Player Watch Ben Crocker (Delisted 2019, Pies VFL 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem for young Ben is that he doesn’t seem to do any one thing especially well... not quick, gets pushed around too easily, not a crunching tackler, kicking is suss and not very strong overhead... he needs to get at least two or three of those things going for him or he’ll have a career playing the early game...

The problem for young Ben is that he doesn’t seem to do any one thing especially well... not quick, gets pushed around too easily, not a crunching tackler, kicking is suss and not very strong overhead... he needs to get at least two or three of those things going for him or he’ll have a career playing the early game...
The easiest one to work on is tackling. Look at Goldsack he's basically quick, tackles and is versatile; outside of pace Crocker could do worse than drawing aspects from Goldsack's game.

Pace is important for tackling though, which is why Crocker (and fasolo for that matter) struggles.
Crocker’s pace wouldn’t be much less than Blair or Wills though. Macaffer pre knee was a bit quicker, but is probably a better comparison.

Crocker’s pace wouldn’t be much less than Blair or Wills though. Macaffer pre knee was a bit quicker, but is probably a better comparison.

I don't think it's necessarily an issue of raw pace - the thing Crocker appears to lacks is a bit of strength through his core which impacts on all facets of his game (ie. can't really gain separation on the the lead, has trouble sticking tackles, not clunking relatively easy marks, unable to finish outside 35-40m, etc).

I'm guessing the club took a late flier on him hoping he'd perhaps develop into something like Luke Breust (albeit a poor man's version), as a mid-sized goal sneak who brings some forward pressure and can take a grab, but without that bit of power it's not going to happen.

I feel for the kid as it's bloody hard having to look after a terminally ill parent and try to build a successful career in any field, never mind professional sport.

He still has another year and another pre-season to develop, but there's no doubt he's got to find a way to put in the hard yards both on and off the field if he's to have any chance of making it as an AFL footballer.

I struggle watching him, get a little frustrated at times but I do need to curb this a little and remember he still has time and he will get better, just how much he can improve I am not too sure. Is it enough and will others shoot past him if he doesn't get there soon.

He will be the first out once Elliott resumes and time is ticking.

At the end of the day his spot is there for him to lose but we need to see more. IMHO

I struggle watching him, get a little frustrated at times but I do need to curb this a little and remember he still has time and he will get better, just how much he can improve I am not too sure. Is it enough and will others shoot past him if he doesn't get there soon.

He will be the first out once Elliott resumes and time is ticking.

At the end of the day his spot is there for him to lose but we need to see more. IMHO
yeah he has almost become the new Blair I see no upside in his game and he has no real X-Factor or weapon and doesn't hit the score board regulary enough. He for mine is outside our top 30. goes to show our injury list. I would have preferred to perhaps played Callum Brown and then pushed Daicos into the Forward pocket

At this stage, I don't think he is anywhere near AFL quality. I understand he was a late call up yesterday.

Maybe he is doing more than I realise. But from my observations, he doesn't look to be putting much defensive pressure or offensive pressure. To be honest, he is quite invisible out there.

Maybe needs a run at half back or midfield at VFL level for something new, because at this stage I don't think he has the tricks to be a forward.

I think they see him as a Tim Membrey type and at the same age they're eerily similar statistically. I'm not too knowledgeable about Membrey's progression but do people who are see that type of potential in Crocker?

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=16&type=A&pid1=4221&pid2=3839&fid1=O&fid2=O

yeah he has almost become the new Blair I see no upside in his game and he has no real X-Factor or weapon and doesn't hit the score board regulary enough. He for mine is outside our top 30. goes to show our injury list. I would have preferred to perhaps played Callum Brown and then pushed Daicos into the Forward pocket
I think Oxley provides a better forward option than Crocker and I'm not a huge fan when the Ox has played there but he still offers more IMHO. I haven't written Crocker off yet because he does try and can see the effort, just not convinced if the ceiling is high enough and could we be getting better outcomes now and longer term with others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that's a pretty accurate summation. He lacks a standout skill unfortunately

I think Oxley provides a better forward option than Crocker and I'm not a huge fan when the Ox has played there but he still offers more IMHO. I haven't written Crocker off yet because he does try and can see the effort, just not convinced if the ceiling is high enough and could we be getting better outcomes now and longer term with others.
it's the ceiling that I'm worried about also. i'm not certain how many games he has played but he would have to be creeping up to 50 and I just haven't seen that " break out " game yet

Thought he looked good in his first season but perhaps an illusion or he has gone backwards.

Blair is a great crumber and decent kick.

Crocker, well, is not a great crumber and he lacks accuracy and penetration in his kicking.

The only thing he has over Blair is height.

I would have Blair in ahead of him at least to be a nuisance/threat on the ground.

I also think that Crocker needs to learn to think before acting i.e. he gets caught with the ball at half forward so often without ever thinking that a knock on or a quick release handball will release another player into space, he always takes possession and then contemplates what to do with the ball once he has received it. By this stage it is well and truly too late.

At this stage, I don't think he is anywhere near AFL quality. I understand he was a late call up yesterday.

Maybe he is doing more than I realise. But from my observations, he doesn't look to be putting much defensive pressure or offensive pressure. To be honest, he is quite invisible out there.

Maybe needs a run at half back or midfield at VFL level for something new, because at this stage I don't think he has the tricks to be a forward.

Must have Great Attitude and Hard Worker during Training(Only Reason I can Think Of)

it's the ceiling that I'm worried about also. i'm not certain how many games he has played but he would have to be creeping up to 50 and I just haven't seen that " break out " game yet

Yesterday was his 23rd game.

I think I have said before that I see Caff of 2010 as what Crocker should be aiming for. Be a defensive-minded forward, who can still be a mid-sized target and have the odd 2-3 goal performance every few weeks.
When Crocker first came onto the scene - he looked like he could provide that. But the last couple years I think he's gotten worse, not even plateaued.

If he was providing the tackles and locking the ball up, then I wouldn't care about the offensive side. If you were regularly taking grabs, and/or hitting the scoreboard then you can get away with slipping defensively a bit. I think over the last 3 weeks he has been below average in all those areas. And even worse, whenever he gets the ball on the wing, the game just stops. (Mayne does the same thing, but is improving - except that Mayne is more than playing his role defensively and in the contests - you accept that he is cautious offensively.)

I hope the loss against WCE gets some questions asked about the sub-par guys in our 22, and that we see some ommissions next week.

My memory may be jaded but when he first came on the scene I seem to remember him as being a guy who could take a mark.
Seems to have lost that ability.

What were his "tools" at getting drafted. He obviously stared before he got drafted as he was say in the top 60 kids in the country. What was he special at?

If I recall correctly he had good goal sense, was reasonably elusive, could take a decent grab for his height and was a good kick for goal.

I suspect there's way too much going on above the shoulders, which is understandable given his family situation, and he's lost any instinctiveness and dare to take the game on that he may have possessed as a junior (he also showed a bit in his rookie year).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back