Australian tour of Sri Lanka (July-September 2016)

Who will win the test series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard a rumour that the Australia squad (I'm assuming it refers to the squad in Sri Lanka, since the whole contracted squad wouldn't have been together for a while) was expected to run 2km in eight minutes. That's a relatively fast clip but nothing too strenuous. Only three players made it in the time, all from the same state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a rumour that the Australia squad (I'm assuming it refers to the squad in Sri Lanka, since the whole contracted squad wouldn't have been together for a while) was expected to run 2km in eight minutes. That's a relatively fast clip but nothing too strenuous. Only three players made it in the time, all from the same state.
Which state?

Which state?
WA...Shaun, Mitch and Voges.

There seems to have been an increased focus on fitness in WA cricket, with players expected to run time trials, box etc. Not necessarily endorsing that approach as surely batting, bowling and fielding are most important. Still, seems pretty average that guys like Smith or Burns or the rest can't run 2km in eight mins.

There seems to have been an increased focus on fitness in WA cricket, with players expected to run time trials, box etc. Not necessarily endorsing that approach as surely batting, bowling and fielding are most important. Still, seems pretty average that guys like Smith or Burns or the rest can't run 2km in eight mins.
Cricket and fitness certainly don't seem to go together in the same way as other sports.

Steve Waugh used to almost brag that he was 'fit for cricket' but didn't think he could run a lap of the oval.

You'd think cricketers as a general rule would be well behind AFL, soccer, basketball in general fitness standards.

The modern cricketer definitely seems fitter than past generations, and fitness would help to an extent in long innings and fielding. But I agree that bowling fit and batting fit would be more important than Tough Mudder fit.

That would definitely be Langer and good on him. Fitness helps concentration.

Cricket and fitness certainly don't seem to go together in the same way as other sports.

Steve Waugh used to almost brag that he was 'fit for cricket' but didn't think he could run a lap of the oval.

You'd think cricketers as a general rule would be well behind AFL, soccer, basketball in general fitness standards.

Peter Siddle trained with one of the AFL sides for a while and said he'd never worked so hard in his life.

To a point; but our bowlers are as injury prone as the rest and the fitness program doesn't seem to be helping that. I don't remember having so many fragile bowlers in the past, when training consisted of two hours of bowling.

We have had bowlers injury prone bowlers before. Look at Bruce Reid or Damien Fleming. McGrath used to miss tours for fitness reasons.
Johnson didn't bowl for two years in his early 20s. Dennis Lillee broke down in his mid-20s and had to rebuild himself.

I think that the medical teams take a much more conservative view of players than they used to, that is different but not particularly the bowlers.

Steve Magoffin hardly ever played a full season for WA, he was always in sick bay. And that's just the ones I remember.

We have had bowlers injury prone bowlers before. Look at Bruce Reid or Damien Fleming. McGrath used to miss tours for fitness reasons.
Johnson didn't bowl for two years in his early 20s. Dennis Lillee broke down in his mid-20s and had to rebuild himself.

I think that the medical teams take a much more conservative view of players than they used to, that is different but not particularly the bowlers.

Steve Magoffin hardly ever played a full season for WA, he was always in sick bay. And that's just the ones I remember.
That's pretty much 1-2 bowlers per generation; look at the squad now, with guys like Pattinson, Cummins, NCN, Behrendorff etc all breaking down regularly. Given developments in sports science, I would expect a decrease in long term injuries, not a significant increase.

That's shocking. I used to be able to do that while I was running a 10 beep.

Back