Roast Concussion? Nah, walk it off boys..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the doctor allowed to speak for himself or must everything go through the Ken filter.

I am going to defend Hinkley here. He has actually defended the Club and Dr Fisher. What is he supposed to do? The Doctor may be bound by medical ethics that prevent him from commenting on the issue - who Knows?

Interesting that Dimmer was also supportive of the Club's handling of the situation.

What is amusing is the warning about graphic images in the ABC story. A player has a bandaged face and a bit of blood and it is considered too graphic for some people in today's society.

The players do baseline testing at the start of the season which they r measured against when they get tested for concussion. They deliberately perform poorly in the baseline test so that they are never ruled out of a game with concussion.

That is standard in world sport. It’s not like Jonas and Butters wanted to sit the last 10 minutes out. There would be 4-5 concussion subs a game if it was done by the book.

It’s just funny that we seemed to not bother with the concussion test at all, because there wasn’t enough time left. Lol

Is the doctor allowed to speak for himself or must everything go through the Ken filter.
Lol to be fair he was asked directly in the presser. Actually didn't mind his response - at least he didn't give his usual straight bat answer

Interesting that no one on BF or in the media has asked the question about whether the player who tackled Butter's should be nervous. For people so concerned about concussion, they are selective about it.
It was raised briefly by the commentary team just after it happened (right before the Baker goal) but only as something worthy of a free kick, not a suspension.

Extract below from the AFL’s community concussion protocols. Jonas didn’t vomit I guess? Maybe they did a memory test in the 3 minutes he was on the bench?

As others have said, I’ve seen other clubs keep players off the ground for less. It’s an uncomfortable look.

“Recognising a suspected concussion
(a) Any one or more of the following visual clues can indicate a possible concussion:
(i) Loss of consciousness or responsiveness
(ii) Lying motionless on ground/slow to get up
(iii) Vomiting
(iv) Seizure or convulsion
(v) Unsteady on feet / balance problems or falling over/incoordination
(vi) Grabbing/clutching of head
(vii) Dazed, blank or vacant look
(viii) Confused/not aware of plays or events
(ix) Impaired memory (unable to recall events leading up to or following the injury)
(x) Facial injury
(xi) Player does not seem like their normal self”
That document isn't the AFL guidelines because they know community clubs usually don't have doctors. That's why I didn't put it up last night.

Its sort of irrelevant to what an AFL doctor at the games, must do under the AFL guidelines.

The OP accused the doctor of not following the guidelines. If you don't know what they are, and can't reproduce them, then how can you accuse the doctor of not following them??? . But I don't like the look of it mummy, so it must be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think both things can be true to an extent.

I think it's true that we rushed them back out there because of the state of the game when in a different circumstance they both would've been concussion tested.

But I think it's also true that the doctor probably made his own snap judgment without the concussion test and decided it was a risk worth taking (ie neither player was displaying concussion like symptoms).

I know that's not strictly following the AFL rules but as far as I know a doctor is more bound by his Hippocratic Oath than by some procedure manual written by the Victorian boys club.

If they go after the doctor, the doctor should sue the AFL for defamation. Should also sue the media for questiuioning his prefessional integrity. Get the AMA involved. Tell them all to get f.ucked.
The AFL wont go after Dr Fisher. The only person from the AFL who will question Fisher is the AFL's Chief Medical officer Dr Michael Makdissi who was the deputy to long time chief officer Dr Peter Harcourt, who after 25 years finished up in that role last November. Harcourt is still staying to consult to the AFL on a part time basis and focus his efforts across Anti-Doping, Concussion, and further research. So I guess Dr Harcourt could also talk to Fisher. They will probably ask Fisher to confirm what he did last night.

Its the nuffies in the media who will carry on like pork chops and question his professional integrity.

Provided he's speaking on his own behalf and not just reiterating what the club wants him to say, I'd like to hear Brad Ebert's opinion on the incident. If anyone would understand the severity of the knock and the standards of the concussion protocols It'd be him.

Another in a long line of player mismanagement this year, to try and save Hinkley. If we were 10 goals up at this point does anyone seriously think we wouldn't have done a concussion test?

After all the AFL focus on protecting the head it should be compulsory for any player either involved in a head clash or tackled high to have to undergo a concussion test. If that means Selwood plays 2 minutes, ducks, off for 2 minutes getting a test, repeat 20 times a game, then fücking so be it.

ticked off by the AFL after talking to our medical staff.
All clear nothing to see here.

Just because it looked bad and there was blood doesnt make it any worse than when dusty got kneed in the back of the head by reiwoldt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back