Past Ben Ronke - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

OeqIVxNL.png

Ben Ronke

Player Profile

Ben Ronke is an exciting Sydney Swans small forward who announced himself to the AFL world when he booted seven goals against Hawthorn in Round 8, 2018 in just his third senior match. The youngster’s MCG blitz saw him become the youngest Swan since 1982 to kick seven goals in a game – and he won an AFL Rising Star nomination in the process. Ronke slotted 24 goals in 2018 but just nine last year, so the Calder Cannons product is determined to recapture dangerous form in 2020.

Ben Ronke

DOB: 18 December 1997
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: St Bernard's (Vic)/Calder U18

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could have gone 3 national and 3 rookie instead and saved ourselves 80k. It maybe me but I just don't understand why when we a supposed to be short of cap?
I suspect we were going to have cap problems if we'd kept Dawson and Hewett, hence we planned to lose Hewett, unexpectedly lost Dawson, and now we have a bit of cash for next year that we couldn't otherwise spend. Suspect if we'd kept Dawson, we'd have not re-signed a couple. And yeah, I don't know, I suspect the club just thinks we're better off having the short term experience, hope that one of those on 1 year deals turns it around, and we'll be able to afford as many draftees as we wanted to bring in, as well as these short contracts like Ronke. We may also rate next years draft better, and may not trade further back into this years - we should have plenty of spots to fill with retirements/delistings.

I am happy for him. It seems like he has had injury issues but kept working hard for an opportunity. In preseason he was always one of the fittest runners.

But I am guessing the club won't rush into anything.
Good news is he will be in the AFL somewhere in 2023 so good on him for toughing it out .

Needs a bump.

We all delisted him but he's showing a renaissance.

Have to keep him. No doubt he's getting offers elsewhere this week.

With Papley it makes things awkward

What do people think here?
We will now have 5 AFL capable smalls.
Papley
Wicks
Ronke
Bell
Sheather
4 of whom will play this year. Sheather has heaps of potential. Maybe one too many. Wicks, Bell and Sheather are NSW boys. Ronke might move on BUT I don't think the club will be looking to lose a lot of players. We may keep all 5.

He has looked so good his two performances this year. If he puts in another performance like these he'll be very close to a new contract. Wild considering how close it looked to him being gone entirely
Terrific to see a young fellow claw his way back and repay the faith shown by the club. Seems well liked by his team mates too. His return to form strengthens us a great deal in that small forward group. He is the only one whose contract expires this year.

We will now have 5 AFL capable smalls.
Papley
Wicks
Ronke
Bell
Sheather
4 of whom will play this year. Sheather has heaps of potential. Maybe one too many. Wicks, Bell and Sheather are NSW boys. Ronke might move on BUT I don't think the club will be looking to lose a lot of players. We may keep all 5.
Sheather may end up being ‘AFL capable’ but he hasn’t proven that as yet. He’s had some decent games in the Reserves but as someone else posted a few days ago, he’s yet to dominate any game at that level or make a pressing case for promotion to the senior side.

Sheather may end up being ‘AFL capable’ but he hasn’t proven that as yet. He’s had some decent games in the Reserves but as someone else posted a few days ago, he’s yet to dominate any game at that level or make a pressing case for promotion to the senior side.
At the end of last year he was basically next man up to make his debut. He has had 3 games after coming off a 12 week injury and has played well in those games. His tackling and pressure are relentless, the kilometres he covers are elite and he is kicking goals. He is a great team player and his efficiency by hand and foot are high. His disposals would increase if he was in the firsts as he is often in good position but does not receive the ball on occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In current form he'd be handy for a few clubs. OOC.
It's only been a couple of good games, and we've seen that from him, before longer stretches of mediocrity, but if he keeps this up most weeks he'll have played himself into a new deal. Hopefully with us as he'll have earned it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back