Past Ben Ronke - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

OeqIVxNL.png

Ben Ronke

Player Profile

Ben Ronke is an exciting Sydney Swans small forward who announced himself to the AFL world when he booted seven goals against Hawthorn in Round 8, 2018 in just his third senior match. The youngster’s MCG blitz saw him become the youngest Swan since 1982 to kick seven goals in a game – and he won an AFL Rising Star nomination in the process. Ronke slotted 24 goals in 2018 but just nine last year, so the Calder Cannons product is determined to recapture dangerous form in 2020.

Ben Ronke

DOB: 18 December 1997
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: St Bernard's (Vic)/Calder U18

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone think there’s more to his omission than just form or structure. I get Papley’s back and they occupy the same kind of position but I just can’t fathom him going from playing well in Rounds 5 and 6 to not even being named in the emergencies 3 rounds later

Anyone think there’s more to his omission than just form or structure. I get Papley’s back and they occupy the same kind of position but I just can’t fathom him going from playing well in Rounds 5 and 6 to not even being named in the emergencies 3 rounds later

Na don’t think it’s that smart to pick a small forward as an emergency.

Campbell- covers backs and mids
Roberts- backs and mids (likely sub)
McClean (tall)

Pretty smart for an away game. Can always cover a small forward

My guess is that we are playing an extra small forward than we usually do in the 22. So made more sense to have McLean as the forward emergency than another small forward. Similarly this week we have Campbell as the defender emergency who is probably more suited to Carlton's smaller forward line than a KPD in the emergencies.

My theory why he lost his spot is that Ronke and Papley were our 2 small forwards (with Gulden now playing more midfield). Papley did not seem to be doing much defensively in his first 2 games. Which meant Ronke had a greater role in providing forward pressure. Then when we struggled in that area, they wanted to see what Wicks/Bell could do.

It will be interesting how we structure our best 22. Whether we keep using 2 small pressure forwards in addition to Papley. Or one of them gets replaced by someone in a different role.

Last edited:
My guess is that we are playing an extra small forward than we usually do in the 22. So made more sense to have McLean as the forward emergency than another small forward. Similarly this week we have Campbell as the defender emergency who is probably more suited to Carlton's smaller forward line than a KPD in the emergencies.

My theory why he lost his spot is that Ronke and Papley were our 2 small forwards (with Gulden now playing more midfield). Papley did not seem to be doing much defensively in his first 2 games. Which meant Ronke had a greater role in providing forward pressure. Then when we struggled in that area, they wanted to see what Wicks/Bell could do.

It will be interesting how we structure our best 22. Whether we keep using 2 small pressure forwards in addition to Papley. Or one of them gets replaced by someone in a different role.
Excellent post. Bang on the money.
Against the Bombers our forward 6 lineup at centre bounce was mostly:
Bell Hayward Wicks
Papley Buddy
Logan
Or a variant on that.
I think we were expecting to get the ball over that half forward line from a clearance quite often and have them preventing an exit if we didn't secure possession. Quite clever I thought. I expected Wicks to play further forward but he didn't (mostly). So our deep forwards were mostly one on one with the smalls running towards goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of me will always wonder what could've been for Ronke if he didn't realise his peak so incredibly and unexpectedly early in his career. We'll never really know and I could be completely miles off here. It just seemed like his development was tracking so positively, from his initial apprenticeship in the reserves, to a promising senior debut. He was obviously doing so much right. It's hard to know how seeing all of that come together for you so spectacularly in just your third game could throw a curveball that changes the trajectory of and your mentality towards your development.

Wish him the best.

Part of me will always wonder what could've been for Ronke if he didn't realise his peak so incredibly and unexpectedly early in his career. We'll never really know and I could be completely miles off here. It just seemed like his development was tracking so positively, from his initial apprenticeship in the reserves, to a promising senior debut. He was obviously doing so much right. It's hard to know how seeing all of that come together for you so spectacularly in just your third game could throw a curveball that changes the trajectory of and your mentality towards your development.

Wish him the best.
He did have a bad run of injuries, but had struggled with form before that, couldn't get back to some of his earlier games.

One of our better VFL finals performers, but we had to make a call eventually. Hope he gets picked up, or has a good state level career.

AFL careers shouldn’t just be measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away. 7 goals v the Hawks - how many small forwards can lay claim to that !

AFL careers shouldn’t just be measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away. 7 goals v the Hawks - how many small forwards can lay claim to that !

Kicked five in another iirc.

Don’t forget the 10 tackles!

Pretty sure he is the only player ever to get that many goals in a game and record 10 or more tackles. Can’t see many joining him on that list!

Was a freak performance that will make for a great trivia question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back