Review Port vs Brisbane QF @ The Gabba - It's OK Guys, Finals are a Bit Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a shocker of a game, no doubt about it. But it's one poor game across a pretty damn good season. Bad timing, bad luck whatever you want to call it.

But I'm not sure how you attribute it solely to Ken - the players simply did not show up, and we came up against a team that everything just clicked for.

Attachments

• 95D341A0-6001-41F9-BE36-4DE73FFA2CBF.jpeg
    95D341A0-6001-41F9-BE36-4DE73FFA2CBF.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 75
Premierships are won by bit players all the time
By this stage in the campaign the above arguement is mute
They are won by bit part players sure, but only with a strong core on top.

I'm a strong believer in the bottom 6 players of a team being the key to success. You can have all the cream in the world, but if you have 6 plodders, then you're in trouble.

If you compare our bottom 6 against Brisbane, it's clear where the game was lost.

It wasn't that our top end players didn't play to their level this week, they mostly did. But their bottom 6 delivered, ours did not.

Sure, but a similar thing happened in the 2017 Elimination Final.

When Port didn’t turn up and 8th-placed WCE played out of their minds early to be 44-13 up just 9 minutes into the second quarter.

At least that night saw a feverish comeback (and blown 13-point lead in the first period of extra time prior to Shuey’s hijinx) rather than a Paris 1940-style capitulation, but still.

And who could forget the late-season meeting with North Melbourne at Marvel in 2019, where Port were heavily-favoured to ease past the declining Roos to secure their place in the eight, only to cop an 86-point thumping replete with 10-goal Ben Brown bag?

Again, another must-win game where Port doesn’t show up and the opposition are made to look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

And the master of the domain still resides in-situ.

You don't think these things happen to every club and every coach?

They are won by bit part players sure, but only with a strong core on top.

I'm a strong believer in the bottom 6 players of a team being the key to success. You can have all the cream in the world, but if you have 6 plodders, then you're in trouble.

If you compare our bottom 6 against Brisbane, it's clear where the game was lost.

It wasn't that our top end players didn't play to their level this week, they mostly did. But their bottom 6 delivered, ours did not.
But the Port bottom 6 players arent less skillful, smaller or heck even younger

On our bench we had a pick 1 and a brownlow medalist whose age still starts with 2 ffs. We had a 12 gamer kick 4!
The system that allows a Mcentee to do nothing has been around for a long time. Its not the players when the trend is this obvious.

When they happen every year, every other club gets rid of the coach presiding over it and tries a new one.

Sure, but a similar thing happened in the 2017 Elimination Final.

When Port didn’t turn up and 8th-placed WCE played out of their minds early to be 44-13 up just 9 minutes into the second quarter.

At least that night saw a feverish comeback (and blown 13-point lead in the first period of extra time prior to Shuey’s hijinx) rather than a Paris 1940-style capitulation, but still.

And who could forget the late-season meeting with North Melbourne at Marvel in 2019, where Port were heavily-favoured to ease past the declining Roos to secure their place in the eight, only to cop an 86-point thumping replete with 10-goal Ben Brown bag?

Again, another must-win game where Port doesn’t show up and the opposition are made to look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

And the master of the domain still resides in-situ.

It's like a genie gave him the option:

A) Good luck when it comes to contract negotiations and bad luck in finals, or

B) Good luck in finals and bad luck in contract negotiations

and he said I'll take A thanks.

What time on Monday do we get the Rucci propaganda piece on the Port website? Something about “great teams face adversity” or “Keeping the faith”

It's like a genie gave him the option:

A) Good luck when it comes to contract negotiations and bad luck in finals, or

B) Good luck in finals and bad luck in contract negotiations

and he said I'll take A thanks.
Undue credit that he waited to hear the 2nd option.

That was a shocker of a game, no doubt about it. But it's one poor game across a pretty damn good season. Bad timing, bad luck whatever you want to call it.

But I'm not sure how you attribute it solely to Ken - the players simply did not show up, and we came up against a team that everything just clicked for.
* me how many times can a team not show up for their coach (A coach these players claim to love btw) before people realise that it’s the coach that may just be the problem? If they like Ken so much then show up when it bloody matters all the time

Not 11 years in with no success to show for it they don't. That's just us.

Big game mental fragility makes winning premierships impossible. We've been failing to show up in big games for a decade. A huge section of the supporter base has gone into this finals series downtrodden and with no expectation because Ken Hinkley coached sides failing to show up in big games is so ingrained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When this happens once, okay.

When this happens in season defining games year in year out, you might need to work on your pattern recognition. We are mentally fragile and we're almost never properly mentally prepared for big games. You have to win 3 big games in a row to win a flag.

Which is why I think it's a bit over the top for people to blame the entire failure straight on Hinkley.

Objectively - looking at our playing list, we have some absolute strengths, such as our midfield.

But realistically, is our forward line great? Maybe at full strength and fitness it's decent with Charlie, Marshall and Fin, with SPP, Rioli, Fantasia with backups of Evans, DBJ and McEntee - not bad - but doesn't really stack up with some of the best fwd lines out there. Charlie has always been one that threatens a lot, but rarely kicks enough goals to be considered top tier. It hurts, but it's the truth.

What about our defence? It's probably bottom 6 - Aliir is a good intercept defender, however always struggles when he's asked to play as a one on one lockdown defender. McKenzie and Jonas try hard and do well above their weight, but are undersized and should be playing as a third tall. The stats show we are 17th for one on one contests won by defenders.

Our ruck is bottom 6.

Yes yes yes, Ken has had 11 years to get the list sorted etc. - but that's not all Ken. There is literally a team of ppl who's job it is to get that squad right. Have we ever had a squad that was premiership worthy under Ken?

I honestly think at times, he has over achieved with the squad we have - and at other times, he's under achieved. I think our squad is 4-6 in the comp at this stage, and has been around that level for the last 4 years or so. Our finishing positions reflect that. We definitely under achieved last season.

If Ken is going to cop criticism, then so should the list builders. Cripps has done a great job with the midfield, but where is the KPF and KPD's that you need to win a premiership?

Our ruck is bottom 1.

But our defence was among the stingiest defences in the league in 2020/2021. We have 3 All Australian defenders on the list. If it's been allowed to go to s**t, why? We had the best defence in 2020 and added Aliir, then uncovered Williams. We haven't lost anyone of note in that time. What happened?

As tribey pointed out a couple of weeks ago, go and read what Richmond supporters felt about their defence in 2016. Spud city. Now they've got a bunch of triple premiership defenders who were decried as spuds a year before their first flag.

I'm sorry, he doesn't get a pass for turning 2020's #1 defence into a bottom 6 defence in 2023. That's on the coaching staff.

* me how many times can a team not show up for their coach (A coach these players claim to love btw) before people realise that it’s the coach that may just be the problem? If they like Ken so much then show up when it bloody matters all the time
They love him because they know they're safe regardless of pissant performance or not. It's okay, as long as we had fun connecting before the game.

Jesus. An interesting way to start the article. Finals involve “ just eight of the eighteen teams” Were not talking about winning lotto odds. That is 40% of the competition 😀

Yes, it is one poor game across a pretty damn good season but it was THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME of the year thus far. It was THE game to show up to. For mine, it was very similar to the first game we played against Collingwood. We battled hard to stay in it and then just before half time, we dropped our guts and pretty much gave up. Then the Lions had their way with us in the second half.

Bad timing. Bad luck. I would prefer not good enough from the coach, from the players, a serious lack of ticker from the players, a serious lack of mental fortitude, bad coaching from the coaches.

The only thing I can say about Kenny and the loss is that pretty much for his entire run as coach, players have not turned up for him when it counts. Many players have come and gone during those 11 years or so and he remains the one constant.

Let me put it this way. Can you remember a time when we were in finals and the players didn't rock up ready to go for Jack Cahill. Even Choco to a lesser extent. For Kenny, it is par for the course.

So it is a systemic coaching loser problem arising from poor administration.

Alright power fans, who's ready to sit there uncomfortably at the game and watch GWS kick the first goal within a minute, as the low murmuring of disappointment rolls around the ground as people fidget in their seats watching the same terrible movie replay itself for the millionth time over the last decade?

But our defence was among the stingiest defences in the league in 2020/2021. We have 3 All Australian defenders on the list. If it's been allowed to go to s**t, why? We had the best defence in 2020 and added Aliir, then uncovered Williams. We haven't lost anyone of note in that time. What happened?

IMO our defence is in the position it’s in now because of this logic and the club and many on here as well for years being pulled into this false narrative.

We never had a good defence. We conceded little points in those years because of our high forward press locking the ball in our forward half. That wasn’t because we had a strong defence, it’s because we moved nearly every player on the field into our forward half. The opposition didn’t score making our defence look strong but half the time we didn’t score either with our repeat inside 50s for nothing.

We needed to be drafting and developing key backs 3-4 years ago. But because of this false security we built ourselves we told ourselves we’re fine down back while ignoring the fact our key defensive stocks were very average, aging and had regular injury concerns.

This is what I just laugh at now on here so many now complaining about our defence but back years ago were also claiming we don’t need to address it because it’s so strong and we have adequate players in those roles. We never did and just decided to ignore this massive hole instead by telling ourselves we had that covered.

Our actual defensive line always sucked and it was obvious as dogs balls that this hole in our list was developing and we’d be in the position we are now.

The only thing I can say about Kenny and the loss is that pretty much for his entire run as coach, players have not turned up for him when it counts. Many players have come and gone during those 11 years or so and he remains the one constant.

Let me put it this way. Can you remember a time when we were in finals and the players didn't rock up ready to go for Jack Cahill. Even Choco to a lesser extent. For Kenny, it is par for the course.

Yes, that is true - we have been really poor and not ourselves in key games - I can't argue with that.

As for your question about Choco - 2007 GF rings a bell. There was a game in our 04 premiership year where we got smashed by 90 odd points. It happens to everyone.

Hinkley's issue has been the timing of the games.

Our ruck is bottom 1.

As tribey pointed out a couple of weeks ago, go and read what Richmond supporters felt about their defence in 2016. Spud city. Now they've got a bunch of triple premiership defenders who were decried as spuds a year before their first flag.

I'm sorry, he doesn't get a pass for turning 2020's #1 defence into a bottom 6 defence in 2023. That's on the coaching staff.
Jonas fell off a cliff. Whilst he's not an AA defender, he's made the squad a few times - which shows how good he was, and how important he was to us.
Clurey is the other one that's gone from our 2020/21 season.
McKenzie has had injury after injury over the past two seasons, and has been rushed back on numerous occasions due to no other option. They did try and get other defenders last season but failed.

The net result of all of this though is that AA has had to play as a lockdown defender rather than a floating interceptor. This is not his strength at all.

Not 11 years in with no success to show for it they don't. That's just us.

Big game mental fragility makes winning premierships impossible. We've been failing to show up in big games for a decade. A huge section of the supporter base has gone into this finals series downtrodden and with no expectation because Ken Hinkley coached sides failing to show up in big games is so ingrained.

Ok - so where is the evidence that chopping and changing the coach equals success?

Longmire won a premiership in 2012 and hasn't won one since - 11 years.
Scott won one in 2011 and only won one again 11 years later

My point has always been this - there was a time to sack Hinkley, and it was 2019. There was every justification needed to do it then, and no complaints from anyone.

Since then though, If you were to split his tenure into 2020 onwards, he's actually done a decent job. We've finished 3rd,3rd, 11th and 3rd again. I can't recall any coach getting sacked in recent times when the team has finished top 4 in 3 out of 4 seasons, including 2x Prelims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back