Are NZ the greatest modern cricket nation POUND FOR POUND?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Bear with me here.

Let’s say from the time SA were readmitted to cricket, are the Kiwis, all things considered, the best cricket nation?

Without even having to explain anything about the criteria I think we can rule out India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. One is over a billion people the other 2 are about half a billion combined.

Even allowing for infrastructure and resources there’s no way any of them could be in the discussion.

England as far as I’m concerned are light years off. They have a big population, great infrastructure, a country who breathes the game when soccer isn’t taking centre stage, entrenched first class system, franchise t20 comp, solid one day comp. A t20 World Cup, a fluke ODI World Cup and a couple of forays to #1 in tests and some ashes wins - really not much to write home about.

West Indies probably has the least infrastructure and resources of all and if we are talking all time, their 75-95 era is never going to be equalled ‘pound for pound.’ But for the majority of the period in question especially the last 20 years they simply haven’t been good enough. 2 world t20 titles, a champions trophy and really just wins against England in the odd test series for the last 15 years. In their favour is the fact that they aren’t one nation and have to deal with a few more external factors than most sides. I think we are in the conversation but inconsistency hurts our claim.

Australia as much as I don’t like them for a population base that we have, have been the most dominant team and overall only SA have been as regularly ‘decent’ and they haven’t got the trophies to match. I think Australia’s infrastructure and domestic set up gives them a distinct advantage over a few nations but for 12-13 years they were next to untouchable, 4 odi world cups, a t20 World Cup and probably the best test side for half that period.

SA has a bigger population base and I think the lack of trophies beyond a CT rules them out. The fact that it’s a slightly peripheral sport behind rugby and soccer gives them a good claim and to be fair, MOST of their population probably hasn’t had real access to cricket for half that time. Get points for almost always being top 2-3 in test cricket across that journey and generally among the best ODI sides and have an odd domestic structure. They have dealt with losing a lot of players overseas who would otherwise have played for them. Aside from a genuinely great spinner I think their Best Xi in test and ODI cricket from that era would be a very close match for Australia but no trophies in global tournaments rules them out IMO for a country of their size.

Sri Lanka have a World Cup in both short formats which is a big tick and I THINK were briefly #1 in tests. Have a normal population base but they’re cricket mad and are still a lot bigger than Aus, NZ and WI. Definitely punch above their weight and have had some test highs like winning in England and SA but personnel counts against them; their lack of fast bowlers is a cross against them and they never seem far from a colossal overseas disaster.

Which brings me to NZ
Like SA they don’t have a global limited overs trophy so that hurts their claim. Tiny population like WI - but they’re one nation so that helps them. Have won a world test championship which was a huge achievement. Had some incredibly uncompetitive sides in the 90s in test cricket but basically from the moment Stephen Fleming arrived they have never been TOO far from being competitive. Their lack of success against Australia especially in Australia hurts likewise SA but they are almost perpetual semi finalists and more recently finalists in global tournaments and were arguably robbed of a World Cup win in England. The sport is marginal, and for most kiwis just a way to get from one rugby Union season to the next.

I think all things considered pound for pound, they are #1 or very close to it

In the time period you speak of, there's only four countries who could be in the conversation for best. NZ are one, along with South Africa, India and Australia. A lack of titles may be their undoing but amongst that group, pound for pound their performance is remarkable. Particularly as Cricket sits behind Union, Netball, League and Rowing in the national pecking order.

In the time period you speak of, there's only four countries who could be in the conversation for best. NZ are one, along with South Africa, India and Australia. A lack of titles may be their undoing but amongst that group, pound for pound their performance is remarkable. Particularly as Cricket sits behind Union, Netball, League and Rowing in the national pecking order.

It’s probably unfair because there’s almost nothing short of being unbeaten that they could do to have a success level matching their ‘size’ but I just can’t find a way to put india in the argument. Not a knock on them they’re just so well resourced especially now that their infrastructure and domestic landscape matches their sheer size.

Preaching to the converted here.

Very proud of what we have achieved over the last 20 odd years, winning the first World Test Championship and being at the pointy end of World Cups.

I've been a Black Caps fan since I was a kid in the 80s back before they were even called the Black Caps so I've been through a lot of ups and downs.

I love barracking for the underdogs and the Black Caps have always been the cricket underdogs against the big cricket nations like Australia, England and India, even the West Indies in the old days, so when we beat them it means a lot more to me than the All Blacks winning as they aren't underdogs.

It’s probably unfair because there’s almost nothing short of being unbeaten that they could do to have a success level matching their ‘size’ but I just can’t find a way to put india in the argument. Not a knock on them they’re just so well resourced especially now that their infrastructure and domestic landscape matches their sheer size.
Hmm what could the BCCI possibly do to maximise India's potential as a cricket nation...

How about acknowledge the other half of the population, for a start.

Don't underestimate the effect Jeremy Coney has had on NZ cricket, he wasn't the greatest cricketer himself but he was a great captain.

He captained us to our first test series wins in England and Australia back in the 80s, having Hadlee helped but he turned us from test cricket minnows to contenders.

He's also one of the reasons I'm a Black Caps fan as my mum's friend knew him and got him to write a message on his WACA's members pass thanking me for my support signed by all the NZ team back then including all the big names like Richard Hadlee, Martin Crowe, Lance Cairns and Ian Smith.

I read one of Hadlee's books and he speaks glowingly of Coney as captain and how well he could handle all the speaking engagements like at Lord's.

Despite Hadlee being an extrovert on field he was an introvert off field which is why he never went into the media so he was grateful that Coney took the heat off him as he took to the off field media stuff like a duck to water. All the media wanted to speak to Hadlee of course as he was the big NZ star.

You could say that Coney gave that 1980s NZ cricket team confidence more through his after dinner speaking than through any of his runs or wickets.

Last edited:
they certainly punch above their weight in regards to their population etc , even in other sports such as rugby and NBL, Supercars, Horse racing etc.

they are going thru perhaps their best era they've ever had for cricket.

before the turn of the century they only produced a handful of stars, mainly in hadlee and crowe and 1 or 2 others.

if you were building an alltime XI for NZ, several would come from the last decade or so with the likes of chris cairns, bond, vettori, fleming, mccallum, watling, taylor, grandhomme etc.

current players in williamson, wagner, southee, boult would certainly be in the conversation and who knows where the likes of conway, phillips, jamieson could end up.

I read one of Hadlee's books and he speaks glowingly of Coney as captain and how well he could handle all the speaking engagements like at Lord's.

Despite Hadlee being an extrovert on field he was an introvert off field which is why he never went into the media so he was grateful that Coney took the heat off him as he took to the off field media stuff like a duck to water. All the media wanted to speak to Hadlee of course as he was the big NZ star.

You could say that Coney gave that 1980s NZ cricket team confidence more through his after dinner speaking than through any of his runs or wickets.

From Coney's Cricketer of the Year tribute in the 1984 Wisden. It's still a good summation of NZ cricket now.
Being vulnerable in ways that full-time teams are not, New Zealand rely heavily on attitude and team-work. The major cricketing nations of the world are in business every day, with the result that one of their superstars is usually in form. New Zealand's balloon floats only when the gases are mixed just right and everyone is fresh, willing and ambitious. They are a team fashioned out of a positive attitude to contest every run, whether batting or bowling. To perform well, every man must do the basic things better than their opponents. In this way they work as a unit.

We are more of an even team now than back then and we aren't as reliant on one superstar bowler in Hadlee and one superstar batsman in Crowe.

Our fortunes often depended on how well they performed and if they didn't perform well then we usually didn't perform that well as a team either.

Now even if Williamson fails we have guys like Conway or Mitchell who can step up or if Boult fails then guys like Southee and Wagner can step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is the voiceover artist? He sounds familiar from the old Toohey's ads and WSC. Iconic voice.
Honestly would not know. Someone older from that era probably knows.
It the same voice as the C'mon Aussie C'mon theme that channel 9 used in that period of World Series Cricket and the seasons soon after it ended.
I assume if we look up wiki for it, will tell us.

Edit: All I can find.
Performers
The Mojo Singers
Composers
Alan Morris and Allan Johnston

Last edited:
Honestly would not know. Someone older from that era probably knows.
It the same voice as the C'mon Aussie C'mon theme that channel 9 used in that period of World Series Cricket and the seasons soon after it ended.
I assume if we look up wiki for it, will tell us.

Edit: All I can find.
Performers
The Mojo Singers
Composers
Alan Morris and Allan Johnston

I don't know his name but the same guy did some other ads back then too.

Like this one.

Found this. He must be a ripe old age now. Did the lyrics and the singing. Sorry for taking it OT btw!

There's a great video on YouTube charting the history of NZ cricket with Ian Smith and it really highlights the struggles they had for decades. Hopefully the recent development with Boult declining a central contract won't see them go the way of the WI. They should also ideally play more tests than currently to capitalise on their current strength. What has impressed me the most is how new players have come in from domestic cricket and slotted in so seamlessly when their English counterparts are out of their depth.

It's always been an open secret that Coney and Hadlee hated each others guts in the 80's. In the 1987 series vs the Windies they didn't even speak to each other and all messages had to go through other players. Hard to fathom grown men behaving like that tbh.

They may have patched it up since of course, but would say the bold bit is a bit of a back-handed compliment.

The 80's team was full of ego's and arguments, despite their success.

It's always been an open secret that Coney and Hadlee hated each others guts in the 80's. In the 1987 series vs the Windies they didn't even speak to each other and all messages had to go through other players. Hard to fathom grown men behaving like that tbh.

They may have patched it up since of course, but would say the bold bit is a bit of a back-handed compliment.

The 80's team was full of ego's and arguments, despite their success.

I don't recall Hadlee mentioning any feud with Coney in his book or saying anything bad about him but that book was published back in 1983 so maybe they had that falling out with each other after that.

I don't recall Hadlee mentioning any feud with Coney in his book or saying anything bad about him but that book was published back in 1983 so maybe they had that falling out with each other after that.
Started with Hadlee winning a car in Australia in 86 and refusing to share the money from it with the rest of the team, which was the done thing at the time.

Said car resides in the Beige Brigade museum these days lol. I'm sure you could google the details but it was a huge controversy at the time.

Started with Hadlee winning a car in Australia in 86 and refusing to share the money from it with the rest of the team, which was the done thing at the time.

Said car resides in the Beige Brigade museum these days lol. I'm sure you could google the details but it was a huge controversy at the time.

Yeah I do recall something about that back then, I didn't realise it resulted in Coney and Hadlee not speaking to each other though.

'

When I first started following cricket, Australia had (shamefully) only played NZ in one Test (if you can call it that). Equally shamefully, the touring sides we sent to NZ were our second XI's and the NZ national side played in Australia's one-day competition. We didn't give them much respect at all.

Times have changed thankfully. And I do think NZ have done remarkably well on the international stage, in line with the sentiments of the opening post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back