Ashes 2021/22

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Well why don't they take there families to the world cup or any other tournaments that they are playing in ??? Why is is just Australia that they to take the families to ???...its not Australia's fault due to the amount of cricket england is playing. That's up to them to manage there players....if they want to send a 2nd rate english team...well that's up to them but to reschedule the Ashes to suit them when Australia has been managing there best players to play in the Ashes is wrong IMO.

Australia has been planning for the ashes by resting our players...

What has Rugby league world Cup got to do with it....do they play cricket ??? irrelevant IMO
Firstly, it's *their.

Secondly, Ashes tours are by far & large the longest on the international calendar & eclipse the total amount of time taken for any ODI tournament, World Cup or otherwise, by a wide margin.

South Africa had also been managing its players for months before CA pulled the chair from beneath them earlier this year. And the RL World Cup definitely does have something to do with it considering it was mentioned in the very article that you posted.

If CA postponed the Ashes I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I did it'd be like boycotting the AFL cause they went into recess for a few weeks last season.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
The Rugby League World Cup issue is irrelevant here.

This is mostly clickbait, but if somehow the government refuses to relax the rules here then some of the English players are within their right not to tour but we are not postponing the Ashes. If CA even thinks about bending the knee here then they can forget about me and a lot of other people attending any test matchs anytime soon.

spot on

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Firstly, it's *their.

Secondly, Ashes tours are by far & large the longest on the international calendar & eclipse the total amount of time taken for any ODI tournament, World Cup or otherwise, by a wide margin.

South Africa had also been managing its players for months before CA pulled the chair from beneath them earlier this year. And the RL World Cup definitely does have something to do with it considering it was mentioned in the very article that you posted.

If CA postponed the Ashes I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I did it'd be like boycotting the AFL cause they went into recess for a few weeks last season.

Fair enough but I would and I reckon a lot of fans would if it is postponed. That's your opinion and that's fine

Sorry about their :)

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Firstly, Covid isn't running wild here like it was in SA at the time. With all due respect to a SA tour but it is no Ashes. The Ashes is one of the only things keeping the lights on for Test Cricket. Delaying would be disastrous after such a build-up.

Secondly, who will tour for tests instead? Are South Africa & the West Indies willing to tour here instead of next year? Because we have to play them at home for the WTC.

Also the RLWC was only brought up because that numpty Vaughan brought it up. It's irrelevant here.

That doesn't make any sense

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
The Ashes is one of the only things keeping the lights on for Test Cricket. Delaying would be disastrous after such a build-up.
You can't see anything analogous with what you just wrote & the situation in South Africa earlier this year?

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
You can't see anything analogous with what you just wrote & the situation in South Africa earlier this year?
What happened there sucked but there are plenty of differences. The English players are extremely unlikely to get covid here for one.

Are some of you still that b*tthurt over what happened over the South African tour that you're willing to punish CA by postponing an Ashes home summer over it? Because that's the feeling I'm getting here lol.

Like it or not, an Ashes series is on another level to most other test series. That's just the way it is.

Who will tour here for the Test summer if not England then?

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Are some of you still that b*tthurt over what happened over the South African tour that you're willing to punish CA by postponing an Ashes home summer over it? Because that's the feeling I'm getting here lol.
"B*tthurt" is pretty wide of the mark here. Just pointing out that if a cancelled/postponed Ashes series would be disastrous, as you said, then the unilateral cancellation of the Aus/RSA series was even more disastrous for a less-wealthy cricketing nation such as South Africa. Especially since CA had no issue clearing its players to take part in cricket comps such as the IPL & the County Championship in Covid-affected countries since all of that went down.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
What I'd like to see happen:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Pukovski
Green
Paine +*
Starc
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon

Renshaw
Wade
Bird
Pattinson
Swepson

I'd like to see Renshaw go back to opening in the Shield, imo he's a test batsman who should be given another crack in the team somewhere.

When we can't find a test opener to partner Warner, and Khawaja averages 60 as a test opener, plus averaging 60 in the Shield last year, why the hell wouldn't you bring him back? Heaps better than Harris will ever be. And let Puk settle in at 5 before he works out where's best for him, could be opening, could be three, could be middle order.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What I'd like to see happen:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Pukovski
Green
Paine +*
Starc
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon

Renshaw
Wade
Bird
Pattinson
Swepson

I'd like to see Renshaw go back to opening in the Shield, imo he's a test batsman who should be given another crack in the team somewhere.

When we can't find a test opener to partner Warner, and Khawaja averages 60 as a test opener, plus averaging 60 in the Shield last year, why the hell wouldn't you bring him back? Heaps better than Harris will ever be. And let Puk settle in at 5 before he works out where's best for him, could be opening, could be three, could be middle order.
Because he wants to bat in the middle order also he did have a good season last year but he only had one decent hit pre Christmas and was never getting selected of exposed form

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
He is cannon fodder here averaged 33 in the day time tests

Which is, and yes I recognise they’re different types of bowlers, Lyon’s career average. That’s not cannon fodder it’s just moderately respectable.

citing that as some sort of failure is like saying a batsman who averaged 35-40 in a series if you take out his century, was a ‘walking wicket’

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which is, and yes I recognise they’re different types of bowlers, Lyon’s career average. That’s not cannon fodder it’s just moderately respectable.

citing that as some sort of failure is like saying a batsman who averaged 35-40 in a series if you take out his century, was a ‘walking wicket’
Other tours he averages in the 40s and 80s

A 30 average is okay when you are talking about career numbers but it’s not great for a series

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
still need to win the series, regardless of who is on the park. (unlike our effort vs India last summer)

True. He’s just so talismanic to them though when things go wrong which they inevitably do for England - such a luxury for them to have a player who can stun the opposition when they’ve got England 3/4-80, or to come in and blast out a wicket when the other bowlers are flagging

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
True. He’s just so talismanic to them though when things go wrong which they inevitably do for England - such a luxury for them to have a player who can stun the opposition when they’ve got England 3/4-80, or to come in and blast out a wicket when the other bowlers are flagging
It’s because he is two players in one, he can bowl with genuine pace and hostility and is their most damaging with the bat

By that I mean he is the most likely to take the game away from an opponent or bring England back into the game. Due to the way he bats he isn’t the most consistent but he is the most important

Back