Rumour Bailey Smith avoids being drafted interstate by way of medical reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why Doggie posters are being so defensive. The topic is more around the use of using a medical certificate in a national draft rather than the player himself - well at least that’s what I think the topic is
Not being defensive, just like some actual facts before making a judgement. I find the getting a medical certificate story pretty hard to believe really. But then again this is BF, people believe anything.

Not being defensive, just like some actual facts before making a judgement. I find the getting a medical certificate story pretty hard to believe really. But then again this is BF, people believe anything.

I thought It was the media that first floated the story - SEN breakfast wasn’t it

As for not being defensive, I think an unrelated pot about Melbourne and their PF speaks volumes

Bit of a reach mate, we're talking about a 17 year old kid here.

If you're judging character based on what people say as teenagers then 99% of the population are racist/sexist/homophobic shitbags.

Yeah I understand most teenagers would say racist/sexist/homophobic s**t, but I think posting it on social media just takes it to another level. Not many would be comfortable taking it that far.

that’s the issue though. There should not be any risk involved at all. These guys are supposed to be professional athletes and they’re earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, plus they get to remain in their home country. If they were playing any other elite sport in the world they would likely be living in a different country by the age of 16 - 18. If you can’t handle living a 2-3 hour flight away from home while earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year playing at the highest level of your chosen sport, then don’t sign up for the AFL, play VFL or whatever state league is closest to you.

It’s not ‘good’ that they’re being honest about not wanting to move interstate. It shouldn’t be happening at all.

For the average 17-18 year old, moving out of high school into uni or working life is a massive adjustment. Your whole world changes. Add a comfortable full-time salary to that (when you've never had your own money before), and living away from home (when you've probably never done that before either), and then being of legal age (drink, drugs, partying, with a lot more disposable income and free time than most people your age), and the expectations of the club, your teammates, and supporters, and it's a lot to expect immature boys (and they're still boys, really) to navigate and handle.

It's easy to judge from the perspective of being an average 30-something adult who's been through the change to adult life, and it's easy to say that they just need to mature and "grow up", but they haven't even had the chance to do that yet. It's also easy to say "If they're not ready and can't handle it, they shouldn't be drafted", but what 17-18 year old kid really is genuinely ready for that change in life and lifestyle? And what kid really wants to expose or reveal their own inadequacies (if they even recognise and understand them), to potentially put off prospective employers in their dream job (professional footballer)? And how do you measure or project their readiness beforehand, or even in the run? Just by how well they play footy?

It's not "soft" or "unfair" for a kid to want to make the transition as comfortable as possible for themselves. All they can do is ask or say their piece, and clubs can always say no or disregard their wishes, too.

SEN breakfast hey. It must be true then, I have never heard anyone from that station get it wrong.

First it’s BF thats wrong then when I cite an additional source you still gripe. You want to support your boy, then by all means do so but for the most part where there’s smoke there’s shadows and it’s the off season and it’s an interesting topic once you take a club out of the equation

Would you post something like that on social media?

I’m not excusing him of shooting Bambi, but he is still taking the piss out of another culture. We’re quickly finding out this kid may not have the greatest character.
Based on an Instagram post and a completely baseless rumour?

First it’s BF thats wrong then when I cite an additional source you still gripe. You want to support your boy, then by all means do so but for the most part where there’s smoke there’s shadows and it’s the off season and it’s an interesting topic once you take a club out of the equation
Travis, is that you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is that offensive?

Chin is a common Chinese name, is it offensive to reference another culture now even if it’s not disparaging at all?

It's weird that people think this. I meet literally hundreds of Chinese people through my work and have never yet met one with that surname, unless you mean "Qin", which sounds more like tchin or even tshin, and isn't that common anyway, compared to the actually common surnames (e.g. Li, Liu, Zhang, Chen, Wang, Zhao, etc.).

Not saying he's a huge racist, more likely just a huge moron, but thinking lots of Chinese people are called Chin is like imagining all Australians ride kangaroos to work.

It’s not like he can just rock up to a random gp for a 10 minute consult and get a handwritten medical certificate and that all of a sudden means he isn’t suitable to work interstate.

If there is a serious mental health condition I’d expect he’d have a pre existing and ongoing relationship with a psychiatrist.

No idea on the details in this instance but if someone had a condition that meant they could not fly (as in legitimately the airlines would not let you on the plane with it) and they were nominating for the draft and indicated they would play anywhere but also let the club's know of their condition I would think that was ok and also something the club's would need to know about and take into account in their decision.

I would also not consider him weak or manipulative.

What we don't know here (assuming the report is accurate) is whether he might have the mental equivalent or just be gaming the system. If the former then I hope he was clear and upfront with what he can and cannot do and the club got to liaise with the doc and there will be something in his contract that lets the Dogs out if he has misrepresented the situation...

It’s not like he can just rock up to a random gp for a 10 minute consult and get a handwritten medical certificate and that all of a sudden means he isn’t suitable to work interstate.

If there is a serious mental health condition I’d expect he’d have a pre existing and ongoing relationship with a psychiatrist.
That's true but he would be entitled to privacy in that case. Which just allows social media to speculate wildly as is happening.

It's weird that people think this. I meet literally hundreds of Chinese people through my work and have never yet met one with that surname, unless you mean "Qin", which sounds more like tchin or even tshin, and isn't that common anyway, compared to the actually common surnames (e.g. Li, Liu, Zhang, Chen, Wang, Zhao, etc.).

It's a joke.

One of Australia's most famous Chinese Australians has the surname Chin btw.

1472006433997.jpg

It's a joke.

One of Australia's most famous Chinese Australians has the surname Chin btw.

1472006433997.jpg

Ohhhh of course, it's through non-pinyin transliterations. (She's from Indonesia, although ethnically Chinese). Probably Qin. Current spelling was finalised in Mainland China since the revolution, which is why Taiwan also spells everything differently. Still, the joke is dumb.

Not saying he's a huge racist, more likely just a huge moron, but thinking lots of Chinese people are called Chin is like imagining all Australians ride kangaroos to work.

It is Qin or Jin but pronounced chi-en to at least my ears. It’s a sounds like because the t as you say is almost silent. It’s pretty much a dad joke. Even if someone says it as Chin for Chinese there is no negative connotation associated with Chin, it’s like saying it’s a pejorative to call someone Aussie. It’s taking political correctness to an illogical place.

I think we should all react angrily to an unsubstantiated rumour and demand his immediate execution.

Ohhhh of course, it's through non-pinyin transliterations. (She's from Indonesia, although ethnically Chinese). Probably Qin. Current spelling was finalised in Mainland China since the revolution, which is why Taiwan also spells everything differently. Still, the joke is dumb.

Not as dumb as the people who claim it's racist would be the pertinent point.

That's true but he would be entitled to privacy in that case. Which just allows social media to speculate wildly as is happening.
Yes of course. Not expecting that it should be released but if he is applying for special consideration to the AFL then appropriate documentation from an appropriate source would be required.

Yes of course. Not expecting that it should be released but if he is applying for special consideration to the AFL then appropriate documentation from an appropriate source would be required.
I agree mostly

Generally entering the AFL draft isn't for everyone in my view. It's a privilege not a right.

My problem with this thread, is all if that may or may not have happened. Draftees do have the same right to seek treatment and privacy as anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back