Are NZ the greatest modern cricket nation POUND FOR POUND?

Remove this Banner Ad

9 for 52... He probably deserved the car all for himself...
Plus he took the catch for the 10th wicket.
Then he scored 54.
Then he took 6/71 in the second innings (and another catch).

Absolutely, it was a good team but he was the best player by a mile. Looking back it seems odd really, but as I said prior to that all prizes were shared as most of the players were amateurs.

Hadlee would have been one of the few NZ cricketers back then that was a full time professional and made a good living out of cricket, he played county cricket for most of his career as well as playing for NZ,

Yuu couldn't begrudge him that though given that he was one of the greatest players of his era, he would have made a fortune these days playing T20s.

Preaching to the converted here.

Very proud of what we have achieved over the last 20 odd years, winning the first World Test Championship and being at the pointy end of World Cups.

I've been a Black Caps fan since I was a kid in the 80s back before they were even called the Black Caps so I've been through a lot of ups and downs.

I love barracking for the underdogs and the Black Caps have always been the cricket underdogs against the big cricket nations like Australia, England and India, even the West Indies in the old days, so when we beat them it means a lot more to me than the All Blacks winning as they aren't underdogs.
NZ's Test and ODI performances since the 1980s have been very good in per capita/pound-for-pound terms. Impressive and, generally, likeable and understated in their approach.

I hope the Kiwis can break through for their first ODI World Cup soon.

Coney seems to be a ripping guy. Highly intelligent, humorous, warm and modest. His recent interviews for The Final Word podcast were brilliant.

Preaching to the converted here.

Very proud of what we have achieved over the last 20 odd years, winning the first World Test Championship and being at the pointy end of World Cups.

I've been a Black Caps fan since I was a kid in the 80s back before they were even called the Black Caps so I've been through a lot of ups and downs.

I love barracking for the underdogs and the Black Caps have always been the cricket underdogs against the big cricket nations like Australia, England and India, even the West Indies in the old days, so when we beat them it means a lot more to me than the All Blacks winning as they aren't underdogs.
You’ve built a really strong culture in NZ cricket, I’m pretty confident once the senior players leave, others will step up and you’ll continue being a solid cricket side long term. Seems like a really fun team environment to be in too.

Plus he took the catch for the 10th wicket.
Then he scored 54.
Then he took 6/71 in the second innings (and another catch).
Australia were a s**t side then........but 9 wickets in a test innings is an incredible feat. God only knows how much worse we would have been without Allan Border...

Never seen a bowler more consistently accurate than Hadlee. I think even the great DK Lillee said something along those lines.

I wish NZ had won the world cup in England, only for the fact that the Poms would have lost.

If it wasn't for that f**** Stokes deflection....

Fancy winning a major tournament because you scored more boundaries than the opposition. That's under 11's stuff...

It will be interesting when Boult & Southee retire....that's going to leave a massive hole in their attack. Wagner 36 years old as well....

Kyle Jameson looks like he could be anything.....who have they got to support him? Matt Henry and who else??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia were a s**t side then........but 9 wickets in a test innings is an incredible feat. God only knows how much worse we would have been without Allan Border...

Never seen a bowler more consistently accurate than Hadlee. I think even the great DK Lillee said something along those lines.
Back then when everyone was playing for second to the West Indies you could have made a decent case for that being New Zealand.

Back then when everyone was playing for second to the West Indies you could have made a decent case for that being New Zealand.
Not sure on that. We were very poor post Chappell; Lillee & Marsh retirements in 1983 for many years. England whipping us in Australia in 1986/87 was as embarrassing for an aussie cricket fan as there ever has been.

NZ had Edgar; Wright; Reid; Crow; Coney & Jeff Crowe. Not world beaters but not a shabby batting line-up by any means.

I think NZ was the only country to beat that great West Indies team from that era in a test series back in 1980 where they won the 3 test series 1-0.

Was that the series where Colin Croft ran through the umpire?

I think the footage of some of the decisions (all in favour of the Kiwi's by the way) is on YouTube.. honestly some of those decisions are enough to make one blush.....

Not sure on that. We were very poor post Chappell; Lillee & Marsh retirements in 1983 for many years. England whipping us in Australia in 1986/87 was as embarrassing for an aussie cricket fan as there ever has been.

NZ had Edgar; Wright; Reid; Crow; Coney & Jeff Crowe. Not world beaters but not a shabby batting line-up by any means.

Jeff Crowe wasn't much chop, his younger brother Martin was by far the better batsman.

I think the footage of some of the decisions (all in favour of the Kiwi's by the way) is on YouTube.. honestly some of those decisions are enough to make one blush.....

I wasn't old enough to remember that series but according to that article there was some controversial umpiring that the Windies weren't happy with.

Most countries had dodgy biased hometown umpiring back in those days including Australia which is why the ICC had to bring in neutral umpires.

Horrendous home town umpiring in that series. That series win is nothing to be proud of.

Happened everywhere back then of course (cough - Whitney at the G in 87 - cough) but that umpiring was terrible.

Last edited:
I wish NZ had won the world cup in England, only for the fact that the Poms would have lost.

If it wasn't for that f**** Stokes deflection....

Fancy winning a major tournament because you scored more boundaries than the opposition. That's under 11's stuff...
On this topic.....

1667439325028.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back