BBL BBL Match 45 Melbourne Renegades v Melbourne Stars at Docklands Stadium 1915 AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

BBL, we’ve turned plenty of WA rejects into superstars at Shield level. But the Perth T20 players are clearly out of their depth when not surrounded by a state team.
Phillipe most runs in Sydney
Stoinis most runs in Melbourne
Marsh sits out a few games and leads the scoring for the Renegades

6 million people in Victoria and you need our players to make you competitive. No wonder you’ve won zilch

Phillipe most runs in Sydney
Stoinis most runs in Melbourne
Marsh sits out a few games and leads the scoring for the Renegades

6 million people in Victoria and you need our players to make you competitive. No wonder you’ve won zilch

Cos we’ve got two teams and our players are spread across the country

Besides Stoinis had to become a Victorian player before he was any good! Another WA reject turned into an international by the Vics

Cos we’ve got two teams and our players are spread across the country

Besides Stoinis had to become a Victorian player before he was any good! Another WA reject turned into an international by the Vics
Spread across the country? Oh yeah, that’s right, you’ve got Handscomb and Boland tearing it up for non Victorian teams - what a loss! For such a populated state you guys really punch well below your weight class

Spread across the country? Oh yeah, that’s right, you’ve got Handscomb and Boland tearing it up for non Victorian teams - what a loss! For such a populated state you guys really punch well below your weight class

Oh yeah, this after CA had to separate Victoria into two teams because no one could get close...

In a state competition we dominate, still the best team in the shield most years.

What’s happened to Perth? For years no one left and their state side was dominating, now a few left the cult and they’ve struggled. Not so easy when you’re not just playing your best state XI each week in a franchise comp?

Oh yeah, this after CA had to separate Victoria into two teams because no one could get close...

In a state competition we dominate, still the best team in the shield most years.
2 teams in Victoria and their best players are West Aussies, says it all really

You can throw in Tim David as well.
Darcy Short goes alright too. WA are in a better position to field a second team in the bbl than Victoria right now, we pretty much have a second team with the Melbourne Stars. Not sure what’s going on with cricket in Victoria these days but it’s concerning

Darcy Short goes alright too. WA are in a better position to field a second team in the bbl than Victoria right now, we pretty much have a second team with the Melbourne Stars. Not sure what’s going on with cricket in Victoria these days but it’s concerning

Short is pushing it lol

Glad to see us finally win a game , we are pretty bad this year but nothing can be as bad the Canes.
Should finish above them on the ladder with ease.
Um

It’s been concerning a lot longer than the Victorians care to admit.

They hang their hats on their shield success over the last few years which has papered over the cracks because considering they recruit decent enough players often from other states and barely have any Australian representatives missing, they should be winning the domestic comps year in year out. Not making a final with those advantages should be definitely considered a failure

It is concerning they have never been able to develop state players to take the next step.

A lot of pressure on young Pucovski considering they are hanging all their hopes of validation from the rest of the country based on him making it. Have to laugh that he is somehow already an automatic inclusion in the Aussie X1 based on a 60 where he was dropped twice in the 20’s and a second innings 10 where he is clearly troubled by the short ball. Not to mention his injury and concussion issues. Yet the narrative was all about Cameron Green not taking a wicket despite showing decent promise with the bat at 6 to cover up any criticism of Will.

Their state bias is beyond believable. It’s not all of the Victorians in here but it is a vast majority. It would be nice to follow a test series for once without the constant state lines carry on and seeking validation of other states from strangers on an Internet forum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s been concerning a lot longer than the Victorians care to admit.

They hang their hats on their shield success over the last few years which has papered over the cracks because considering they recruit decent enough players often from other states and barely have any Australian representatives missing, they should be winning the domestic comps year in year out. Not making a final with those advantages should be definitely considered a failure

It is concerning they have never been able to develop state players to take the next step.

A lot of pressure on young Pucovski considering they are hanging all their hopes of validation from the rest of the country based on him making it. Have to laugh that he is somehow already an automatic inclusion in the Aussie X1 based on a 60 where he was dropped twice in the 20’s and a second innings 10 where he is clearly troubled by the short ball. Not to mention his injury and concussion issues. Yet the narrative was all about Cameron Green not taking a wicket despite showing decent promise with the bat at 6 to cover up any criticism of Will.

Their state bias is beyond believable. It’s not all of the Victorians in here but it is a vast majority. It would be nice to follow a test series for once without the constant state lines carry on and seeking validation of other states from strangers on an Internet forum.
Winning the domestic comp papers over the cracks they're no good at domestic level. 🤔

Winning the domestic comp papers over the cracks they're no good at domestic level.

No, I didn’t say they aren’t good at domestic level, clearly they are but then again they should be with all the advantages they get over the other stage sides.

But that domestic success papers over the cracks in regards to the bigger issue of why they haven’t been able to develop long term test players since Shane Warne. Considering their population and their domestic success at shield level, they should have at least 2 or 3 ready made test players consistently in the national team.

All the Victorian’s like to whinge about how hard done by their players are and carry the big chip on their shoulders but realistically I would say only Brad Hodge and to a lesser extent Glenn Maxwell have been the only ones at a pinch who should have been given a better opportunity so it’s hardly a Victorian conspiracy. Hell I could name at least 2 players from every state who have been hard done by too.

Is it a case of Victoria sacrificing test level development for the sake of winning domestic titles? Possibly... time will tell.

The reason I originally brought this topic up is because it was plain obvious during the Indian series that you lot are putting all your eggs in one basket and pushing the Will Pucovski case as your lord and saviour as your inferiority complex makes you lot believe that you need a Victorian to make it so you can live your life through them and seek validation from interstate strangers on an Internet forum. Pucovski was killing it a shield level and deserves his shot however I cannot ignore the hypocrisy of shoehorning him as a guaranteed starter in the test side based on a 3 lives 60 and a 10 whilst you lot were bashing Cameron Green after the first 2 tests.

Joe Burns copped it big time despite every other opener during this series playing like absolute dog s**t as well. He makes a chance less 50 not out in our only test win of the series and you lot say it doesn’t count because it was a small chase. Yet when we have the best of the batting conditions batting first in Game 3 & 4 and without the pressure of a chase and no opener does much better, all I hear is deafening silence. I wonder if that’s because Will is Victorian and Harris plays for Victoria?
Apparently Pucovski’s 60 odd in a test we didn’t win guaranteed him a test spot for the foreseeable future despite being given 3 lives during that innings and looking like garbage against the short ball. There was also the small matter of a measly 10 runs in the second innings but hey we will just ignore that too and act like it was 10 runs more than Burns would have got

Now that Harris has proved he isn’t test standard, will you claim he is Western Australian now? ******* spare me.

And the truth finally comes out, it isn't just Victorians pushing the Puckovski case, everyone is pushing it because he's young and making runs, its the Australian dream.

It's funny you want to criticise him for not making a triple century and getting dropped in his innings but then defend Green for looking way out of his depth for his first couple of tests.

Your calling everyone hypocrites by being the biggest hypocrite of them all and just because Joe Burns who made double figures once in about 15 first class innings got dropped for a Victorian...

We should be more like QLD...

Developing test ready players for the betterment of the national side for future series at the expense of having to bring in other interstate players year on year and going all in to win domestic comps? Yeah you should be more like us.

In a few years time we might have a potential future test captain in Marnus, a future spinner for Australia in Swepson, a future Number 8 in Neser, a potential future grafting opener in Bryce Street, as well as hoping developing Renshaw some more to get another crack. And we in recent times have had Burns and Khawaja as mainstays in the national setup.

As opposed to Victoria who have pinned all their hopes on a kid with little first class cricket who has looked out of sorts against the short ball and has a history of concussions, and their only test standard bowler who can’t even mow the ******* lawn without getting injured. Let me guess though, Pucovski’s 10 was the best 10 of all time? Might become as good as Rob Quiney..... Might dig up some Bryce McGain test highlights for a laugh to see how much Victorians overrating their state players translates to the test arena.

Did you also notice Matt Wade made 2 ashes centuries in England when he was developing his game back in Tasmania? Funny that

No, I didn’t say they aren’t good at domestic level, clearly they are but then again they should be with all the advantages they get over the other stage sides.

But that domestic success papers over the cracks in regards to the bigger issue of why they haven’t been able to develop long term test players since Shane Warne. Considering their population and their domestic success at shield level, they should have at least 2 or 3 ready made test players consistently in the national team.

All the Victorian’s like to whinge about how hard done by their players are and carry the big chip on their shoulders but realistically I would say only Brad Hodge and to a lesser extent Glenn Maxwell have been the only ones at a pinch who should have been given a better opportunity so it’s hardly a Victorian conspiracy. Hell I could name at least 2 players from every state who have been hard done by too.

Is it a case of Victoria sacrificing test level development for the sake of winning domestic titles? Possibly... time will tell.

The reason I originally brought this topic up is because it was plain obvious during the Indian series that you lot are putting all your eggs in one basket and pushing the Will Pucovski case as your lord and saviour as your inferiority complex makes you lot believe that you need a Victorian to make it so you can live your life through them and seek validation from interstate strangers on an Internet forum. Pucovski was killing it a shield level and deserves his shot however I cannot ignore the hypocrisy of shoehorning him as a guaranteed starter in the test side based on a 3 lives 60 and a 10 whilst you lot were bashing Cameron Green after the first 2 tests.

Joe Burns copped it big time despite every other opener during this series playing like absolute dog sh*t as well. He makes a chance less 50 not out in our only test win of the series and you lot say it doesn’t count because it was a small chase. Yet when we have the best of the batting conditions batting first in Game 3 & 4 and without the pressure of a chase and no opener does much better, all I hear is deafening silence. I wonder if that’s because Will is Victorian and Harris plays for Victoria?
Apparently Pucovski’s 60 odd in a test we didn’t win guaranteed him a test spot for the foreseeable future despite being given 3 lives during that innings and looking like garbage against the short ball. There was also the small matter of a measly 10 runs in the second innings but hey we will just ignore that too and act like it was 10 runs more than Burns would have got

Now that Harris has proved he isn’t test standard, will you claim he is Western Australian now? ******* spare me.
I got to you lot and gave up on the dribble.

I have no vested interest in Pucovski making it other than if he does it means our opener woes are over.

And the truth finally comes out, it isn't just Victorians pushing the Puckovski case, everyone is pushing it because he's young and making runs, its the Australian dream.

It's funny you want to criticise him for not making a triple century and getting dropped in his innings but then defend Green for looking way out of his depth for his first couple of tests.

Your calling everyone hypocrites by being the biggest hypocrite of them all and just because Joe Burns who made double figures once in about 15 first class innings got dropped for a Victorian...

I don’t have anything personal against Pucovski, seems like a good bloke who deserved an opportunity based on his shield form and I hope he makes it but not because I need him to make it to serve my inferiority complex of needing a player that represents the state I support to feed my ego, but for the actual betterment of the Australian team. Something you don’t give 2 hoots about seeing as you support England.

Burns did deserve to be dropped, no arguments there. But I love how apparently his 50 not out in a winning cause counts for absolutely nothing in Victorians eyes yet a 3 life 60 in a draw guarantees their lord and saviour a free run in the side for the near future no questions asked.

As poor as Burns has been, did you honestly believe a half fit Warner, Pucovski and Harris actually achieved much better over the series? Burns and a fit Warner played in the only winning test. If Burns got dropped 3 times in an innings, he probably has another 50 to his name. Harris proved he is no better than Burns but at least Burns had some sort of decent test record to fall back on. Hell bloody Khawaja could have been recalled and probably out bats them all. But apparently only Glenn Maxwell can claim the hard done by tag.

The state of openers in Australia is dogshit in general. Blame T20 cricket for that.

I got to you lot and gave up on the dribble.

I have no vested interest in Pucovski making it other than if he does it means our opener woes are over.

I agree with that last statement. If he translates his shield form to the national team it is good news for Australia and means it’s one less problem we have to solve in the batting line up.

Don’t confuse the fact I was criticising him as me not liking him or not wanting him to make it, was merely putting the shoe on the other foot in the regards to the state bias. I think we can all admit Pucovski at least showed promise and there is something there, but to make him immune to criticism just because he is ‘their boy’ is double standard especially when everyone was happy to complete blast Burns, Head, Wade, Warner and Green yet didn’t hear a ******* peep when Harris failed.

A fit Davey played in Adelaide? Really?

But yeah nothing like pinning all your argument on a not out chasing the massive 4th innings total Australia needed in Adelaide.

I’m not claiming a 50 not out in a small chase should have been enough to keen Burns his spot though, especially after his struggles in Boxing Day. That’s putting words in my mouth. Had he built on that 50 might have been a different story.

What I have a problem with is how a lot of you fob off an unbeaten half century like it’s absolutely nothing because it was in small chase, yet only one other occasion we had an opener pass 50 and that was after being dropped twice.

Would have thought there would be less pressure to make runs when your batting first on day 1 with the best of batting conditions and without scoreboard pressure. Our openers as a whole were dogshit all series full stop. We are no closer to fixing that problem. Pucovski is still an unknown quantity and has realistically been shoehorned into an opening position based on our limited options there despite the majority of his career batting at 3 or below.

I’m not claiming a 50 not out in a small chase should have been enough to keen Burns his spot though, especially after his struggles in Boxing Day. That’s putting words in my mouth. Had he built on that 50 might have been a different story.

What I have a problem with is how a lot of you fob off an unbeaten half century like it’s absolutely nothing because it was in small chase, yet only one other occasion we had an opener pass 50 and that was after being dropped twice.

Would have thought there would be less pressure to make runs when your batting first on day 1 with the best of batting conditions and without scoreboard pressure. Our openers as a whole were dogshit all series full stop. We are no closer to fixing that problem. Pucovski is still an unknown quantity and has realistically been shoehorned into an opening position based on our limited options there despite the majority of his career batting at 3 or below.

And Wade who’s never opened and all because the one player in the team who’s got the most opening experience couldn’t move up one spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back