Game Day Amenities, advertising, value for money or just eye pollution.

Remove this Banner Ad

PavSandHill

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New Zealand All Blacks
Over the years the amenities at Subiaco Oval has stayed static or deteriorated depending on your point of view. I haven't/read much by way of praise, but there maybe some I'm unaware of. I haven't been to every vendor around the ground, but from what I have seen, nothing leaps out at me as a cut above, ......... anything.

Now our game day enjoyment is being bombarded by visuals, and primarily I'm talking electronic media, but don't restrict to just one medium, after seemingly every passage of play. The constant referral by radio commentators to "this" scoreboard or "that" mark of the day is obviously revenue raising for the station, and we can switch off, but it's getting harder to avoid the visual bombardment.

When the electronic billboards in front of the fence turned up, I questioned if there was, or could be a distraction to the players factor that hadn't been considered. Now we have sponsors advertising, messages, etc etc etc being bombarded all around us. The actual cost of the amenities, tickets,food,beverages etc aren't exactly cheap, compared to what is available elsewhere. The advertising, the visual flashing distraction around the ground, not relating to the match, ie stats, replays, coach reaming players like Hall, etc etc, if that actually related into better amenities, well ok, maybe......

However I don't think it does. I can't get a bolt fixed in a seat I've had for nearly 10 years. Our, I was going to say fees, lease goes up annually and we pay about $10-$25 (casual enquiry on a number of ticket options across clubs Vic, & others) per person per game. (Based on my 2012 lease) considering the cost factor here, and the fact the new stadium is years away, and annual seat leases are only going to rise, was 2012 value for money.

Given the Arena experience at the Hopman Cup, is my flask and "sammy" at the footy at risk? Give everything that has happened in the transition from member to "annual seat leasor", can I actually demand better amenities, now, whilst they're hammering me with their advertising? Is it visual pollution?

Or is it just a waste of time?

Nothing is going to happen at Subiaco if that is what you are asking. They will suck it up until the new stadium is complete. If they ever take the option to take a drink and food to the footy then I am not sure what would happen and people should be outraged.

So I thought, until the Hopman Cup at Perth arena reports

Is it really that hard to keyster some snacks? I generally take a couple of cabanossi for me and the wife to munch on, which really does make it easy to sneak them in.

Whilst that is informative in itself, what I was wondering, I 'spose, where's the money going?

Is it really that hard to keyster some snacks? I generally take a couple of cabanossi for me and the wife to munch on, which really does make it easy to sneak them in.

I had a spare ticket to the derby so I brought a mate who brought a 3L bottle of soft drink with him.

After the first round he cracks this Kola Beer and pours us both one, except it turned out his Kola Beer was actually a brown ale homebrew with a new sealed cap on. It was strong too, I was pretty jolly by the time the siren went. The scoreline helped too of course.

I'm not a fan of greasy food and watered down beer. Why do we have to put up with carlton mid when you can have full strength in Melb???
Have to get yourself some barnoculars. You won't see a thing through them but you can pour a full bottle of spirits into them and walk straight through the gates with them around your neck. Works a treat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The state government is screwing the AFL again by fixturing a ARL match on the first week of the finals again on the Saturday night, despite the AFL asking them not too.

F...ing Barnett. He doesn't care. Especially on a year when both teams could require a home final.

The state government is screwing the AFL again by fixturing a ARL match on the first week of the finals again on the Saturday night, despite the AFL asking them not too.

F...ing Barnett. He doesn't care. Especially on a year when both teams could require a home final.

If it ment Freo would have to have a 6 day turn around instead of 7 I would be p---d.

We'll just have to finish ahead of the eagles so they're the team that gets screwed.

Over the years the amenities at Subiaco Oval has stayed static or deteriorated depending on your point of view. I haven't/read much by way of praise, but there maybe some I'm unaware of. I haven't been to every vendor around the ground, but from what I have seen, nothing leaps out at me as a cut above, ......... anything.

Now our game day enjoyment is being bombarded by visuals, and primarily I'm talking electronic media, but don't restrict to just one medium, after seemingly every passage of play. The constant referral by radio commentators to "this" scoreboard or "that" mark of the day is obviously revenue raising for the station, and we can switch off, but it's getting harder to avoid the visual bombardment.

When the electronic billboards in front of the fence turned up, I questioned if there was, or could be a distraction to the players factor that hadn't been considered. Now we have sponsors advertising, messages, etc etc etc being bombarded all around us. The actual cost of the amenities, tickets,food,beverages etc aren't exactly cheap, compared to what is available elsewhere. The advertising, the visual flashing distraction around the ground, not relating to the match, ie stats, replays, coach reaming players like Hall, etc etc, if that actually related into better amenities, well ok, maybe......

However I don't think it does. I can't get a bolt fixed in a seat I've had for nearly 10 years. Our, I was going to say fees, lease goes up annually and we pay about $10-$25 (casual enquiry on a number of ticket options across clubs Vic, & others) per person per game. (Based on my 2012 lease) considering the cost factor here, and the fact the new stadium is years away, and annual seat leases are only going to rise, was 2012 value for money.

Given the Arena experience at the Hopman Cup, is my flask and "sammy" at the footy at risk? Give everything that has happened in the transition from member to "annual seat leasor", can I actually demand better amenities, now, whilst they're hammering me with their advertising? Is it visual pollution?

Or is it just a waste of time?
I have always wondered this.. with the increased sponsorship/advertising money going into the coffers, where the hell is it going if prices for everything relating to patrons is going up every year?

Its one reason i wanted the Perth Arena to have naming rights given away to help subsidise the costs of the thing being built.

In short i have NFI where the money is going, but it sure as hell isnt assisting the paying public in any tangible way i can see

Typical.

heck that guy, get him the heck outa office.

*chortles*

Everyone everywhere just sells things to make profits for themselves, not to help other people out. People will still go to the football, regardless of how trite Subi is. Those deranged Eagles fans with 15-year waiting lists will take up a seat if a current member doesn't like the leg room. With a new stadium being threatened to be built, Subi's facilities won't improve at all.

Good old WA. So much potential, so little movement.

Pretty much what SA said except it's naive to suggest it's a WA thing. Vendors charge more at the footy because people will pay more at the footy. Likewise brands increasing their presence within AFL matches via naming rights and advertising, to elevate themselves from selling products to selling lifestyles and culture, is a completely separate issue.

I'll never understand why people buy food at the footy anyway. Can't people go 3 or 4 hours without eating?

And the food is so s**t I'd happily go twice that long if I had to, especially with Jus Burgers just down the road after the game if you need it.

I'll never understand why people buy food at the footy anyway. Can't people go 3 or 4 hours without eating?

And the food is so s**t I'd happily go twice that long if I had to, especially with Jus Burgers just down the road after the game if you need it.
I'd rather go back into Freo for something to eat. Fifteen bucks for a tiny burger with an arty knife in the top is OTT. Especially when you wait 45 minutes for it.

Lol at complaining about the price of food and suggesting jus burgers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back