News Ben Jacobs walks out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day Port did the right thing by Port (not accepting less than his value when the pick was worthless to us anyway and we still had a very slight chance to keep him), North did the right thing by North (not giving up their pick 15 for a player who isn't worth that much and who they will probably end up getting for 38) and Jacobs did the right thing by Jacobs (getting to Melbourne for the $$ he wants).

Move on...

Close thread!

Greenwood plus 38 would have been a good result. Rhodes specifically stated he never enquired about Greenwood. I don't understand why this is the case?

I also don't understand how pick 38 is of no value but we use a PSD pick. Pick 38 is a mid second round pick. It is the new 24. I think we got Broady for 38. Anyway...in Rhodes we trust!

I explained my position on that in another post. I'm sure Rohde would have been happy to benefit from a multi-club deal if North could have acquired a pick earlier than 30 to trade for Jacobs. But there was no need for Port to get involved as an active participant in a multi-club deal and give up even more to help North get a player we would have preferred to keep.

So you're saying that Port decided they'd rather try to keep Jacobs than take something of little value for him? That's EXACTLY what the guy you've been arguing with for two pages has said, so I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

Ford Fairlane said:
It was a simple equation. North had to give up something of value to get something of value. They didn't do it.

Well that depends. If they draft him at pick 38, then they didn't need to give up any more than that, and their actions will have proven to be 100% right.

Anyway, it's not North's fault that we decided the likes of Tom Logan and Daniel Stewart are more valuable than pick 38.

Ford Fairlane said:
Greenwood's worth about a third round pick.
How do you justify Greenwood being worth a third rounder but maintain that Jacobs is worth a first rounder? Greenwood was taken at pick 32 and has done more to justify that than what Jacobs has done to justify being taken at pick 16.

So you're saying that Port decided they'd rather try to keep Jacobs than take something of little value for him? That's EXACTLY what the guy you've been arguing with for two pages has said, so I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

The other guy is sniping at our club. That is why Ford is arguing with him.

i dont think rhode had to enquire about greenwood.

north supporters are adamant that ronald macdonald or whoever their guy is straight off the bat said greenwood wasnt available.

besides, im fully expecting port to line up an offer of pick 128 for greenwood next year.

No I'm saying Port wanted something better than pick 30 for Jacobs and North didn't even come close to trying to secure that. How many times do I have to say it?

I'm also disputing Tas's ridiculous assertions that Port set out to make the trade fail from the outset when it was North that never budged from a pick that Port said they couldn't use.

I've seen so much deflection from Tas about North having any responsibility for the trade failing and any number of conspiracy theories about how it was Port's fault that I'm half expecting him/her to tell me Peter Rohde was on the grassy knoll on 22 November 1963, that he's conducted alien autopsies in Area 51 and he knows where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

How do you justify Greenwood being worth a third rounder but maintain that Jacobs is worth a first rounder? Greenwood was taken at pick 32 and has done more to justify that than what Jacobs has done to justify being taken at pick 16.

Again I am saying Jacobs was worth something inside pick 30. Even Tas has conceded that much. As for Greenwood, he's 24 next year, played 18 games in the last two years and his value is predicated on some good tagging displays in 2010.

I get you don't rate Jacobs. That's your opinion. I don't agree and I think Port were within their rights to go for as good a draft pick as they could get. My issue isn;t that Jacobs is gone and as I have stated twice already I am happy to see us develop some young talent in his place as we have done for as long as I have supported Port.

Are the buzzards not circling this one guys?
1481355-1414679_end_thread_super_super.jpg

Its good to hearing Port were developing good talent back in the 1800's :p:thumbsu:

Those were the days on the mound at Buck's Flat. Chewy on your boot old chum. Oh there was some thigh-slapping repartee. :p

Are the buzzards not circling this one guys?

Probably so. Might put this one in the mausoleum for a spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back