Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

fair.

I don’t agree with decreasing list sizes. I mean, if you want to cut costs just lower the salary cap by 10 or 15%. With our injuries imagine if we had 5-7 fewer players!
The powers that be would argue that with games being reduced to 16 minute quarters, there would be a correlating reduction in wear and tear and injuries on the players. But not enough to compensate for reduced list sizes, I agree.

Cox going inside after he fell awkwardly. Was limping. Hopefully it's nothing serious.But walked by himself and looked like it got better the more he walked

I'm not so sure about Mayne having half the talent as Broomy, maybe he doesn't look as polished as him but when you consider what he has achieved since being in the senior side it takes a lot of talent to become as good as Mayne. Broomy on the other hand has only ever shown that he can play VFL

Any player who has shown they can compile 20+ possessions and have scoreboard impact dividing their time forward-midfield has shown they can play AFL.

Any player who has shown they can compile 20+ possessions and have scoreboard impact dividing their time forward-midfield has shown they can play AFL.

I could probably rattle off hundreds of players who have had 20 possesions and scoreboard impact that only played a handful of games, he hasn't proven anything, especially at AFL level so I can't see what you're basing that on, he is just a spare parts man

The powers that be would argue that with games being reduced to 16 minute quarters, there would be a correlating reduction in wear and tear and injuries on the players. But not enough to compensate for reduced list sizes, I agree.

Yeah but mostly it's about saving $. But it'll deny a lot of people chances. Imagine if we had smaller lists when Mihocek was trying to get on a list a couple of years ago. He would have had no career.

I could probably rattle off hundreds of players who have had 20 possesions and scoreboard impact that only played a handful of games, he hasn't proven anything, especially at AFL level so I can't see what you're basing that on, he is just a spare parts man

Back in 2015 he was a staple (or becoming one) in the AFL team before he hurt his shoulder. Admittedly, a wretched run since then, but I reckon he would have been a regular the year he broke his leg -- before that intervened.

Last edited:
SO went down to training this morning. Was chilly wind, even though the sun was peaking through. Got a little warmer later on, but mostly... I'm glad I bought a jacket with me.

Session lasted from around 10am (or there abouts) til about 2pm. When considering this session was split between two groups at a time, containing to 6 players -- so 12 in total. Each group was on the ground for around half hour or so, and times that by 3 groups. You can understand why the Wed session would go on longer than usual.

Group 1. Grundy, Daicos, Rantall, Crisp, Ruscoe, Stevo, Sidebottom
Group 2. Tyler Brown, Atu, Varcoe, Noble, Mayne, De Goey and Cal Brown

Group 3.Murphy, Bianco, Thomas, Madgen, Roughy, Cox
Group 4.Wilson, Quaynor, Adams, Maynard, Wills, Elliott, Phillips

Group 5. Mihochek, Lynch, Sier, Shaz, Appleby, Moore
Group 6. Cameron, Howe, WHE, Kelly, Dunn, Reid

Not a lot going on. Mainly ball drills. Goundball and handballing. Tackling. Goal kicking as well. Very similar to last week except the fact they can now tackle one another in terms of the contact.

The concerns from Monday: Roughy and Mihochek, cease. They both trained in their individual groups. Mihochek will also train fully on Friday via Bucks.

Adam treloar came out and did some running with a trainer. Then went back inside. Won't play round 2. But taking steps as he recovers from his calf.

Did not see: Greenwood, Langdon, Broomhead (but then they weren't wearing their numbers so I could have missed him).

I forgot to mention on Monday the coaches that seemed to have stayed on is, Harvey, Sanderson, Selwood, Boyd, Skipworth. That I have noticed from sessions.

Half way through his session, Cox fell awkwardly during a marking contest drill with his group and must have hurt his foot or ankle. Was on the ground for a few moments. Got up, but was def proppy. Was limping, then walked around the boundary and off the ground. Went inside then. Seemed to walk better as he went, so I have hope it's not as bad as it looked.

SO went down to training this morning. Was chilly wind, even though the sun was peaking through. Got a little warmer later on, but mostly... I'm glad I bought a jacket with me.

Session lasted from around 10am (or there abouts) til about 2pm. When considering this session was split between two groups at a time, containing to 6 players -- so 12 in total. Each group was on the ground for around half hour or so, and times that by 3 groups. You can understand why the Wed session would go on longer than usual.

Group 1. Grundy, Daicos, Rantall, Crisp, Ruscoe, Stevo, Sidebottom
Group 2. Tyler Brown, Atu, Varcoe, Noble, Mayne, De Goey and Cal Brown

Group 3.Murphy, Bianco, Thomas, Madgen, Roughy, Cox
Group 4.Wilson, Quaynor, Adams, Maynard, Wills, Elliott, Phillips

Group 5. Mihochek, Lynch, Sier, Shaz, Appleby, Moore
Group 6. Cameron, Howe, WHE, Kelly, Dunn, Reid

Not a lot going on. Mainly ball drills. Goundball and handballing. Tackling. Goal kicking as well. Very similar to last week except the fact they can now tackle one another in terms of the contact.

The concerns from Monday: Roughy and Mihochek, cease. They both trained in their individual groups. Mihochek will also train fully on Friday via Bucks.

Adam treloar came out and did some running with a trainer. Then went back inside. Won't play round 2. But taking steps as he recovers from his calf.

Did not see: Greenwood, Langdon, Broomhead (but then they weren't wearing their numbers so I could have missed him).

I forgot to mention on Monday the coaches that seemed to have stayed on is, Harvey, Sanderson, Selwood, Boyd, Skipworth. That I have noticed from sessions.

Half way through his session, Cox fell awkwardly during a marking contest drill with his group and must have hurt his foot or ankle. Was on the ground for a few moments. Got up, but was def proppy. Was limping, then walked around the boundary and off the ground. Went inside then. Seemed to walk better as he went, so I have hope it's not as bad as it looked.

Club should Hire you Jen2310 as you do Miles Better Reports about Training then the Club that only does Photo's IF you Lucky

Back in 2015 he was a staple (or becoming one) in the AFL team before he hurt his shoulder. Admittedly, a wretched run since then, but I reckon he would have been a regular the year he broke his leg -- before that intervened.
What worries me is that you are talking about 2015, that's 5 years ago, You might be stretching the staple part as he was actually in and out of the side

Thanks to Jen for her summary.
Went along and sat in the sun as well today. Was a perfect winter-style morning for it.

* I counted Cox kicking 4 goals and not sure he missed one. Was the standout forward in a game which probably only yielded 10 goals between the 2 sides
* Darcy Moore (father in attendance) and Howe the standout defenders for me. Murphy and Bianco both did some nice things. Murphy took some good intercept marks and Bianco was neat by foot and did some nice, hard running work in 2Q, following up a rushed kick from congestion and being effectual again as the ball travelled further down field
* Grundy the dominant ruckman and tapwork was again improved. Usually pitted against Darcy Cameron
*Pendlebury best of the mids, including a nice goal on his right. Wills intensity was typically impressive. At one stage Sier was closer to the contest and Wills went in harder and lower to gain possession against him. De Goey also caught him high as he put his head over the pill
* Not much wrong with Checkers. Was outrunning a hampered Appleby each time they passed by the boundary line on the AAMI side of the ground. As noted he kicked the ball without seeming too hampered. Just a precautionary light day. No concern
* Trey Ruscoe looking very much like Ben Crocker with the short haircut, slim build and No 39 on his back
* Nice to see No 8 running around in match sim. Unfortunately it was Scott 'Scooter' Selwood wearing the jumper
* Will Kelly playing up forward (but his field kicking was pretty rough), DeGoey and Elliott continuing to rotate through the centre square (and having an impact), Sidebottom off half back some of the more interesting positional plays that I noticed
* Bucks running the match sim coaching. Matthew Boyd in attendance as well as Scott Selwood. Didn't notice Harvey or Sanderson

We've got some nice depth on our list. There will be some capable players miss out in Round 2 again.
Excited to see how we go against the Tigers. Reckon we are very capable of getting over the top of them.
Great report as usual Albert. Sounds like Apples has had another setback. He and clearly Treloar, Dunn, Langers and Greenwood will be no shows for round `1.

Have never seen Moore sen. at training. Not sure why he would be there.

I think the stat was no team last year used less than 38 players over the course of the season. Richmond used 39. And yet the AFL wants lists to be 35.
They better play less games with that stat, or some teams will have no shows if reduced to 35. Over a normal season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great report as usual Albert. Sounds like Apples has had another setback. He and clearly Treloar, Dunn, Langers and Greenwood will be no shows for round `1.

Probably craving the footy as much as the rest of us. And the great man can't be on an overseas business trip at the moment, so probably has cabin fever!

yeah, what you say is true. But I’m still on the “he could be good” train, despite it all. But you know, the odds are against him.
If he ever gets a game it will be this year I would imagine, I hope he does play and stars because the club obviously see something in him to keep him on the list so long

Add Reid to the list of unavailability, as he looks have another hammy issue. Been a great stalwart, but really hope this is the last season for Reidy, as this must now be getting extremely frustrating for him...

Add Reid to the list of unavailability, as he looks have another hammy issue. Been a great stalwart, but really hope this is the last season for Reidy, as this must now be getting extremely frustrating for him...
Stalwart is defined as loyal, reliable and hardworking. He may have been the first and latter of these, but 'reliable' he cannot be accused of being reliable. Why am I not surprised at his unavailability despite not a shot being fired in AFL for several months! He has become little more than a name on a list.

Frustrating for him? How about his coach and a few hundred thousand supporters! We have just had an 8 week break and yet we still have important players unavailable or under a cloud. Richmond are flying again at full strength. I know some are carry overs like Greenwood and Langdon but that doesn't make their absence any less painful. Langdon was hitting his prime and one of the best intercept defenders in the game. He has missed months of footy and could well be finished. Greenwood proved himself to be best 22 last year. I was surprised by his form as a defender but he was fantastic. Of course he does his knee in the finals. Beams of course is finished after we signed him up for four years and he had just finished 6th in the Brownlow the previous year. Mihocek has a cloud over him, Treloar has a "tight" calf , Varcoe is recovering from another shoulder injury and Cox limps off the training track. Stevo gets glandular fever which sets him back. It fair dinkum never ends at this club.

Last edited:
If he ever gets a game it will be this year I would imagine, I hope he does play and stars because the club obviously see something in him to keep him on the list so long

he was pick 20 in the draft, just behind Grundy. and every now and then he shows glimpses of brilliance. Every now and then. But really, I think the leg will be the thing, and if he’s still got pain, it spells trouble.

but at least he as not Reid! jesus, that guy. So much talent, muscles forged from cooked spaghetti.

Frustrating for him? How about his coach and a few hundred thousand supporters! We have just had an 8 week break and yet we still have important players unavailable or under a cloud. Richmond are flying again at full strength. I know some are carry overs like Greenwood and Langdon but that doesn't make their absence any less painful. Langdon was hitting his prime and one of the best intercept defenders in the game. He has missed months of footy and could well be finished. Greenwood proved himself to be best 22 last year. I was surprised by his form as a defender but he was fantastic. Of course he does his knee in the finals. Beams of course is finished after we signed him up for four years and he had just finished 6th in the Brownlow the previous year. Mihocek has a cloud over him, Treloar has a "tight" calf , Varcoe is recovering from another shoulder injury and Cox limps off the training track. Stevo gets glandular fever which sets him back. It fair dinkum never ends at this club.

Calm down buddy, we did beat the Dogs by 9 goals on their deck, without Treloar, Greenwood, Langdon, Stephenson etc...Mihocek is fine, Stephenson will be back in round 2, Cox limped off but has no concerns.
Also look at the positives, Pendles, Sidey, DeGoey, Grundy, Adams, Moore all look super fit after the lockdown, the young guns waiting in the wings, like Quaynor, Bianco who looks impressive on the track, and we have seen T Brown in round 1, look super impressive. Also, I wouldn't have played Treloar until round 3 or 4 anyway.
And it is frustrating for Reidy, as the guy always works hard to get back, but breaks down. I couldn't imagine his frustrations in getting continuity into his game.
Why do some supporters always have to see the doom and gloom in the club!!
Beams is just an unfortunate circumstance that cannot be avoided. Someone's mental health is priority over footy, and we gave up draft picks and all that, but once the Beams situation is finalised between the club and him in terms of a settlement, the silver lining maybe we get to keep Moore, DeGoey and Mihocek. Go Pies!!!

Last edited:

He was well on the way to establishing himself as a regular until injury intervened. Whether he'll ever regain that and have a meaningful career is a different conversation but that uncertainty doesn't in any way diminish what he had achieved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back