At what point is the ball considered to have crossed goal line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Consolaçao

All Australian
May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
Just something that’s ive noticed lately. In discussing whether a reviewed goal has crossed the goal line, I’ve heard commentators (on multiple occasions) say something along the lines of ‘the padding is part of the post’, with the implication (I think) being that a goal is only a goal once the ball fully crosses the invisible plane between the back of each goalpost’s padding.
Now, imagine a dribbled goal crossing the goal line close to the midpoint of the goal posts. My understanding is that a goal umpire should call a goal once the entire ball has cross the back of the goal line.
So which is it? The back of the post or the back of the goal line? Surely there’s a need for consistency whether the ball goes through the middle of the posts or narrowly misses the lower part of the post? The difference is probably a matter of centimetres, but it’s an important difference.

Quite clear cut actually. The ball must have completely passed over the goal line.

15.1.1 Scoring a Goal

Subject to Law 15.2, a Goal is scored when the football is Kicked completely over the Goal Line by a Player of the Attacking Team without being touched by any other Player, even if the football first touches the ground.

15.1.2 Scoring a Behind

Subject to Law 15.2, a Behind is scored when any of the following occurs:

(a) the football touches or passes over the goal post or touches the padding or any other attachment to the goal post;

I was going to say that they need to paint a line on the padding running vertical from where it meets the goal line at the same width, and any time the ball just hits the padding past that then it considered to have crossed the line and is a goal.

But having looked at images it appears the back of the goal line and the back of the padding are on the same plane
1557275148026.png

No, in your first example it would be a goal. As you said, "pass over the goal line" - that instantly means a goal. If it swipes the back of the padding after that, it's after the event.

Yes, now that they have moved the goal line inline with the back of the goal post padding it would be almost impossible to get wrong.

What if it's above the padding (between the goal posts) but doesn't cross the line and then hits the behind post

What if it's above the padding (between the goal posts) but doesn't cross the line and then hits the behind post

Haha... very good question.

If it ever happened, I’ve got no doubt it would be called a goal and that few would have an issue. Technically speaking though, has to be OOB on the full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back