Autopsy Autopsy vs *

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Phoenix was Comben this week it would have looked a lot different but at least they played the kid instead of taking the easy option putting Josh Walker forward from the start.

6 changes from the team last week. Not sure how many times in the last 20 years a team has won after having 6 changes, but it wouldn't be many. Anyway...

Positives:
Stoppage work was very good. Goldy, Greenwood, Simpkin and LDU absolutely pulled Essendon's pants down in the contest, but we just weren't clean enough thereafter.

Simpkin: Was very good. He's turned it around in the last month or two and I'm thrilled for him
JHF: Played his best game since the Sydney game
Bailey Scott: Would be up there with LDU in the B&F
Zurhaar: Just a star
Stevo: Ball use and run off the back flank was excellent
Kallan Dawson: I was as vocal as anyone regarding his recruitment, but I thought he showed enough in his first game. Hopefully builds his confidence for the remainder of the season and can be a mainstay next year
Turner: Thought he was very good - cant remember the last time he played as well as he did today

Negatives:
I think our loss comes down to 3 things. Firstly, our forward line's inability to get the ball to ground - the amount of intercept marks guys like Redman, Laverde, Kelly and Zerk-Thatcher were allowed to take in contested situations was ridiculous. Secondly, our forward line's inability to apply pressure when the ball hit the deck - we have guys inside 50 who offer absolutely nothing in this regard and even one of those kills you at this level. Thirdly, our delivery inside forward 50m was poor. Two guys stood out for me with having particularly poor games:

Ziebell: He's done. Way too slow to get separation on the lead and due to being slow, he offers very little when the ball hits the ground.
Spicer: Needs to go back to VFL level and develop some confidence in winning the footy, sticking tackles and applying effective defensive pressure.

Takeaways/thoughts as a result of the above:
  • I wonder if our club has the balls to drop Ziebell for Ford - it's the most obvious change you could possibly make but I'm not sure it'll happen.
  • Our strength in the contest leads me to believe we should place Sheezel at the top of our draft short-list over Wardlaw.
  • We need to prioritise getting in another pressure small forward - we really missed Curtis
  • We also really missed Tarryn's ball use and class through the midfield and going inside 50m

Last edited:
Looking forward to the new coach and new recruiter's, I can help bring you up to speed.

Delist, Walker, Anderson, Taylor, Mahony, Spicer, Dawson, Lazzaro, Greenwood and Anderson.

You could find better footballers in any lower levels.

How good was Luff? FMD

Oh well
Bit harsh on Dawson.

I can’t remember seeing us kick it to the opposition so often. Smashed them in clearances and then just used the ball so poorly. Some intercepts but mostly we kicked it straight to them.

A weird one to assess. Did so much pretty well and so much was just dross. Considering we started the day with a pretty ordinary team and then lost another couple of players I guess I’m feeling resigned. I doubt we will be cut any slack for five Covid outs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back