Racing April Daily Punt: The Championswamps 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really time to introduce 2 racing free days a week in both Vic and NSW. Too many jockeys riding at multiple meetings a week, it can't be healthy physically or mentally for them. Too many tracks are not up to standard through excessive racing, and simply too many races with horses in them that are almost roadblocks.

I'm not suggesting any of the above factors caused today but all are effects on the industry which has too many participants stretched too thin, including trainers. Two racing free days a week allows more rest on all participants.

I had already stopped betting gallops because I'd seen too many bad falls in the last twelve months. Only watching Hong Kong and Metro racing - so literally the highest standard of racing we can realistically expect - and have seen Ethan Brown, Tom Marquand, Kah/Williams, Teo Nugent, Hugh Bowman in Hong Kong, Keith Yeung (multiple times), Karis Teetan and Alexis Badel have nasty incidents that ranged from remarkable escapes to broken collarbones, concussions, fractured ribs and a horrendous toll on the race horses themselves.

The reasons vary wildly for each incident of course, but the toll is undeniable and heavy. Punctuated by the latest stunningly awful news about Dean Holland.
All my thoughts go to his friends and family.

We rightly expect in Australia for people to be able to go to work and return home safely to their families at the end of the day. Workplace deaths are not dismissed lightly here and nor should they be. I'm not sure what can be done, if anything, to make horse racing safer but I support all efforts in attempting to find a way to do so.

My own love for the game had already entirely dissipated and I can't imagine rekindling it soon. As someone who typically has a bet to enjoy himself and pass a bit of time I just couldn't square the circle between the human and animal cost of racing in comparison to the pleasure it delivers. I'm no moral beacon, I've bet on thousands of horse races but have just lost my taste for it. I doubt I'm the only one, and I also doubt incidents like this do anything but accelerate a trend.

Once again RIP Dean Holland, and my thoughts go to his friends and family.

There is plenty that can be done, improve the tracks and penalise the jockeys harsher for breaking the rules and uphold protests that are 50/50 so they dont race as tight as they do now. Get rid of night races, set up proper training tracks that are not race tracks so jockeys dont have to stay alert18 hours a day by going to trackwork at 4 am in the morning.
Basically instead of throwing millions at the Bondi, Golden Catfest (eagle) etc etc, spend the money on better infrastructure.

You are never going to stop horses breaking down/being erratic but you can minimize damage which racing officials are reluctant to do because in a week everything will be forgotten and they will go back to doing nothing except tweet thoughts and prayers to the next jockeys family when this inevitably happens again.

Get harsher on interference and racing too tight is the most logical step. That’s been the cause of nearly all the falls in recent times before this one, not poor tracks. Also think it’s a cop out to blame it on too much racing

Get harsher on interference and racing too tight is the most logical step. That’s been the cause of nearly all the falls in recent times before this one, not poor tracks. Also think it’s a cop out to blame it on too much racing
What about leaders dropping anchor, going from 12 seconds to the furlong then the next at 13.5
This then creates so many onflow effects leading to interference, clipping of heels, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big fish sheesh. Set an ok tempo for something to have a crack at him but thought he would have been able to hold that lot off.

Narrogin r.dub r3 2,4,5,7/4,5
first place yes GIF by Dietz & Watson

Surprised everyone want's to be against ARTS in the Australasian Oaks - bolted in the Adrian Knox over 2000 and if you go back and watch the AJC Oaks its deadest travelling like Winx into the home turn before not seeing the trip out. It's up against dead set walkers here - looks a $3.00-$3.50 shot to me.

Surprised everyone want's to be against ARTS in the Australasian Oaks - bolted in the Adrian Knox over 2000 and if you go back and watch the AJC Oaks its deadest travelling like Winx into the home turn before not seeing the trip out. It's up against dead set walkers here - looks a $3.00-$3.50 shot to me.

Rain this evening and tomorrow morning as well.

Can’t believe you can get double figures about Maotai in the Archer. Gimme gimme gimme Maotai after midnight
Emerald Kingdom looks the obvious one for me, great second up record won the race last year.. and the form out the first up race got franked yesterday, $8 looks good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back