Ben Jacobs, make an offer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok dont think its worth all the agruements, Port wanted 15 clearly to high, North offered 38 useless to Port. Couldnt find middle ground so it didnt happen this week.

Where to now?

Port get a few weeks to convince him to stay, have shown they value him still as around a 1st rounder, yet have also refused to help him with his request to go home. my opinion 25% to stay. If so Port will only be able to use 2 picks throwing pick 31 away thanks to recruiting list cloggers like Stevenson.

Or he simply enters PSD with a high pricetag and a 1 year deal, either North grab him instantly making it a 3 year deal at correct price or someone takes the risk, he gets an amazing paycheck for a year then decides what to do this time next year.

You dont quite get it. Rhode believes he has a 'Better' chance of convincing a player (that the club clearly rates) as a more realistic chance than drafting someone with pick 38 or 39 or whatever the kangas offered.

If they offered a pick, lets say around 25 (give or take) than Rhode may well have been more willing to throw the dice at drafting a decent player over convincing Jacobs to stay....

but hey if you dont get that or dont want to, thats your choice. I am just glad the club didnt give a player they rated to North for something that held no perceivable value.

And if he walks, you will be forced to use #85?

You confuse whining with dumbfoundedness. Fair enough with PA not being happy with 38, I get that, it's not the best pick, but nothing? And then stating that they might re draft him if he walks? Is Jacobs that good that you want to draft him twice? Interesting stance is all.
The Port board is split in 2 over Jacobs and has been since his first game.
I'm on the "he will be a 150+ games player" side. IMO his supposed flaws are fixable with work and experience and he has a chance to be a top liner.
His reflex handball is top shelf and is a great accumulator. His pace is ok, skills can be very good but can also be the complete opposite of that under pressure. He also has a hard time getting out of tackles.
Skills under pressure (perceived or otherwise) will improve with experience and the avoiding tackles is both something that not only can be learned but improves with experience.
By all reports he works very hard at trying to improve himself.

Apparently, if true, his GF is from Melbourne and has struggled being away from the family.

More to the question, why the **** wouldn't Port Adelaide use pick #38?

In such good shape as to burn a mid second round draft pick? rofl.

Did you win the flag or something? There's still a heap of deadwood to be cleared there.....

Answer: Blokes need to placate Port supporters and protect their careers.

Our picks in the 30s over the last 10-12 years have been ******* awful so im sure youll understand why we wouldnt just accept a late 30s pick when we wish to and hope to keep Jacobs anyway and we'd msot likely draft some bloke who'll be stuck in the SANFL reserves for years as his replacement.

Port's last pick prior to 2011 in the 30's?

Matthew Broadbent.

Coincidentally, with pick 38.

bend over once and everyone will expect you to bend over the next time.

port has shown we will not be dictated too by clubs poaching our wanted players.

bit hard to get in their ear about how much you want them at your club and then play coy at trade time.

bend over once and everyone will expect you to bend over the next time.

port has shown we will not be dictated too by clubs poaching our wanted players.

bit hard to get in their ear about how much you want them at your club and then play coy at trade time.

Hilarious.

Do you think clubs will FEAR Port Adelaide at the trading table in future?

Matthew Broadbent.

Still a gamble....the Power have been up front with North from day one that 38 doesn't do it....and North rate him higher than that as well....but don't have the pick and were not willing to put a player we rate on the table....of course pick 38 has value...so does 72 if you pick Hird ...but it was always Powers intention to try talk him around if we didn't get mid 20 for him. He showed great signs in a couple of games last year we are happy to get nothing rather make weak trade than be reminded of it when he picks up another clubs B&F.

We are mean like that;)

Port get a few weeks to convince him to stay, have shown they value him still as around a 1st rounder, yet have also refused to help him with his request to go home. my opinion 25% to stay. If so Port will only be able to use 2 picks throwing pick 31 away thanks to recruiting list cloggers like Stevenson.

This is wrong.

We have four spots on our list, which will be filled with picks 7, 30 and 31 and either a delisted free agent (possibly Jolly) or our pick 5 in the PSD.

If Jacobs leaves we will have five spots to fill.

So we haven't wasted anything and have left plenty of options open.

Hate to say it but Rhode played it perfectly.

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kangas were kicking tyres for two weeks and never wanted to pay a fare price.

Exchanging our pick 30 for their pick 15 was about right, but offering 38 was bad faith.

Kangas were kicking tyres for two weeks and never wanted to pay a fare price.

Exchanging our pick 30 for their pick 15 was about right, but offering 38 was bad faith.

I guess we will have to console ourselves, and settle for someone like Ben Kennedy or Dayle Garlett.

:(

This is wrong.

We have four spots on our list, which will be filled with picks 7, 30 and 31 and either a delisted free agent (possibly Jolly) or our pick 5 in the PSD.

If Jacobs leaves we will have five spots to fill.

So we haven't wasted anything and have left plenty of options open.

Hate to say it but Rhode played it perfectly.

Don't underestimate pick 85 mate.:thumbsu:

Port could go down in history as the first club to ever use the thing outside of a rookie promotion.

As I stated earlier, I will LOL if you end up going to the PSD for Campbell, without pick 38 under your belt.

I guess we will have to console ourselves, and settle for someone like Ben Kennedy or Dayle Garlett.

Garlett will slide to 15 maybe a risk ?.....He may even slide to 30 being indigenous having off field issue's and having to move far from home....Kennedy should be a good pick up though.

You settled for Pedersen for Gysberts at the last minute.

North are crazy for inside mids when they need players who can kick like Jacobs or spread like Yarran.

Matthew Broadbent.

You sent pick 39 to Collingwood for two picks in the forties.

Why would they settle for that deal?

Jacobs isn't Lucas Cook who didn't even get a game for a bottom side since he was drafted.

Or Josh Toy..

This reminds me of Russell wanting to go home after two years and re-signing because Port wouldn't meet our price. Noof stayed on and played 116 games after a change of coach eventually turned his career around. Jacobs has more ability than Russell, so they shouldn't take one to benefit Norf.

Shame Jacobs won't get to pick 36 if he enters the national draft. Richmond, Hawthorn or Essendon could pounce if Collingwood doesn't use one of their three picks.

Garlett will slide to 15 maybe a risk ?.....He may even slide to 30 being indigenous having off field issue's and having to move far from home....Kennedy should be a good pick up though.

Vlastuin, Graham, Hrovat, I would comfortably take 6-8 players at pick 15 ahead of Jacobs.

Vlastuin, Graham, Hrovat, I would comfortably take 6-8 players at pick 15 ahead of Jacobs.

enuff already, we didnt ask for 15 for just Jacobs. It was Jacobs PLUS 30. The kangas didnt rate Jacobs that high, fine. Take Kennedy, Valstuin, Graham, Hrovat whoever you like and move on. But dont expect Port to give you Jacobs for something they arent going to use.

Even more simple... if Jacobs goes (which is likely) we will use picks 7,30,31 and that will leave 1 spot on our list.

We will pick up a fa or psd player.
So we would have passed on pick 38.... as such - why would we trade for it???? That it the key question.

We've probably done you a favour as you may be able to fa him after the draft....or psd him and use 38.

Matthew Broadbent.

Its actually Ben Newton and Aaron Young, but anyway. Broadbent is the one decent player out of about 12 player picked in the 30s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back