Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Probably the best XI we could pick imo. I’d be disappointed if this was the end of Khawaja and Head for now - they did poorly in England but have otherwise been pretty decent the last 12 months.

Starc, Hazlewood and Starc are the best three quicks in the land followed by Richardson and Pattinson. Neser isn’t as far behind as most think either.

Got a feeling Paine only lasts until Smith is eligible to captain again. This time around they’ll make sure the vice captain is someone we can trust equally as much. Even Lehmann good as said Warner was an idiot in an interview before the incident.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Wade
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Two Shield games left so hopefully Burns or Khawaja can get runs to displace Harris.
Starc can also be replaced with Richardson or Pattinson if they get wickets.

Maxwell lol

Just give up on the fantasy on him being a test cricketer especially one with a brain.

Ah yes the frustration with Maxi......the last shield game sums up maxwell to a t...

batting to save the game gets to 50...playing well....then decides to smash it out of the ground with two men back for the hook......skys it gets out...Vics lose

so frustrating !!!!...the talent that he has......he is the biggest disappointment in australian cricket...you just cannot trust him to play test cricket....and its a sad for him and for australian cricket in general

such a waste

Except he'd be getting a game in merit, we wouldn't be rushing him in.
Not really. I'm very much of the belief you need more than one good season as a batsman before being a viable option at a higher level. The ability is certainly there but I definitely think Pucovski would be better served playing out the year with Victoria

Head and KPat if fit are better options in the short term

Not really. I'm very much of the belief you need more than one good season as a batsman before being a viable option at a higher level. The ability is certainly there but I definitely think Pucovski would be better served playing out the year with Victoria

Head has the technique of a 2 year old and Patterson is flaky.

With the cupboard as bare as it is, and Pucovski as solid as he looks, we'd be silly not to blood him this summer against a decent side at best.

You’d think they singled out this summer as a debut for Pucovski a while back. They’ve given him squad and tour experience. He’ll have the best middle order we’ve had in a while shielding him, we are playing two middle of the road teams at home and most important he’s got a solid case for deserving it on merit anyway

Burns
Renshaw
Labuschagne
Smith
Wade
Patterson (if fit)/Pucovski
Carey
Cummins (C)
Hazlewood
Pattinson
Lyon

Next big series are India next summer, followed by a tour SA I think 2021 and the ashes. Are Warner and Paine really going to be round for it? Ideal time to regenerate.

Just a rubbish post get him in now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxwell is a interesting and not as silly as it seems.One of the best fieldsman in the world,handy part time spin bowler and potentially one of the best batsman in the world but lets himself down by rash shots.Perhaps give him a try on Australian wickets and a opposition that we question will be competitive against the Australians.

the big show was harshly dealt with after the indian series when he was the only one who really got any runs and yet he was suddenly on the outer.

the problem with the team i listed is they probably would perform at home - our batsmen are actually getting to indian level of "lion at home kitten away" where its pretty standard for the guys to be averaging 20+ different home/away.

Warner averages 33 away from home yet we'll be picking him for the next tour on the basis of his home form - where he averages 60.

How do we even know who the shield blokes are who might perform away?

We would just be guessing based on home runs anyway and even then the ones who perform in overseas domestic comps aren't a sure thing away from home, Bancroft and marnus both had great english domestic summers and one was great and one was awful in the ashes.

All we can do is pick blokes we think will score runs this summer if one turns out to be competent overseas its just a nice bonus.

the big show was harshly dealt with after the indian series when he was the only one who really got any runs and yet he was suddenly on the outer.

the problem with the team i listed is they probably would perform at home - our batsmen are actually getting to indian level of "lion at home kitten away" where its pretty standard for the guys to be averaging 20+ different home/away.

Warner averages 33 away from home yet we'll be picking him for the next tour on the basis of his home form - where he averages 60.

Still think Maxwell should be considered,the selectors focused on him playing T20 cricket and 1 day cricket and he was given limited chances to play the longer version of the game like shield cricket because of this.His non selection in the test team is a little unfair because he was judged on his rash shots at times in the shorter version of the game but who knows how will bat in a 5 day game.Give him the chance to play on Australian wickets in test cricket,he deserves the opportunity after as you said his perforance in the indian series.

Burns
Renshaw
Labuschagne
Smith
Wade
Patterson (if fit)/Pucovski
Carey
Cummins (C)
Hazlewood
Pattinson
Lyon

Next big series are India next summer, followed by a tour SA I think 2021 and the ashes. Are Warner and Paine really going to be round for it? Ideal time to regenerate.
We are not dropping the captain.

I completely disagree with that philosophy. India, England and South Africa might sell more tickets, but they aren't more important. From a selection perspective. every Test series is like a grand final IMO. Every Test just pick the best fit and available, with a bit of preference for incumbency. Form and age will take care of itself at various times, just make players show they are the best for the role before they get a spot.

Not that I know who that eleven is right now. There is a very good chance Pucoski gets in on merit, not to "build a team" or "give him a go".

dunno how we seem to play so little test cricket. Another 10 tests and we are playing the ashes again?

I was a massive backer of Renshaw but the bloke can't buy a run at the moment, and hasn't been able to for the last 18 months+.

He is probably only playing shield at the moment at the behest of CA.

The A team is

Harris, Burns, Khawaja, Pucovski, Head, Maddinson, Carey, Neser, Richardson, Abbott, Meredith

So that would leave the test side looking like

Warner, ...., Labuschagne, Smith, ...., Wade, Paine, Cummins, Pattinson, Lyon, Hazlewood, Starc (12) Wishful thinking Starc carrying the drinks but one can dream!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back