Review Another wasted season

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of luck in the Brisbane and Essendon games are we are storming into finals and on the cusp of a new era of success.

Instead we want to turf half the playing list, the entire recruiting team, and Shaw would want to deliver soon or he is on notice, too.

Things change quickly. Look at Brisbane this year, Collingwood last year, Richmond the year before, the Dogs the year before that.

Ziebell finds a role, EVW plays some footy without doing any more knees, Simpkin gains consistency...

Just a few things need to click and the entire dynamic changes.

Not far off finals i agree, but a fair margin off contending.

Our mids are the biggest issue by far. Maybe LDU gets a tank, Simpkin plays consistently near his best and Thomas take a big step up - then we'd be very close. The problem is we really need a skilled burst center square type badly! And the clock is ticking on quite a few of our guys.

I lean towards backing in that organic growth on what ive seen this year, but understand those that want to heavily trim for more green growth.

Really? It's interesting that you waited until now tell us all what you were expecting at the start of the season ...

I jumped on a cruise thinking yeah Waite retired but we will be ok, Maj will get better as a defender and pinch-hit (maybe even more) in the forward line, which he did with success in 2018, I got off the boat and heard the news of Maj's incident and thought well this is going to be a great year with Brown one out on the forward line, with a young kid who had played 2 games without taking a mark in 2017, I didn't expect the rise of Zurhaar or the mature poise of TT, apologies for not letting you know my thoughts earlier.

I jumped on a cruise thinking yeah Waite retired but we will be ok, Maj will get better as a defender and pinch-hit (maybe even more) in the forward line, which he did with success in 2018, I got off the boat and heard the news of Maj's incident and thought well this is going to be a great year with Brown one out on the forward line, with a young kid who had played 2 games without taking a mark in 2017, I didn't expect the rise of Zurhaar or the mature poise of TT, apologies for not letting you know my thoughts earlier.

All good. Unfortunately, foresight looks a lot like hindsight when it's reported after the fact. So, apologies for being unable to distinguish between them.

Not hugely surprising I guess. Long as we get value back. Son's due for a new #23 signature on his Kieran Harper edition North jumper.

It could have a Hibberd Mountford feel to it, will be interesting. Shaw has time for Durds & Maj is expected to resume. EVW we rate highly. I personally haven't seen McKay play, but if it's to be believed he isn't impressing many at VFL level.

But things can change quick as you know.

Quite frankly, it is one of the most disappointing years on record..

After a promising 2018 season, hushing the critics and playing quality football with a maligned list was so satisfying it brought on belief that we could press into the 8 and solidify our position as nothing short of contenders. I still believe we are the best side outside the top 6 and quite frankly am annoyed greatly!

NMFC butchered their season, albeit to an incompetent coach who embellished the rule changes without knowing how to implement them into a strategy 🤦‍♂️

As much as a win is satisfying after last weeks performance and BBB bagging 10 and cementing himself for a coleman.. plus seeing the entire team put in and buy in to send ST off his last home game was awesome.. but we had the chance to improve our draft position and to be fair, we dont always get an opportunity to hit the early picks, just seems an opportunity lost.. also to knock those scumbags out of the top 8 would of made the year much more satisfying after such disappointment

Quite frankly, it is one of the most disappointing years on record..

After a promising 2018 season, hushing the critics and playing quality football with a maligned list was so satisfying it brought on belief that we could press into the 8 and solidify our position as nothing short of contenders. I still believe we are the best side outside the top 6 and quite frankly am annoyed greatly!

NMFC butchered their season, albeit to an incompetent coach who embellished the rule changes without knowing how to implement them into a strategy 🤦‍♂️

As much as a win is satisfying after last weeks performance and BBB bagging 10 and cementing himself for a coleman.. plus seeing the entire team put in and buy in to send ST off his last home game was awesome.. but we had the chance to improve our draft position and to be fair, we dont always get an opportunity to hit the early picks, just seems an opportunity lost.. also to knock those scumbags out of the top 8 would of made the year much more satisfying after such disappointment

I was once like you are now, the draft position is much more than an early pick, have a couple of recent examples that have swayed my opinion.

Larkey Nat draft #73, Zurhaar rookie pick. Bailey Scott Nat draft #49 Curtis Taylor Nat draft #46 Kyron Hayden rokkie pick.

All played for us in 2019, a couple of them have been outstanding. 3 rising star noms and a fourth in TT who was called top ten. Draft position does play a part but having people spotting the talent all through the draft is much more important.

We seem to have improved in that area.

I was once like you are now, the draft position is much more than an early pick, have a couple of recent examples that have swayed my opinion.

Larkey Nat draft #73, Zurhaar rookie pick. Bailey Scott Nat draft #49 Curtis Taylor Nat draft #46 Kyron Hayden rokkie pick.

All played for us in 2019, a couple of them have been outstanding. 3 rising star noms and a fourth in TT who was called top ten. Draft position does play a part but having people spotting the talent all through the draft is much more important.

Your chances of picking up a star or a player with longevity is higher in earlier picks.. plus Serong, Young and Ash are players we are screaming out for .. we wont get one of them in our draft order which is disappointing

I remember. You were rather frustrated with our win in the final round of 2017 that meant we went to 4th last and not last. The top 5 picks lottery was very well illustrated in the following draft.

Our player development has been excellent in recent years.

There's not a lot wrong with the footy dept, since Brad moved on.

Our player development has been excellent in recent years.

There's not a lot wrong with the footy dept, since Brad moved on.

yeah some must pre-date Scott's departure though? And I'd suggest as soon as we dropped the sports-science rubbish and started focusing on football being a game of skill and putting in place the 4x4 skilled based training regime for all players that has helped us immensely. Amazing how we hit targets last night, who'd have thought practice makes perfect?

I'm trying to be nice to Scott, he must take some credit? A tad, a drop in the ocean?

I remember. You were rather frustrated with our win in the final round of 2017 that meant we went to 4th last and not last. The top 5 picks lottery was very well illustrated in the following draft.

Ha yeah I was, from memory the celebration in here didn't help my mood. But yeah was proven wrong , although look at the Bears two years later- reckon they tried that day?

Not that it matters now.

yeah some must pre-date Scott's departure though? And I'd suggest as soon as we dropped the sports-science rubbish and started focusing on football being a game of skill and putting in place the 4x4 skilled based training regime for all players that has helped us immensely. Amazing how we hit targets last night, who'd have thought practice makes perfect?

I'm trying to be nice to Scott, he must take some credit? A tad, a drop in the ocean?

Isn't Tudor Norths forward coach?

I can't complain about his input. I'd extend his contract right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People management ie the Maj incident "he was brilliant" in fairness. Just not an AFL coach, would make a wonderful Wellness Officer. I know how much you'd appreciate that.:p

I doubt he'll coach again tbh.

Then "wellness officer", let him be.

It's not even close to being considered for the NMFC coach.

Which is closer to the mark the Geelong game or the Port game? I think both results are imposters. We have a history of rattling home late which, if truth to be told, says more about the other teams than us. Earnest old North.The very best teams still have a talent gap on us - let's not kid ourselves - despite the rise of the most talented bunch of kids In more than 20 years. Would have preferred a top 5 pick over 7 or 8. Will it make much difference? We'll thump Melbourne and they'll bag Rowell or Anderson. Not one scribe will have us ahead of them for 2020. The draft is a joke.

Which is closer to the mark the Geelong game or the Port game? I think both results are imposters. We have a history of rattling home late which, if truth to be told, says more about the other teams than us. Earnest old North.The very best teams still have a talent gap on us - let's not kid ourselves - despite the rise of the most talented bunch of kids In more than 20 years. Would have preferred a top 5 pick over 7 or 8. Will it make much difference? We'll thump Melbourne and they'll bag Rowell or Anderson. Not one scribe will have us ahead of them for 2020. The draft is a joke.

There’s no joy in the game for you, is there? Nobody is kidding themselves. It is what it is. We line up next year and it all begins again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ha yeah I was, from memory the celebration in here didn't help my mood. But yeah was proven wrong , although look at the Bears two years later- reckon they tried that day?

Not that it matters now.

Lets put that in perspective tho.

With a minute to go in the game against the bears a month or two ago we marked in front of their goal and should have been in a good position to go forward, break the deadlock and win the game. s**t umpiring decision at the death and everything changed. Two years earlier didn't have much effect on that game.

Cam Raynor had 6 possessions and one mark but didn't kick a goal. Would we have picked anyone other than LDU if we had first pick?

There’s no joy in the game for you, is there? Nobody is kidding themselves. It is what it is. We line up next year and it all begins again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think he's looking for less of the instant gratification, hollow joy of a meaningless late season win and more for the meaningful progress required so that we can actually contend again. And that's where the real joy is.

Lets put that in perspective tho.

With a minute to go in the game against the bears a month or two ago we marked in front of their goal and should have been in a good position to go forward, break the deadlock and win the game. s**t umpiring decision at the death and everything changed. Two years earlier didn't have much effect on that game.

Cam Raynor had 6 possessions and one mark but didn't kick a goal. Would we have picked anyone other than LDU if we had first pick?

Dead right mate and that was my point, I've changed my view since then. Although I still feel we, supporters & club celebrated that victory more than I.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back