Andrew McLeod - How underrated is this guy?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I think of McLeod the word 'scintillating' comes to mind.
2001 he was basically the most talked about player in the league, but then the Fab Four of Brisbane kinda wrenched it away.

Matera or McLeod who ya got

Ouch. One of the harder picks I'd have to make. I think Matera's best was better but McLeod played his best more often if that makes sense... all based off memory; stats may damn me on this one.

I remember early 90s, Victoria Park, I'm about 5 years old - my uncle took me to see Pies vs WCE and I was about 15 metres from WCE huddle. He tells me to yell out "Oi Matera, you're a w***er!" Matera turns around and gives me as sharp a set of daggers you will ever see, it's been etched in my brain ever since.

Supremely talented player.

As someone else pointed out. the 2001 Brownlow should of been his, He lost by 1 vote to Aker and didnt rack up any votes where he was clearly the second best player on the ground behind Bell, However Fletcher and White got 2 and 1

All accounts he should of at least snagged 1 vote and shared the medal.

And wasn't "Just" a HBF.

The result of that game cost him the medal. Adelaide got destroyed by a team that had only won 1 game for the entire season and had not won at home until that game.

Can't agree with underrated. Few when asked directly would suggest anything less than what the majority here have said about him. It's just that usually conversations about the 'best players' or 'team of whatever ' become primarily Vic-centric (makes sense given fanbase).

But once people are encouraged to look broader he is always mentioned.

I think the best evidence to say he isn't underrated is that Port supporters (evidenced in this thread snd several others) concede he is a great. Once your biggest rival concedes the point I think it's just about rock solid.

Underrated would then be the wrong term.

He is almost a forgotten man as people get asked about the 90s, and he isn’t mentioned in the top half dozen or so best players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a half-back, he definitely didn't man up enough and was not a defensive enough player. Pretty soft too.

Ricciuto was the better player.

McLeod was one of the best player in the history of AFL/VFL, period. He would be a serious weapon in the modern game as versatility is now the key, and you can literally put him anywhere from defence to midfield to forward, and he’d likely give a similarly high output in performance.

As a defender, I can’t imagine any small to mid-sized forward beating him. As a midfielder, he was mainly responsible for the damage the Crows had done in 1997 and 1998, culminating in 2 Norm Smith performances. And as a forward, he has kicked bags of 5,6 and 7 goals, and this is him playing predominantly in the midfield/HBF!

I think the word is under-mentioned rather than underrated.

I'm still salty about that day nearly 21 years later. There were two of the greatest players of all time playing that day. One bloke who couldn't kick straight and McLeod, who won the Norm Smith that day and is still one of my all time favorite players.

The best indigenous player I've ever seen (Krakouers, Cable, Polly all before my time).

I think it’s quite fitting that during the Sir Doug Nicholas Indigenous Round, McLeod is afforded some recognition as one of the more underrated footballers over the last 20 years.

If we’re talking HBFers, his name would be amongst the first mentioned, but when talking about the best players over the last 20 years, is he that far off from getting a mention?

340 games, 275 goals, 2 Norm Smiths, 2 flags, 5 All Australians (1 as captain), 3 B&Fs and 1 Leigh Matthews trophy.

Is he underrated?
Ask Gerard Neesham.

Supremely talented player.

As someone else pointed out. the 2001 Brownlow should of been his, He lost by 1 vote to Aker and didnt rack up any votes where he was clearly the second best player on the ground behind Bell, However Fletcher and White got 2 and 1

All accounts he should of at least snagged 1 vote and shared the medal.

And wasn't "Just" a HBF.

The brownlow tallys I've seen have Aker on 23 and Mcleod on 21. Probably should've snagged at least 1 vote, but 2 is debatable on a 37 point loss..

Not a good thread. You’d be hard pressed to find anyone who saw him play that doesn’t rate him as one of the greats of the last few decades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back