are a lot of other performances that leave us as supporters scratching our heads and have our hopes up and then dashed with a sterling blade
Perfectly put my friend

Cue tonights performance against a middling Essendon

4 years on and 'richo' hasn't changed much at all in saintsland

Perfectly put my friend

They're so built on pressure around the ball carrier, and when it doesn't work they drop their heads and there is no plan B. Pretty simple really.

Destroyed in the ruck, Hickey no marks, no physical presence and didn't hit the scoreboard. Played some decent games last year but was hopeless tonight.

Saints aren't as bad as tonight, nor as good as they looked last week.

Mid table team with a mid table coach

Going nowhere fast and when Roo retires they will go backwards.

Average midfield that is one dimensional

They are not getting Kelly Fyfe or Martin so they are miles off IMO

Perfectly put my friend

Forward structure non existent tonight and goal kicking an absoloute shambles. How hard would it be to get Fraser Gehrig down there for some lessons??? When the saints start getting done Richo just seems to sit there arms folded or touching his brow dojng jack crap. Assistant coaches are a lot of the problem I think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward structure non existent tonight and goal kicking an absoloute shambles. How hard would it be to get Fraser Gehrig down there for some lessons??? When the saints start getting done Richo just seems to sit there arms folded or touching his brow dojng jack crap. Assistant coaches are a lot of the problem I think
Losing Membrey hurt the Saints alot. Add him back in and the forward line works alot better.

Saints had a bad night but I think going forward there is some upside going forward. Firstly they were missing a few more than handy players tonight and over the next few weeks will get them all back in the side. Secondly having the 2 first round picks really gives them a chance to address any list weaknesses at the end of the year.

I'm always caught up on one thing with the Saints - they have too many 'good' players and not enough 'stars'. So they really seem to need a very even contribution to be able to perform at a high level. Its not a bad thing to not be reliant on a few players but they seem to be a genuine superstar short of being a top 4 calibre side.

They are a very hard team to predict. Just when you think they are no chance they come out and spank a top side. Then they can lose badly out of nowhere other weeks.

Been rebuilding for 5-6 years and still looking average. Can't see much scope for improvement into the top 4 range, especially when they're going to lose their best player (reiwoldt), montagna, gilbert, geary, all look like they should settle down at a nursing home too. Looks like they'll do a melbourne and be in for another 5 years of missing finals, being s**t, and virtually going through two rebuilds.

Last edited:
They're so built on pressure around the ball carrier, and when it doesn't work they drop their heads and there is no plan B. Pretty simple really.
This is v true for saints. Not sure they drop heads but the gut running demands take its toll and they get exposed towards end of quarters as they get opened up. Winning contested footy at clearances makes or breaks them. But true for most young teams in afl.

The concern is that they have a number of big losses. Last year was the same: smash some teams, get belted by others. You'd think in a finals year they'd have closed that gap. Imo they're well below Melbourne on the development scale.

Do you think Tigers are a strong top 4 side. They've beaten the Eagles and Demons.
They beat the Eagles in Melbourne which isn't exactly difficult, and they beat us with no ruckman and two down on the bench for more than half the game.

I'd read next to nothing into beating up on Richmond. They were essentislly witches hats through the middle of the ground in that game.

They're a bunch of Etihad-centric downhill skiers.

Riewoldt still plays a big role in the saints structure and is going to be a big hurdle for them to overcome when he pulls the pin. They need to prioritise trading for a ready made proper KPF, whilst they wait for McCartin to come good.

Games Riewoldt has missed:

West Coast: loss by 17 points
Bulldogs: loss by 40 points
Crows: loss by 57 points

Last night, very little influence: loss by 61 points (against the 10th placed side)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back