Roast Concussion? Nah, walk it off boys..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Massive head clash between two of our players. Both players stay down a while. Jonas visibly looks troubled getting back to his feet.

You'd think that'd be worth checking for a concussion. Nah, just wrap some duct tape around their heads and send em back out moite, there's only a few minutes to go! It'll look real bad for Kenny if we drop this one!

This is not the first time this seems to happen. I can't recall specifics so I'm sure I'll get roasted here, but I can remember several instances in previous years of players getting smashed in the head, looking wobbly, coming off then back on without going down to the rooms because we're a man down.

Any time there's any criticism of this sort of stuff it's always immediately "oh the medical staff at all clubs are so professional, this could never happen".

I reckon we're the worst at it. And we bring players back too soon after injury.

Massive head clash between two of our players. Both players stay down a while. Jonas visibly looks troubled getting back to his feet.

You'd think that'd be worth checking for a concussion. Nah, just wrap some duct tape around their heads and send em back out moite, there's only a few minutes to go! It'll look real bad for Kenny if we drop this one!

This is not the first time this seems to happen. I can't recall specifics so I'm sure I'll get roasted here, but I can remember several instances of players getting smashed in the head, looking wobbly, coming off then back on without going down to the rooms because we're a man down.

Any time there's any criticism of this sort of stuff it's always immediately "oh the medical staff at all clubs are so professional, this could never happen".

I reckon we're the worst at it. And we bring players back too soon after injury.
The game was on the line but it wasn’t a great look for us.

I’m uncomfortable that both Jonas and Butters returned to the field without having a proper concussion test. Jonas in particular looked in a bad way leaving the field.

It adds to a growing list of decisions that indicate absolutely no controls over injury/player management within our football department.

Last edited:
Your a doctor like abby Holmes to?

The protocol is simple. You can't assess someone for concussion on the bench, they go down to the rooms and do a test.

Normally the docs watch replays of the hit to determine if it was a head knock.

Maybe they weren't concussed. That isn't even the point. The point is how can the doctor assess that without actually testing them? They got wrapped in bandages to stop the blood and bundled back out immediately.

Jonas in particular looked faarked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The protocol is simple. You can't assess someone for concussion on the bench, they go down to the rooms and do a test.

Normally the docs watch replays of the hit to determine if it was a head knock.

Maybe they weren't concussed. That isn't even the point. The point is how can the doctor assess that without actually testing them? They got wrapped in bandages to stop the blood and bundled back out immediately.

Jonas in particular looked faarked.
How do you know the doctor didn't test them?? Where are all the protocols, where all the tests are listed if you are such an expert?

You are saying every single test is compulsory. What rules say that? You obviously have a copy of them and have read thoroughly given how much of an expert you are, so copy and paste them into this thread.

I hope it gets looked at, and if we did something blatantly wrong I hope we get slapped, because the players need to be looked after and saved from themselves.

I'm not saying we made the wrong decision putting them back on, but it looks really bad (particularly with the way Jonas looked coming off), and it would be good if we were either punished or cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back