Alex Jesaulenko VS Malcolm Blight

Who was the best all-round utility of the 70's era?

• Alex Jesaulenko

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Malcolm Blight

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
What can I say?....2 of the finest all-round, natural footballers to have ever graced VFL football grounds....The Fyfe/Dangerfield of the 70's, only far more versatile....Both these blokes could play anywhere on the field - barr ruck - and still dominate. So mercurial were they.

Alex Jesaulenko: 279 games, 424 goals Carlton (1967-1979, St.K 1980-1981.)

Supremely gifted footballer & still the only player to have kicked the tonne for Carlton (115), back in 1970, playing at full-forward....The same year he took that spectacular mark in the Grand Final, to lead the Blues fight-back from a 44 point, half-time deficit, to lift the premiership cup....1 of 4 he was to play in....From that day forth, whenever a kid took a speckie in kick-to-kick, the cry of 'Jezza' could be heard to ring-out in school-yards, back-yards & neighborhood parks everywhere....Alex captained Carlton from 1975-1976 & again from 1978-1979. The year in which he would be the last ever player to Captain & Coach a side to a Premiership, as Big Nick had done prior, back in 1972....Jezza won the B & F at Carlton in 1975....His demise at Carlton was both dramatic & political. A sad end to a magnificent playing career there. Something my mother never forgave the club for.

Malcolm Blight: 178 games, 444 goals Nth.Melb (1974-1982).

Smooth moving graceful player was Mal, who - Like Alex - could take a spectacular mark or kick a ripping goal from anywhere....Malcolm also played at full-forward for 3 seasons, notching the tonne (103) up in 1982, his final year...No one who saw it can ever forget, his booming torpedo from 70 meters out at Princes Park, post the final siren, to get the Kangaroos up & over the line that day in 1976....In The year 1978, he deservedly won the club's B & F & also the competition's Brownlow Medal....Malcolm played in both of Norths 1975 & 1977 Premierships....Blight was one of the few Croweaters & Magarey Medalists, to live-up to his billing, prior to coming across to Victoria. A stellar career & a superbly balanced footballer.

I could go on forever about these 2.

Last edited:

• Banned
They are the last two playing coaches in this league.
Not sure ever seen a better mark in the game.

Jezza kicked how many in a state game at Adelaide Oval?

Classic Ride that one....Imprinted on my brain as a kid, as I grew up in a Blues house-hold.

That's just one of the many things in common these 2 blokes share....They also kicked the tonne playing as full-forwards....Like to see Fyfe or Dangers or Martin do thato_O.....Not to mention kick the ball & mark the ball like these 2 blokes could.

As to how many Jezza kicked that day....10 wasn't it?

Hate to toot my own horn.... But toot, toot.

How right did I get this one in hindsight.:D

What you talking abut Willis ?
Is the poll closed or something ?

Jezza was always going to win this.

Only Gary Ablett Snr v Jesaulenko is a fair battle of the two most skilled footballers to ever play the game.
Although like Gazza and Jezza, Blighty became a full forward that kicked over 100 goals even though that position was not where any of them began their playing careers. Shows how much footballing skill these 3 had. It is a pity I only saw Gazza's career in my time. Jezza was about 33 or 34 when started watching and Blighty was in his last 4 years I think, although he won the Brownlow in first season I watched footy so feel ripped off only got grainy old black and white highlights of a few Jezza marks and goals to marvel at.

Interesting Jezza and Blighty the last two playing coaches in the league.
Actually Ditterich at Melbourne coach on field anyone ?
Hodge is closest to on field coach we have now.

What you talking abut Willis ?
Is the poll closed or something ?

Jezza was always going to win this.

Only Gary Ablett Snr v Jesaulenko is a fair battle of the two most skilled footballers to ever play the game.
Although like Gazza and Jezza, Blighty became a full forward that kicked over 100 goals even though that position was not where any of them began their playing careers. Shows how much footballing skill these 3 had. It is a pity I only saw Gazza's career in my time. Jezza was about 33 or 34 when started watching and Blighty was in his last 4 years I think, although he won the Brownlow in first season I watched footy so feel ripped off only got grainy old black and white highlights of a few Jezza marks and goals to marvel at.

Interesting Jezza and Blighty the last two playing coaches in the league.
Actually Ditterich at Melbourne coach on field anyone ?
Hodge is closest to on field coach we have now.

Jesaulenko & Blight share so many traits really....Just all-round natural footballers both of em.

What I meant to say was that their comparison here is even more apt, given Blight's upgrade to legendary status; By his joining Jezza in that elite company.

No one who saw Malcolm play at his peak during the 70's & 80's could begrudge him his legendary status upgrade.....There's little in football he hasn't done.

Having said that, I'm not sure that either of Jezza or Blighty are in Ablett Senior's company as footballers....Though I can see their similarities as all round footballers.....Blighty & Jezza had a smite more going on upstairs than Ablett though.

Jesaulenko & Blight share so many traits really....Just all-round natural footballers both of em.

What I meant to say was that their comparison here is even more apt, given Blight's upgrade to legendary status; By his joining Jezza in that elite company.

No one who saw Malcolm play at his peak during the 70's & 80's could begrudge him his legendary status upgrade.....There's little in football he hasn't done.

Having said that, I'm not sure that either of Jezza or Blighty are in Ablett Senior's company as footballers....Though I can see their similarities as all round footballers.....Blighty & Jezza had a smite more going on upstairs than Ablett though.

Yeah, Blighty absolute legend
Rapped he is in the company he should be.
Jezza was a better mark than Ablett but we not going to see as much of it caught on film but what we have caught his best surpasses Gazza in that area. Was a wizard with balance and ball. Furthermore he played virtually every position on the field at one stage apart from ruck. In fact it would be hard to find another footballer whom successfully made a success in so many different positions.
Ablett just wing, half forward and full forward. Jezza was half forward, full forward, centre, half back, back pocket, you name it. He done it all. But his wizardry up forward when he was younger is where you see he was every bit as good as Ablett there. However I would think Ablett would beat him on the wing and done more torps. Do not think Ablett every kicked 10 in a state game like Jezza did though.
Trust me mate, if you look at the old black and white highlights you will notice the wizardry and ball control every bit as good as Ablett in colour tv and better quality pictures we saw in 1980s and 90s.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tenor.gif

Is it just me or is Jezza's GF mark the most overrated OAT? Decent grab but nothing special IMO.

Both superstars.

Jezza himself said that mark of his was nothing special to many other grabs he took.
Post#7 shows a way better one but unlike now we do not see it from several angles to appreciate how good it was.

Wasn't it considered one of tbe best due to the circumstance of tbe game?

Yep. An iconic moment in a turning point of the match.

A bit like Leo Barrys mark. I must have seen Archer take 50 of those type of marks.

Is it just me or is Jezza's GF mark the most overrated OAT? Decent grab but nothing special IMO.

Both superstars.

Decent grab, made special for the moment as you mentioned - the commentary, the occasion, the history of that grand final.

On pure marking alone it is definitely overrated. Good speccy but hardly Moorcroft/Walker/Smith

Wasn't it considered one of tbe best due to the circumstance of tbe game?

Yes, but personally I rate a mark for how good it is regardless of when it's taken.
Jezza did not rate it anywhere near his best. Apparently take just before half time of that famous grand final.

Decent grab, made special for the moment as you mentioned - the commentary, the occasion, the history of that grand final.

On pure marking alone it is definitely overrated.

Exactly.

Back