Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The family said in the text exchange that “you (Flood) were there and you didn’t speak up for us” and that “we had no one”.​

Flood was named in the club’s cultural safety review and as a non-Indigenous person who had “reached out” to the report’s author, Phil Egan.

The report, which this masthead revealed in September 2022, asserted that the alleged treatment at the club of First Nations players involved “bullying and intimidation tactics … to be used to isolate First Nations players from their families and communities”.

These “aggressive intimidatory actions were undertaken by the most senior of the coaching and management hierarchy’’, Egan wrote. The report alleged that Flood told Egan: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out”. And: “I knew this day would come”.

“He went on to say Evans (former chief executive Mark Evans), Clarkson, Fagan and Burt operated the football department like the Russian Mafia,” the report said.

Despite the claim being terminated by the Human Rights Commission on Monday, mediation can continue between all parties, but not under the umbrella of the HRC.
If this is coming from an insider then there is trouble.

The HRC outcome just means they can't find an agreement. It will play out in the Federal Court with the associated publicity.

“It’s not for the AFL to try to determine these matters because they totally botched the handling of this affair. I congratulate the Hawthorn board for not succumbing to the claims that have not been independently and appropriately tested.’’

Sometimes I think Kennett's secret kink is publicly embarrassing himself.

I think the plaintiff's are making a very bad decision if they intend taking this to the Federal Court. No more behind closed doors (HRC). The defendents lawyers will pick the plaintiff witnesses apart in an open and public trial. Hawthorn's compensation settlement must be way below the plaintiff's demand.
Never was actually stated they are taking it to court, the word were something along the lines of "opens the door to take it to court" which is odd in itself as they always have had that option.

Never ever dismiss self interest, lots of legal professionals stand to make a lot of money if this goes to court. And whilst the verdict is uncertain the lawyers getting paid is anything but uncertain.

As for going to court...

That's basically the scorched earth option. If we think people's reputations have been damaged so far it's nothing compared to it going to court. Everyone involved, form complainants to defendants to thusfar unnamed parties, will get absolutely brutalized.

No idea if the case will make it there. Personally I'd be expecting the AFL to step in and step up before it gets to that stage, with the bog boy cheque books, speeches, and statements.

As for going to court...

That's basically the scorched earth option. If we think people's reputations have been damaged so far it's nothing compared to it going to court. Everyone involved, form complainants to defendants to thusfar unnamed parties, will get absolutely brutalized.

No idea if the case will make it there. Personally I'd be expecting the AFL to step in and step up before it gets to that stage, with the bog boy cheque books, speeches, and statements.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, could be a pretty costly precedent. Hey afl, toss me some scheckles cos some bloke made a tastless comment on my clothes....

I wouldn't be so sure of that, could be a pretty costly precedent. Hey afl, toss me some scheckles cos some bloke made a tastless comment on my clothes....
Hawthorn was already prepared to financially settle with them (and the coaches) to the extent of bookmarking money aside for it. A financial component has been on the cards from day dot.

What is worse for the AFL is having this drag out for months or years in the courts with every little detail in the bright bright public light. It's been bad so far. But it will get worse if it goes to court.

I'm not saying that the goal has been a payout from the start, or that they do or don't deserve one (though, **** me this has dragged on so long due to successive shit processes in AFL circles that everyone involved deserves some just for having their time wasted and reputations tarnished and/or traumas aired FOR NO REAL CONCLUSION), but we're at the do or die stage where it either goes to the courts or it doesn't. We've gone from reasonable settlement money for what happened to outright "please god stop this" hush money, and there will be a degree of brinkmanship with all of this.

Let's be real here. Mediation was NEVER going to work. The power imbalance between both parties was too significant to get a just outcome. Hawthorn and their solicitors would have been far more influential at the discussion table.

Let's be real here. Mediation was NEVER going to work. The power imbalance between both parties was too significant to get a just outcome. Hawthorn and their solicitors would have been far more influential at the discussion table.
I was skeptical, but there was always a chance that actually sitting everyone at a table together to have their say would be a big step in actually progressing forward. Previous to this latest attempt at a conclusion a sit down had, incredibly in some ways, never happened. Some have pointed to money being a sticking point, but I think the biggest one was individuals, and Hawthorn as an entity, admitting to racist conduct even if there were, rightly or wrongly, qualifiers used within that statement.

It's a shit situation, made all the worse by just how long it's been chugging along. As has been repeated, the only winners so far are the lawyers. Will probably still be the only true winners once all is actually said and done, if we reach that point (lol?)

As for going to court...

The coaches have already had their earth scorched.

I don't think that court would go too well for Peterson, in particular. Especially considering that he is the headline complaint and his story doesn't hold up very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't had a crying woman recorded on the witness stand claiming her husband's coaches tried to coerce them into having an abortion.

But everyone has already heard that. And this time, defence lawyers will get the chance to eviscerate her partner in the box over details of the claim.

But everyone has already heard that. And this time, defence lawyers will get the chance to eviscerate her partner in the box over details of the claim.
The real damage could well unfold when stories don't align. I'm sure the women involved are genuine in what they believe to be the facts of the matter but they may discover that their partners might have been a little loose with the truth.

The real damage could well unfold when stories don't align. I'm sure the women involved are genuine in what they believe to be the facts of the matter but they may discover that their partners might have been a little loose with the truth.

Agree. I was actually trying to imply that but wasn't clear enough.

I more or less agree with this, but I also think that a court battle is going to be hell for the coaches, clubs, and AFL, and that the AFL will do all they can to avoid it.

You have left out JA , who evidently was the chief instigator behind it, 4 baby mommas need to be paid…….

Who do you mean by JA?

Is it Jed Anderson?

I more or less agree with this, but I also think that a court battle is going to be hell for the coaches, clubs, and AFL, and that the AFL will do all they can to avoid it.

AFL has already cleared the coaches, last thing they want is a court digging into all that.

Do you think in the federal court that the afl will have as much say as they think.

Also what about the guy that got all this started, the one arrested for for ripping off his own indigenous community. Unfortunately I can only see coaches stepping away as this case rolls on and on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back