Review Another One Down, Who’s Next - Freo by 3 Over Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve got Tabs & Lobb. That’s two.

Tracey & Amiss are the backups without having to move defenders around.

No decent team has more than 2 big key forwards at any time and playing three seems to make us too slow and the ball comes out too easy when it hits the deck.
Three talls can work.

Considering that players need a rest on the bench and if you go one ruck, one forward/ruck and one key post and one sits on the bench you struggle in the air.

Freddy makes the team want to go faster.

Hes no slouch. The kid works hard
Hence why can’t see Sturt coming in. Runs everywhere, Freddy. Even if he doesn’t have the ball, he’s working hard off it.
Sturt needs to do that off the ball if he comes in. Jlo values defensive pressure more at the moment. It’s no coincidence that Fremantle has a high turnover to goal ratio

The big f to me.

Acres I thought you were hard done by the Saints by playing everywhere from Half back to half forward. Never letting you settle into anyone role.

I felt you could be good for us because you could settle on a wing. You played great one week and horrible the next. Wanted you to never wear purple too up and down.

This year you said f u to me and are playing amazing.

Sometimes it’s great being wrong and sorry Blake.

My partner was in the kitchen while I watched & I pointed out how flat & monotone the commentary had become since we got on top & she was able to follow the fortunes of the game simply by the inflection & pitch of the voices which only rose in pitch & intensity when Geelong were attacking.
It’s SO unprofessional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should have been listening to 6pr!!!!
Pathetic commentary and Hardie is a boring sh*tstain - providing special comments by someone who hates Fremantle and he just talks absolute s**t….

Sorry for the intrusion but I would just like to say that I was very impressed by Fremantle yesterday.

I really see potential in the side and when you add Fyfe, Darcy and Taberner it’s scary. You guys have some good years ahead of you.

Unlike us. 😒
I thought your men would push our kids over in the contest.
Was very impressed that they stood up.
They would have folded last year & I think teams really targeted us in the last few years for our soft contesting.
Good game.
Cant wait for the next clash.

I thought your men would push our kids over in the contest.
Was very impressed that they stood up.
They would have folded last year & I think teams really targeted us in the last few years for our soft contesting.
Good game.
Cant wait for the next clash.

My thoughts were similar and in the first 10 minutes. I was getting prepared for a snooze fest and to knock Freo over.

But that game is one to remember for you guys. Could be the turning point for us.

GG.

A bit of context for this win. Only 33 teams have won at Kardinia Park since 2000.
Here are the teams and the ladder position they ended up at the end of the year. (note there are also 2 draws)

2 Adelaide 3,6
4 Brisbane Lions 2,3,2,6
1 Carlton 11
0 Collingwood -
0 Essendon -
4 Fremantle 1,10,QF3, 2022(sky is the limit)
0 Gold Coast -
2 Greater Western Sydney 6,7
1 Hawthorn 11
3 Melbourne 13,1,7 (1 draw -7)
5 North Melbourne 4,8, 13,10
2 Port Adelaide 3,2
1 Richmond 9
0 St Kilda -
4 Sydney 6,7,1,6
1 West Coast 1 (1 draw - 7)
3 Western Bulldogs 16,12,10 - (2001-2003)

Looking at the interstate team positions shows how big this win is.

Last edited:
Besides out contested ball stuff & tackling.

How is our handball game.
It's like a volleyball out there.
I keep waiting for the lads to get htb but they are just too quick & always have someone to receive.
It is actually quite effective, the opposition doesn't know whether to tackle as they only have possession for mili seconds..

Once we sought out the forward line, going to be something to behold.

Besides out contested ball stuff & tackling.

How is our handball game.
It's like a volleyball out there.
I keep waiting for the lads to get htb but they are just too quick & always have someone to receive.
It is actually quite effective, the opposition doesn't know whether to tackle as they only have possession for mili seconds..

Once we sought out the forward line, going to be something to behold.
For years our team had too many at the coal face and had no receivers on the outside of the contest.

Force us to hack kick long and at the same time getting killed on the spread.

We have the right structure around the contest, salute to the coaching team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only discovered who this Howie guy is yesterday and far out. He's out of the same commentary school as Kelly. It's painful.

Dal Santo is pretty good. Brad Johnson is a flog. That pick 59 in the 2007 draft did well I thought. Backed us in to win it as well. Showed alot of confidence.

High fend off high fend off. Cheerleaders.

I thought Brad Johnson sounded genuinely happy about our win. Was pretty much gushing about us after the game.

Howie is absolutely dreadful though and needs to * off back to BBL permanently

For the purpose of this post I don't consider Lobb part of the midfield unless he is the only ruckman we play.

I would like to get more goals from the midfield. Last game we had three: Tucker, O'Driscoll and Acres. 30%

We had three again against Carlton: Darcy, Brodie and Acres 21% (and this was with their mids kicking a third of their goals)

Essendon was three goals again: Darcy, Darcy, Brayshaw (19%)

I think as clubs start to work against our forward structure we will need more contribution from the midfielders working hard to present options or scoring direct from stoppages.

This is where I think Fyfe will be the most value add, not because he will play forward, but because he will be standing at CHF when we are kicking the ball from RHFF and it's a much less risky kick inboard when you're kicking to Fyfe over Serong and a much easier shot from in front.
During pre-season our half backs look dangerous when pushing forward. Obviously more difficult in the big time, but they do have the capability.

I thought Brad Johnson sounded genuinely happy about our win. Was pretty much gushing about us after the game.

Howie is absolutely dreadful though and needs to fu** off back to BBL permanently
Agree, maybe it's the Bob Murphy connection

Geelong’s ground announcer

And to editorialise for all a moment, telling a crowd to make some noise at a boundary throw in six minutes into the third quarter when the Cats have not scored a goal for more than a quarter is not right. Geelong are the second oldest club in the game’s history and their fans provide a unique atmosphere at their home ground. They do not need to be told how to act at the football nor turned into an American environment on the surf coast. People are all for innovation but not useless copy cat ideas.
I was able to get down to the game, sitting with the rest of the purple in our little away fan section. The Geelong crowd were bizarrely quiet, it wasn't until the final quarter that they made any noise at all.

Howie is absolutely dreadful though and needs to fu** off back to BBL permanently
Oh please, * him off completely, don’t send him back to the BBL. He’s shyte there too!

Just watched it again and fu** me. The commentary team, particularly flog “Howie” with this constant circle-jerk about Selwood and co. Being so tough and blah blah, when our contest and our determination and belief won the game was a travesty. Surely we have earned the right to have some degree of respectful commentary rather than this s**t.

Him running back with flight was called brave.
He took his eyes off the ball and planned to clean up the player.

A bit of context for this win. Only 33 teams have won at Kardinia Park since 2000.
Here are the teams and the ladder position they ended up at the end of the year. (note there are also 2 draws)

2 Adelaide 3,6
4 Brisbane Lions 2,3,2,6
1 Carlton 11
0 Collingwood -
0 Essendon -
4 Fremantle 1,10,QF3, 2022(sky is the limit)
0 Gold Coast -
2 Greater Western Sydney 6,7
1 Hawthorn 11
3 Melbourne 13,1,7 (1 draw -7)
5 North Melbourne 4,8, 13,10
2 Port Adelaide 3,2
1 Richmond 9
0 St Kilda -
4 Sydney 6,7,1,6
1 West Coast 1 (1 draw - 7)
3 Western Bulldogs 16,12,10 - (2001-2003)

Looking at the interstate team positions shows how big this win is.
Love some good data. You might recall the Eagles victory (narrow like ours) was in a year they won the flag, and that they beat a (decent) side that won three of the next five flags. Take out is: when good sides win down there they usually go on to achieve success (i don't think the Bulldogs' results are relevant as both sides were s**t).

Howie is a cats fan which means he really shouldn’t have been calling the game at all.

I rate him middle of the road in terms of footy callers - better than the main channel 7 fools like Darcy and Hamish but nowhere near as good as Huddo.

An annoying moment was Logues don’t argue late on. That was never a free kick but they were all whinging about it. Dusty’s has been doing it for years, usually followed by a big circle jerk from the commentators. How was this any different?

Howie is a cats fan which means he really shouldn’t have been calling the game at all.

I rate him middle of the road in terms of footy callers - better than the main channel 7 fools like Darcy and Hamish but nowhere near as good as Huddo.

An annoying moment was Logues don’t argue late on. That was never a free kick but they were all whinging about it. Dusty’s has been doing it for years, usually followed by a big circle jerk from the commentators. How was this any different?
I actually like Howie with cricket, as long as he's accompanied by people like Ponting and Fleming. With football, which he knows nothing about, he's cringeworthy, although he wouldn't be as bad if he was on with Jordan Lewis & Jack Riewoldt, who I quite enjoyed on the Brisbane-Sydney game.

King on The First Crack tonight. Grudging respect for us, but still in denial.
It was like he thought ‘I have to acknowledge them, but I’m still going to passively aggressively s**t on them’ w***er!

Talked about the last bounce in the game, and showed the footage how well the Cats set up for a late goal, that didn’t work, no mention of Mundy/Freos set play to stop the Cats getting the ball.
w***er!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back