All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s confirmed in the EFL to under 20s guessing northern will follow suit

Geez is that necessary? I get a season has been lost, but we are not talking about 12/13yo kids here as puberty and development starts to differentiate and a bit.

18/19yo lads in most part expect to be treated as adults these days, or is this about a Friday night concept that may keep young men in the game / club affiliated and a balance in allowing them to still partake in employment etc and still have a kick?

would assume it's to keep more people playing footy, not uncommon for fellas to drop out after 19's footy, so at least those blokes might get 1 more year and you potentially get a couple more who carry on into senior footy

They are not changing the 19.5 rule what they will do is be more sympathetic to dispensation requests. This will allow them to monitor the over aged ones and if they start to dominate they can withdraw the dispensation, its very sneaky idea which will allow blokes to play but not play well. I recon there will be a few lads that will not appear in the best of if they kick a bag will only have 1 recorded....

They are not changing the 19.5 rule what they will do is be more sympathetic to dispensation requests. This will allow them to monitor the over aged ones and if they start to dominate they can withdraw the dispensation, its very sneaky idea which will allow blokes to play but not play well. I recon there will be a few lads that will not appear in the best of if they kick a bag will only have 1 recorded....
Really? I heard they were extending the age like the EFL are. I think it would be much better as it would keep those young blokes at clubs who probably weren’t going to play footy ever again and it would bring more players into clubs

Really? I heard they were extending the age like the EFL are. I think it would be much better as it would keep those young blokes at clubs who probably weren’t going to play footy ever again and it would bring more players into clubs

I agree but they can still play just with dispensation. This allows the League to monitor the older ones to make sure they are not dominating and dispensation can be removed. Its the same as every year just they will be more lenient to those that missed 2020.

Any word on players leaving or signing back on at clubs?
I know a lot of clubs are now trying to lock away all players for next year, if they haven’t already

I agree but they can still play just with dispensation. This allows the League to monitor the older ones to make sure they are not dominating and dispensation can be removed. Its the same as every year just they will be more lenient to those that missed 2020.

Still may change. EFL have gone to 18s and 20s and YJFL looking at going to 18s. If YJFL go to 18s then NFL will have no alternative then to go to 20s as there may be a lot of clubs - Heidelberg, St Mary's, Banyule, Macleod, Bundoora, etc who may struggle to field 19s due to lack of numbers

Hearing rumblings of some unhappy players in D1. Unfortunately 200k to 100k is a 50% drop and players need to understand that’s the reality
It is the reality, but it’s a ridiculous one really. Why earn $300 when you can get $500-$600 in a lower division as one of the highest paid players . The salaries are way to close to lower levels and the standard of the higher Division is going to suffer big time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is the reality, but it’s a ridiculous one really. Why earn $300 when you can get $500-$600 in a lower division as one of the highest paid players . The salaries are way to close to lower levels and the standard of the higher Division is going to suffer big time!
Agreed mate, pretty average Reservoir can spend 20k less than Eltham for example.

Imo should be 120k, 90k, 60k

There will be a lot of back door deals going on.

I think the lowering of caps and a unified approach across Melbourne/Vic is a sensible thing to do, but 100% they've gone too far with it...

Interested to know what the clubs think, and how the players react - more movement/less movement, potential loss of players? There are certainly some blokes that are decent footballers that might pull the pin if they can make more at work on a Saturday, which would be a shame for those of us that love good quality local footy.

I think the lowering of caps and a unified approach across Melbourne/Vic is a sensible thing to do, but 100% they've gone too far with it...

Interested to know what the clubs think, and how the players react - more movement/less movement, potential loss of players? There are certainly some blokes that are decent footballers that might pull the pin if they can make more at work on a Saturday, which would be a shame for those of us that love good quality local footy.
It’s a good move overall. I know so many clubs in serious debt over the years. It’s simply not sustainable and a huge burden on clubs and volunteers.

Events should be run for fun not out of desperation of keeping a club afloat. Sure some clubs can spend 300k easily but maybe they’ll throw that extra money into coaches, facilities and running quality events.

I think people seriously underestimate how many clubs have been in serious trouble it would surprise many.

Gone are the days In paying a couple of stars $1k a game. You’d have to think your max player would be on $600-$700. It’s going to hurt the standard badly. In saying that I’m sure there will be clubs paying players through TAB tickets or the like!

Has there been sign of quality players dropping down or moving to find the big deal$? I imagine it would make recruiting a challenge, trying to lure blokes for overs when the clubs better players are playing for a pie and a 6pack will upset plenty.

Journo that has no facts and want clicks. Whilst there is possibilities this could happen the way we are going we will be able to train earlier. Its only 8 Oct, to go out on a limb I predict groups of 10 by early Nov and 1 Jan proper training...

🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞

Journo that has no facts and want clicks. Whilst there is possibilities this could happen the way we are going we will be able to train earlier. Its only 8 Oct, to go out on a limb I predict groups of 10 by early Nov and 1 Jan proper training...

🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞

I cant read the article but the current roadmap allows full contact training for adults on Nov 23rd.

I cant read the article but the current roadmap allows full contact training for adults on Nov 23rd.

Lets hope mate, it was just sensational journalism, have a headline with worst possible results speak to a few unknown people and scare people into clicking on her link. I have no idea but they may get paid more for the more clicks, I am sure there is things like that do happen.

Lets hope mate, it was just sensational journalism, have a headline with worst possible results speak to a few unknown people and scare people into clicking on her link. I have no idea but they may get paid more for the more clicks, I am sure there is things like that do happen.

local footy/rugby seemed to go ahead with no/minimal issues in all other states. Once under control in Vic, and I well and truly it is under control by Christmas there should be no fear with the season going ahead to the “new normal”

local footy/rugby seemed to go ahead with no/minimal issues in all other states. Once under control in Vic, and I well and truly it is under control by Christmas there should be no fear with the season going ahead to the “new normal”
For better or worse we won’t be opening up until cases aren’t very low. Dan Andrews like him or not has shown he’ll stick to a plan despite any pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back