Review Port vs Brisbane QF @ The Gabba - It's OK Guys, Finals are a Bit Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree that Geelong were too good, but considering we finished 2nd that season, and had beaten them a few weeks earlier at their home deck, losing by 119 was not acceptable - our boys did not turn up.

I do agree with you that sometimes a team just clicks in finals, and I agree with the Melb/Dogs analogy - which is exactly what happened to us when we played the Dogs in a prelim a few years ago.

All the other prelims we have lost though have been less than a kick. It's not like we've been smashed in every final we've played, we've won some well, and mostly when we lose, it's been competitive.

We finished 2nd in 2007 but it was a very distant second. As I said, they had 9 AA's which I am pretty sure in unprecedented. Matthew Egan did a foot weeks before and never played again. Other AA players before or after 2007 for Geelong amount to 6. The spuds on that team is like Andrew Mackie or Josh Hunt. You got a wild card in Nathan Ablett who left the team. I'm just saying the Geelong 2007 had 8 AA players in it, the CHB AA but injured and 6 guys who had received AA honours in their career. Best team ever. Sorry if I've triggered anyone with that one.

I think we generally are agreeing, the only difference is that you think things are down to luck or being random or bad luck and bad timing. I'm sorry but that is loser talk. There is no accountability in that kind of talk and so it perpetuates the same poor results. We have seen that for 247 odd games.

I know that best practice is forger of your own destiny. This is the way the club use to be run. Accountability breeds success. You walk into Alberton Oval to have a schnitty and you see the Cups. The Creed is real.

Anyway, I've said my peace and happy to agree to disagree and will leave it at that as I don't want this to go into a Thundercloud rhetorical nightmare.

Go Power!!!

Waiting for a Janus review of the game
48 inside 50s to 64 wasn't it? And lost by 48 points? Let's go to the chart I posted before the game even started.

1694561947299.png

Review over. We couldn't control territory because our midfield got absolutely smashed in score from stoppages because they worked for each other and we didn't. Brisbane didn't score at a greater rate than they normally do, and neither did we.

"The clearances is where tonight's match was won for Brisbane. It scored from 41% of its clearances compared to 21% for Port Adelaide. The Lions piled on 81 points from that source to just 39 for the Power. Its most productive was from centre bounces - scoring 5.2 (32) to 4.0 (24)."

McCluggage had 8 clearances, 3 goal assists and 1 goal. Zorko had 2 clearances, 2 goal assists and 1 goal. Dunkley had 2 clearances and 2 goal assists. Bailey had 3 clearances, 2 goal assists and 1 goal. Rayner had 3 clearances and 3 goals. What did we have?

Butters - 3 clearances, 1 goal assist
Rozee - 8 clearances, 1 goal assist, 1 goal
Wines - 2 clearances
Houston - 4 clearances
Horne-Francis - 4 clearances
Drew - 8 clearances

You ain't gonna give yourself a chance to win a final with that kind of production from your mids.

48 inside 50s to 64 wasn't it? And lost by 48 points? Let's go to the chart I posted before the game even started.

View attachment 1801690

Review over. We couldn't control territory because our midfield got absolutely smashed in score from stoppages because they worked for each other and we didn't. Brisbane didn't score at a greater rate than they normally do, and neither did we.

"The clearances is where tonight's match was won for Brisbane. It scored from 41% of its clearances compared to 21% for Port Adelaide. The Lions piled on 81 points from that source to just 39 for the Power. Its most productive was from centre bounces - scoring 5.2 (32) to 4.0 (24)."

McCluggage had 8 clearances, 3 goal assists and 1 goal. Zorko had 2 clearances, 2 goal assists and 1 goal. Dunkley had 2 clearances and 2 goal assists. Bailey had 3 clearances, 2 goal assists and 1 goal. Rayner had 3 clearances and 3 goals. What did we have?

Butters - 3 clearances, 1 goal assist
Rozee - 8 clearances, 1 goal assist, 1 goal
Wines - 2 clearances
Houston - 4 clearances
Horne-Francis - 4 clearances
Drew - 8 clearances

You ain't gonna give yourself a chance to win a final with that kind of production from your mids.
The big question is - why did we lose clearances so badly?

Watching the game, I blamed Lycett, however his stats are decent and seem to suggest he broke even in the ruckwork.

Also just heard that based on expected score, we only lose by 2 points. Just a bit of additional salt in the wound.

Also just heard that based on expected score, we only lose by 2 points. Just a bit of additional salt in the wound.

more like 2 goals

definitely should have been closer, but as Port we don't expect a reversion to the mean because we have been historically inaccurate and our opponents have been historically accurate (no pressure)

Sample is too big now to consider it a once off.

more like 2 goals

definitely should have been closer, but as Port we don't expect a reversion to the mean because we have been historically inaccurate and our opponents have been historically accurate (no pressure)

Sample is too big now to consider it a once off.

Must have misheard. Still hurts that we could have been so much closer (and everything changes at that point)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back