Aussies becoming too much like Americans

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Is it just me or are there more Aussies speaking in the American vernacular and have copied the American Mannerisms?

For instance in TAFE the other day my colleagues in my classroom were talking and started calling each other by virtue of associating each other as friends as "Buddy" and/or "Pal".
I'm thinking "Huh?":confused:
I thought we were- and still are, hopefully- in Australia and our way of associating with each other as friends as "Mate" or "Cobber" or "Bloke".

Good God: What Next! Are we going to memorize the "Star Spangled Banner" and forget about "Advance Australia Fair" and "Waltzing Matilda"? Crikey!!
We Are Aussie Mates. NOT Yank Buddys.

Having a TV mostly producing American shows and all of blockbuster movies being from the States can do that to you. Also I don't think becuase you don't talk like a bogan you are a American. There is nothing wrong with talking the "English" language.

When you start talking "hip hop" speak or adding Americanism like Championship or Corn Dogs :) then you might be morphing into a Yank.

Yeah, shits me to tears. Espescially morons who think that Z is pronounced "Zee". It's "Zed" you **********s!

Also I don't think becuase you don't talk like a bogan you are a American. There is nothing wrong with talking the "English" language.

When you start talking "hip hop" speak or adding Americanism like Championship or Corn Dogs :) then you might be morphing into a Yank.

I hope this is supposed to be ironic. The word is 'speaking'. And more often than not it's the Americans who get this one wrong.

Is it just me or are there more Aussies speaking in the American vernacular and have copied the American Mannerisms?

For instance in TAFE the other day my colleagues in my classroom were talking and started calling each other by virtue of associating each other as friends as "Buddy" and/or "Pal".
I thought we were- and still are, hopefully- in Australia and our way of associating with each other as friends as "Mate" or "Cobber" or "Bloke".

Good God: What Next! Are we going to memorize the "Star Spangled Banner" and forget about "Advance Australia Fair" and "Waltzing Matilda"? Crikey!!

if being Australian, requires people to speak like Steve Irwin.... then i'm out buddy

but seriously, there are the odd signs of american nuances.... but 'buddy' 'pal' are pretty weak arguments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonza post matee.

What about the word chow that everyone seems to use now to say goodbye?

A eurosnob word.

Mate,I'm not a can of dog food.

Who the **** says cobber to describe a friend? Fair enough to call someone mate, but how often would anyone be saying "Going out with my blokes"? Sounds ****ing *ed.

It was more profound when the hip hop culture was taking hold and all the kids were running round in FUBU and listening to Tupac. Interestingly enough, I'm reading a book at the moment called, 'Under the influence - A history of Alcohol in Australia', by Ross Fitzgerald and Trevor Jordan, and it talks in the second chapter about beer advertising...

"...as Australian as 'football, meat pies, kangaroos and HOlden cars', is not in fact an unambiguous icon of Australianness... Advertising agency George Patterson, for example, who developed the football, meat pies, kangaoos and Holden cars commercial for Carlton brewereis borrowed it from General Motors in the US, whose advertisements featured baseball, hot dogs, apple pies and Cheverolet..."

"Even the brand most recognised overseas as Australin, Fosters, was created by two American brothers, W.M and R. Foster."

Just how American are we? Does the bogan culture borrow a lot from the United States?

Americans are known for (generally) being very patriotic.

Thus, this thread seems overly American to me.

:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back