Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North hat on, this is a tricky but crucial time. I don't envy the board's task right now.

Just as entering 2022 under Noble I said we should be assessing Clarkson, bizarrely we have progressed to a stage we may need to quietly review or construct a list of contingency options "just in case".

Simultaneously we need to run our own review over the situation, hear Clarkson's side of things and form an educated opinion on both him and the report at large.

We need to be looking into exit strategies if it comes to that (hoping he is innocent and we do not, however..), managing the PR and forming a strategy on how to keep the football activities ticking over - trading, speaking to agents, draft planning etc.

Then there's updating and addressing any sponsor concerns.

Not to mention getting an initial contingency view of the football department as a whole - what we do about any Clarkson related existing or in-flight appointments if things go bad etc.

This is government level complexity to navigate. Tough gig.
Agree we need some contingency planning, but I don't think we'll be interfering with the conduct of the AFL investigation - the report from that process will provide the bedrock on which NMFC then proceeds. Take a hypothetical - if we launch a review now, and Clarkson tells us one thing and the AFL review another, what happens then? Unfortunately we just have to sit tight, like it or not

This seems to be the Hawthorn defence running rampart through the ex-players and staff WhatsApp at the moment including all current and previous board members.

bots GIF

so why aren't the following coaches stepping down?
Adam Simpson
Luke Beveridge
Brett Ratten
Sam Mitchell
Craig Mcrae

Agree we need some contingency planning, but I don't think we'll be interfering with the conduct of the AFL investigation - the report from that process will provide the bedrock on which NMFC then proceeds. Take a hypothetical - if we launch a review now, and Clarkson tells us one thing and the AFL review another, what happens then? Unfortunately we just have to sit tight, like it or not

Meaning review a bit more anecdotally. Forming our own internal view of the situation.

Am I reading this right in thinking today is the first time anybody at the HFC has herd these allegation.
They did the review didn’t they

Publicly abrogate responsibility of fact finding completely to the AFL, but make plans behind closed doors that encompass everything from the best to worst outcomes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite confusing to me how reserving judgement is an untenable position in the eyes of many here. The allegations don't look good, but the fact is they are just allegations so far. So many knee jerk reactions.

They are serious allegations, and so they deserve serious investigation. Comments on here like 'even if this allegations are proven false, the damage is done'...etc are absolutely ludicrous and reflective of self-righteous attitudes.

I'll reserve judgement until the truth, or at least until all the relevant details and voices are aired.

And only a fool could receive my comment as a suggestion that I am throwing my support behind anyone/anything in particular.

Because they weren't named in the articles as being in those meetings giving those ultimatums.
It states in the article that it was all senior management which would include all of the names mentioned apart from Mitchell

They did the review didn’t they
They commissioned a report by externals, so no, but they have had it for a couple of weeks. Possible that the lack of action after it was handed over prompted the leak to Russell Jackson.

I think the disappointing part from our personal stance is that AFL have had this report for a week and I would imagine the Hawks would have been investigating this for some time and at no point did they reach out to the AFL, Clarkson or us to hold off on finding a new coaching job because there are serious allegations raised against you and there will be need for some sort of official process before you would ever be allowed to coach again.

For us we went through a long period without a coach and spent a lot of time in the process with Clarkson and we are coming into the pre-season with this bag of s**t on our doorstep. It is really unforgivable that nobody at Hawthorn who was aware of this s**t internally and didn't reach out to our club at least off the record to give us a warning that this was coming or a possibility.

I think this investigation should also focus on what Hawthorn knew, how long they knew of these allegations and the timing of this report and if the club hesitated or delayed in any way any kind of investigation until he was no longer the coach then the AFL should throw the book at the club as vigorously as they punished Essendon for bringing the game into disrepute.
They have form. Mate just look at the history of hawthorn and their lack of integrity when it comes to North at least 2 players traded to us that had known mental health issues that were undisclosed, on the other hand you can’t say we haven’t dealt in good faith, how many North players have we traded to Hawks that went on to become premiership players 3-4??? * and Hawks peas from the same pod.

Yep. Normally you don't go straight to the gallows without a fair trial.

The unsavoury nature of the allegations seems to have so many people eager to quickly pass judgement and proceed with sentencing.

Thats how people seem to be these days unfortunately. I heard they have changed the rape laws to put the responsibility on the accused that they gained consent. Seems crazy to me, innocent until proven guilty is the backbone of the justice system you should not have to prove your innocence it is up to others to prove your guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back