Australian Tour of South Africa 2020 (3 T20Is, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Starc got MotM with 3/23 off 2.3 overs, ahead of Warner (57 off 37) and Agar ( 3/16 off 4 overs).
:think:
I would like to know why from anyone who watched the game please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starc got MotM with 3/23 off 2.3 overs, ahead of Warner (57 off 37) and Agar ( 3/16 off 4 overs).
:think:
I would like to know why from anyone who watched the game please.

You have to stop looking at just the stats - im sure Agar getting batsmen no 9 & 10 wickets was soooooooo important.

Starc got the 2 best SA batsmen out - more important than a 50 from an opening bat (especially with Finch basically doing the same)

Still be a proper batsman short though.

We have an unhealthy reliance on Warner and Finch and it is not great relying on flat track bullies when we get to the big games.

Agreed. Never thought I'd say this but maybe we should at least try a Jono Wells type in that middle order. It just lengthens that middle order. Other option is Travis Head who gives a spin option as well. Really think we are 1-2 bats short.

Still be a proper batsman short though.

We have an unhealthy reliance on Warner and Finch and it is not great relying on flat track bullies when we get to the big games.

Agreed. Never thought I'd say this but maybe we should at least try a Jono Wells type in that middle order. It just lengthens that middle order. Other option is Travis Head who gives a spin option as well. Really think we are 1-2 bats short.

We're certainly not 2 batsman short when the top 4 is Warner, Finch, Smith, Maxwell, we're playing Carey at 5 or 6, Agar at 7 plus the 4 bowlers. In T20 cricket on average the no.7 will face 4 balls so we should be picking a genuine 5th bowler there like Agar over a batsman. Then its only the 5 or 6 (depending on where Carey is) that is missing and is there really a better mid order batting option than Mitch Marsh?

The options are basically Ash Turner (who is a basketcase atm), Ben McDermott, Moises Henriques, Chris Lynn, Jono Wells or try and create a makeshift middle order player out of a BBL opener (Short, Stoinis, Wade). I still think the best our T20 side has ever looked was in that tri-series against NZ and England where we opened with Short and Warner and had Maxwell and Finch at 4 and 5 however I doubt we'd ever move Finch now.

Head is a good shout actually. Forget the bowling though. It's interesting they haven't picked him for limited overs for two years now so you forget about him. I think he was hurt by Smith bowling him ahead of Maxwell which was just dumb, batting record is ok really for a middle order player.

We're certainly not 2 batsman short when the top 4 is Warner, Finch, Smith, Maxwell, we're playing Carey at 5 or 6, Agar at 7 plus the 4 bowlers. In T20 cricket on average the no.7 will face 4 balls so we should be picking a genuine 5th bowler there like Agar over a batsman. Then its only the 5 or 6 (depending on where Carey is) that is missing and is there really a better mid order batting option than Mitch Marsh?

The options are basically Ash Turner (who is a basketcase atm), Ben McDermott, Moises Henriques, Chris Lynn, Jono Wells or try and create a makeshift middle order player out of a BBL opener (Short, Stoinis, Wade). I still think the best our T20 side has ever looked was in that tri-series against NZ and England where we opened with Short and Warner and had Maxwell and Finch at 4 and 5 however I doubt we'd ever move Finch now.

Carey at 5/6 is at least a position if not 2 high, and Agar at 7 is a position too high easily. I'd rather We;lls out of those options. The one guy who had a great BBL in the middle order was Renshaw too, there is another alternative.

Head is a good shout actually. Forget the bowling though. It's interesting they haven't picked him for limited overs for two years now so you forget about him. I think he was hurt by Smith bowling him ahead of Maxwell which was just dumb, betting record is ok really for a middle order player.

Yeah, he's a decent player, I mean like many Australians isn't as strong against spin but he's improved that a lot in test cricket, no doubt he'll be fine on that front

Carey at 5/6 is at least a position if not 2 high, and Agar at 7 is a position too high easily. I'd rather We;lls out of those options. The one guy who had a great BBL in the middle order was Renshaw too, there is another alternative.
I'm taking Marsh and Carey as mid-order T20 bats over Wells and it's not even close in my mind between Marsh and Wells.

I'm taking Marsh and Carey as mid-order T20 bats over Wells and it's not even close in my mind between Marsh and Wells.

Marsh is in my side anyway, but I'd still like another genuine bat. Having a bunch of A/R's scream collapse in big moments. I'd be happy with Head as well.

Marsh is in my side anyway, but I'd still like another genuine bat. Having a bunch of A/R's scream collapse in big moments. I'd be happy with Head as well.
So I assume you have
1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. Maxwell
5. *Insert Batsman Here*
6. Marsh
7. Carey

Are you dropping Agar or one of the 4 main bowlers for the extra bat? Marsh/Maxwell effectively replaces the overs of the bowler?

So I assume you have
1. Finch
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. Maxwell
5. *Insert Batsman Here*
6. Marsh
7. Carey

Are you dropping Agar or one of the 4 main bowlers for the extra bat? Marsh/Maxwell effectively replaces the overs of the bowler?

I'd drop a bowler, probably Cummins or Agar depending on circumstances. I honestly feel we are a batsman short. Maxwell and Marsh are enough as bowlers, both bowl a lot in t20 cricket. I'd be happy with Head and he gives a bowling option too.

you need a middle order to win a World Cup, team management is refusing to address this problem, Marsh and Wade are not the solutions.

We’re looking good to claim the T20 World Cup which I believe is the only major cricket tournament we haven’t won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back