Review Port vs Brisbane QF @ The Gabba - It's OK Guys, Finals are a Bit Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

69% disp eff, 5 turn overs, multiple dumb acts and shirking the contest in the second qtr is enough for me to drop Duursma. Simply he cant handle the pressure. Might be nice a fluffy during the minor round but when it counts, he crumbles. Seeya!!
Duursma was in good form before he got injured this season. He is a gut runner who needs to be 100% fit to play well. His fitness isn’t right at the moment and he looks gassed when he gets the ball.
Probably another case of Hinkley playing someone underdone rather than that player being a bust.
I would agree his 12 point turnovers by foot early were terrible. I noticed in round 4 this season we cut 2-3 turnover merchants, jones/ georgiadis, and looked way better for it. Really can’t have players who turn it over by foot on simple passes.

I have always thought our senior players to be weak mentally, ie unable to perform at their peak in big games under pressure, for many years.

that always was one of our biggest problems. other teams have their senior players playing well and leading by example. we always have to defend ours and make excuses. our senior players become "Champions" of the club by default, simply by the amount of games they've played, no other metric. they aren't even treated like regular footy players, they are like club ambassadors, Charlie Dixon is the biggest example of this I've ever seen, he exists to look scary in membership drives and to get stupid members endorphins flowing, not to play 23 games and kick 65 goals, nobody expects or even imagines that. the gold pass system has evolved into something even bigger and out of control.

So what are our thoughts on Byrne-Jones being subbed off?
Was it a 'drag him for being shite', or did he have some minor injury?

So what are our thoughts on Byrne-Jones being subbed off?
Was it a 'drag him for being shite', or did he have some minor injury?
Funeral on friday

What kind of a ****ed up world are we living in when paid journalists can't see it's the coach.

they're paid to convince you that it isn't the coach, just like they're paid to make thug acts seem harmless

that always was one of our biggest problems. other teams have their senior players playing well and leading by example. we always have to defend ours and make excuses. our senior players become "Champions" of the club by default, simply by the amount of games they've played, no other metric. they aren't even treated like regular footy players, they are like club ambassadors, Charlie Dixon is the biggest example of this I've ever seen, he exists to look scary in membership drives and to get stupid members endorphins flowing, not to play 23 games and kick 65 goals, nobody expects or even imagines that. the gold pass system has evolved into something even bigger and out of control.
This was very obvious in the Collingwood game, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Elliot were all performing to a high standard. Our seniors were terrible and at the point where they are just holding the team back. Never good enough again to challenge for finals seriously & just doing barely enough to hold their spots to keep a junior player from getting a shot.
Lord, Pasini, Even Hayes were the only positives for the season & if Hinkley could have juiced Lycett/ Dixon up anymore we wouldn’t have seen them

Duursma was in good form before he got injured this season. He is a gut runner who needs to be 100% fit to play well. His fitness isn’t right at the moment and he looks gassed when he gets the ball.
Probably another case of Hinkley playing someone underdone rather than that player being a bust.
I would agree his 12 point turnovers by foot early were terrible. I noticed in round 4 this season we cut 2-3 turnover merchants, jones/ georgiadis, and looked way better for it. Really can’t have players who turn it over by foot on simple passes.
Yeah he definitely looked injured on the weekend. Lacked pace and acceleration.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah he definitely looked injured on the weekend. Lacked pace and acceleration.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Looks like he is running in sand.
I thought with a good block of games he could build his fitness for finals but apparently not.
Other teams probably would have aimed to get him right for next season but he has probably aggravated his injury or something

The other thing about our seniors is that wines/ boak struggle to hold their old midfield roles so have been forced into odd positions like wing/ half forward that they are ill equipped to play & it throws team balance off.
I think that pair still have something to offer but ffs get their bodies right then play them in their proper positions and if they can’t manage to get properly fit then cut them.
Sad but it’s not a retirement village. Same with Lycett/ Dixon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing as I was at a party I thought I’d watch the replay. After reading on here I was expecting very little.

In the end Brisbane beat us fair and square. Umpiring was consistent, well done Brisbane.

Our poor conversion probably cost us as 4-5 goal loss really.

Our disposal and composure was not as clean when we are in fit and firing form. Credit to Brisbane. I thought our midfield was pants. Especially senior members Boak and Wines. However all players didn’t seem to run and carry and more quick around the corner kicks.

Therefore our defence not looking great didn’t have the chop out support they needed from up the ground.

I’m not going to pick on individual players, it’s been done. However we kick better, they don’t pull em out their ass and increase the pressure by 10-15% and it would have been game on.

Overall I’m still optimistic where this list and team can go in 2024, but I’d definitely look at trading Wines and retiring Boak and bringing in some players 25-27 who are workman like to support the three midfield stars.

Yup, i'm a massive fan, but he's been really really poor since he's come back from injury. I don't know if it's impacting his kicking, but gee whiz he missed some targets badly.

He also looks really unfit, which is a strange one as that is one of his biggest weapons. Is he trying too hard and running himself into the ground? Is he doing too much pointless running? Hard to know watching on tv, but massive issue right now.

I know he will come good eventually, however it may be a bridge too far this season. Not sure how Bonner finished the season in the SANFL, but he may be the guy to bring in. Has a decent record in finals too, and typically comes back into the side strongly before getting complacent and dropped again.

I'm going to take the glass half full view on this game.

We had plenty of opportunities to score goals, our finishing was deplorable as it often is, but probably worse than usual.

However, we were right in it until the double injury - in hindsight we probably should have thrown an extra back at this stage just to protect and allow us to regroup. Brisbane likely still would have won, but a far more respectable loss and we wouldn't all be melting here right now. Let's not forget they're undefeated at the GABBA, it's not an easy place to go.

I was really concerned with our centre clearance work, and how easily Brisbane got out of there at times.

For me, Lycett had a very strange game. He won some contests convincingly, but was also beaten convincingly in other contests.

I'm confident we will regroup well and rebound well provided McKenzie plays or we are able to find a solution.

Maybe, just maybe, if "Kenny" hadn't ridden the injured players into the ground, Lycett, Dixon, Marshall, McKenzie, Wines (there'd be more), in the pursuit of a contract extension, we wouldn't be in this position. He is the most selfish, dishonest, fraudulent employee ever to set foot in Alberton.

Did you notice when Ollie, in all naivety, said the group got inspiration from the movie Oppenheimer which turns

into a PR glitch Daddy Donuts says "I haven't seen the movie" follows up with some "it's a bit unfair" blah blah

but his first response was his to cover his own arse... hmmm noice. What a guy to have 'your back' in the trenches.

He'd throw his Mum under the bus.

Rewatching the game , it is clear how large the gap is for certain areas. The lions get so much out of their powerful small to mid/ forward brigade. Guys like Zac Bailey , Rayner , Cameron and McCarthy are so explosive can play high and get forward quickly. If you compare this with McEntee and DBJ as defensive triers playing the same roles we are along way short.

Rewatching the game , it is clear how large the gap is for certain areas. The lions get so much out of their powerful small to mid/ forward brigade. Guys like Zac Bailey , Rayner , Cameron and McCarthy are so explosive can play high and get forward quickly. If you compare this with McEntee and DBJ as defensive triers playing the same roles we are along way short.
Collingwood are similar in that way, too.

Just a guy going around minding his own business and somehow is facing federal charges. Land of the ******* free not
emoji848.png
I thought it was a good analogy for Hinkley’s finals push
Apparently he has tried to giant hamster wheel his way to England 4-5 times, fails but keeps on trying.
I noticed that in the Collingwood v Brisbane game. Lions have got 4-5 very powerful mid sized forwards. I mentioned the threat on the pregame thread.
Guys like Rayner, he is huge & most of them are marking threats & kick long goals. SPP/ Rioli are potent but Dbj/ Mcentee are pussycats by comparison

I thought it was a good analogy for Hinkley’s finals push
Apparently he has tried to giant hamster wheel his way to England 4-5 times, fails but keeps on trying.

I noticed that in the Collingwood v Brisbane game. Lions have got 4-5 very powerful mid sized forwards. I mentioned the threat on the pregame thread.
Guys like Rayner, he is huge & most of them are marking threats & kick long goals. SPP/ Rioli are potent but Dbj/ Mcentee are pussycats by comparison
For mid sizers they are also have some aerial potency , not afraid to launch at it, very explosive powerful types.

Which is why I think it's a bit over the top for people to blame the entire failure straight on Hinkley.

Objectively - looking at our playing list, we have some absolute strengths, such as our midfield.

But realistically, is our forward line great? Maybe at full strength and fitness it's decent with Charlie, Marshall and Fin, with SPP, Rioli, Fantasia with backups of Evans, DBJ and McEntee - not bad - but doesn't really stack up with some of the best fwd lines out there. Charlie has always been one that threatens a lot, but rarely kicks enough goals to be considered top tier. It hurts, but it's the truth.

What about our defence? It's probably bottom 6 - Aliir is a good intercept defender, however always struggles when he's asked to play as a one on one lockdown defender. McKenzie and Jonas try hard and do well above their weight, but are undersized and should be playing as a third tall. The stats show we are 17th for one on one contests won by defenders.

Our ruck is bottom 6.

Yes yes yes, Ken has had 11 years to get the list sorted etc. - but that's not all Ken. There is literally a team of ppl who's job it is to get that squad right. Have we ever had a squad that was premiership worthy under Ken?

I honestly think at times, he has over achieved with the squad we have - and at other times, he's under achieved. I think our squad is 4-6 in the comp at this stage, and has been around that level for the last 4 years or so. Our finishing positions reflect that. We definitely under achieved last season.

If Ken is going to cop criticism, then so should the list builders. Cripps has done a great job with the midfield, but where is the KPF and KPD's that you need to win a premiership?

Which is why I think it's a bit over the top for people to blame the entire failure straight on Hinkley.

Objectively - looking at our playing list, we have some absolute strengths, such as our midfield.

But realistically, is our forward line great? Maybe at full strength and fitness it's decent with Charlie, Marshall and Fin, with SPP, Rioli, Fantasia with backups of Evans, DBJ and McEntee - not bad - but doesn't really stack up with some of the best fwd lines out there. Charlie has always been one that threatens a lot, but rarely kicks enough goals to be considered top tier. It hurts, but it's the truth.

What about our defence? It's probably bottom 6 - Aliir is a good intercept defender, however always struggles when he's asked to play as a one on one lockdown defender. McKenzie and Jonas try hard and do well above their weight, but are undersized and should be playing as a third tall. The stats show we are 17th for one on one contests won by defenders.

Our ruck is bottom 6.

Yes yes yes, Ken has had 11 years to get the list sorted etc. - but that's not all Ken. There is literally a team of ppl who's job it is to get that squad right. Have we ever had a squad that was premiership worthy under Ken?

I honestly think at times, he has over achieved with the squad we have - and at other times, he's under achieved. I think our squad is 4-6 in the comp at this stage, and has been around that level for the last 4 years or so. Our finishing positions reflect that. We definitely under achieved last season.

If Ken is going to cop criticism, then so should the list builders. Cripps has done a great job with the midfield, but where is the KPF and KPD's that you need to win a premiership?
The issue with Ken is that he has had better squads then the current , has had opportunities at home in PF's to progress to the GF as a bare minimum pass mark and has failed to deliver. This is the frustration expressed by most on this forum and in the pursuit of sporting excellence shouldn't have warranted his extensions.

As to the squad now, there's nothing like the laser focus of playing the best in finals to really amplify the gaps in quality. We are in a tricky situation where we are always chasing our tail filling holes. There is however a opportunity to undertake a proper rebuild with some pain with a longer term view.

I would expect that would also position a new coach to launch at the finals with a more rounded squad. I would be targeting more then a KPD , an identifying some quality mids/forwards in the mold of the lions mix.

Maybe Delean in draft, poach Phillipou from Saints etc

Our ruck is bottom 6.

Would Ken play the KPF or KPD anyway even if he had them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back