Preview Best 22, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad idea. Think we could get him?

If Hunt could learn to slow his run just bit before he kicks then he would be a lock in the best 22.

Can hope Hunt gets better, but he hasn't been in the 22 for a while now, so would need a large leap in development. Ditto Stretch.

Polec and Gaff would go a long way towards solving our problems, but we're more likely to be dipping into the draft and the bargain bin unless we're giving up a decent player.

FB: Jetta, McDonald, Lever
HB: Salem, Frost, Hibberd
C: Hogan, Brayshaw, Fritsch
HF: Petracca, Weideman, Melksham
FF: Kent, McDonald, Spargo
R: Gawn, Oliver, Viney
IC: Jones, Harmes, Hunt, ANB

If by some miracle we land May, then he comes in for Frost.

We really need Hunt and one of Stretch/Baker to cement a position in the team on a HBF/Wing

Even though Garlett is absolutely toast, It'd be great if he could recapture some form/the more likely scenario is we trade for one of Richmond's small forwards who isn't getting a game: Stengle/Butler

Fritsch back to a HFF

The impact of Jeffy losing form after a 42 goal season can't be overstated. Would be grand if he came back in form next season. He's had dips like this before.

At the end of the day it was our contested ball winning and cleanliness in the guts which cost us most yesterday - which is meant to be our greatest asset. It’s also an area where we have a lot of improvement left in us though, given the blokes who are best at it for us are still young.

The impact of Jeffy losing form after a 42 goal season can't be overstated. Would be grand if he came back in form next season. He's had dips like this before.

Yes. His last dip involved him leaving Carlton.

Besides some outside speed and class, we need Petty to develop as fast as possible IMO. Our defensive talls are too makeshift and Lever is a different type of role. OMac played his heart out this year but the lack of strong conventional tall defenders hurt us.

Jetta is not getting any younger either. Contingency required there.

Gawn needs support also, lest we run him into the ground.

Besides some outside speed and class, we need Petty to develop as fast as possible IMO. Our defensive talls are too makeshift and Lever is a different type of role. OMac played his heart out this year but the lack of strong conventional tall defenders hurt us.

Jetta is not getting any younger either. Contingency required there.

Gawn needs support also, lest we run him into the ground.

Was going to write about Petty looking like a mediumish tall defender to me, except I just read he's 197 cm. Footywire also says he's 83 kg, so at that size, he's going to need a lot of preseasons in the gym to take on a key forward.

Are you sure Jetta isn't getting any younger? What if he is? You're worrying over nothing.

Eh, don't need a ruckman.

Lever probably doesn’t play until mid season next year, so plenty of time for Frost to continue to develop in his current capacity
Is there any info of when Lever will be right to play? I was trying to look it up today but couldn’t find anything

Can hope Hunt gets better, but he hasn't been in the 22 for a while now, so would need a large leap in development. Ditto Stretch.

Polec and Gaff would go a long way towards solving our problems, but we're more likely to be dipping into the draft and the bargain bin unless we're giving up a decent player.

Curious as to why that is. He played 19 and 22 games in 2016 and 2017, but only 6 games this year? What happened?

Curious as to why that is. He played 19 and 22 games in 2016 and 2017, but only 6 games this year? What happened?

Found it hard to find the ball, poor kicking when he did and the fact we also have Salem, Hibberd and Jetta in the back line. Defensively I didn't think he was too bad, but I know plenty of others here don't rate him. Plus, Jordan Lewis had to be forced in somewhere, so it ended up being as a defender. Overtaken by the likes of J.Smith and Wagner, too, so fair to say he's got plenty of work to do to get back in the side.

he also didn't come back in the best of condition after the break. then got a series of injuries that has left his confidence and form at a pretty low level. just seems to lack that dash and aggression at the ball and man like he used to. which he really needs, because he's not the most skilled player going around. it remains to be seen whether he has the ticker to pull himself out of the hole he's in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best 22, My opinion
FB: N Jetta, OMac, Hibberd
HB: J Hunt, S Frost, J Lever
C: C Salem, J Harmes, A Neal-Bullen
HF: C Petracca, J Hogan, J Melksham
FF: C Spargo, TMac, N Jones
Ruc: M Gawn, J Viney, C Oliver
Int: S Weideman, B Fritsch, A vandenBerg, D Kent

I would start the season with this team

Hibberd Oscar Jetta
Salem Frost J.Smith
Fritsch Harmes Brayshaw
Melksham Hogan Petracca
Spargo TMac ANB

Gawn, Viney, Oliver

Jones, Weideman, Baker, Johnstone

i'd be losing Lewis and Tyson because they aren't really offering much. both are too slow and are playing in positions that dont really suit and which I think are actually making us vulnerable against the better teams. I would like to have a look at some fresh blood in Baker and Johnstone for some more speed into the midfield and defence.
AVB misses out due to Hogans return. I suspect at times next year Hogan will play a similar role to what AVB has been doing on the wing lately. get him into a more 1 on 1 position upfield where he can beat his opponent with physical strength.
Hannan out also. would rather see Fritsch fill his spot fwd if need be.
Lever to replace Frost when he's ready to return from injury.

Eh, don't need a ruckman.
Admittedly I'm not on top of how good our back up rucks are but I suspect they are pretty green. Not a great situation to be in.

Admittedly I'm not on top of how good our back up rucks are but I suspect they are pretty green. Not a great situation to be in.

Don't need ruckmen. Useless critters.

I would start the season with this team

Hibberd Oscar Jetta
Salem Frost J.Smith
Fritsch Harmes Brayshaw
Melksham Hogan Petracca
Spargo TMac ANB

Gawn, Viney, Oliver

Jones, Weideman, Baker, Johnstone

i'd be losing Lewis and Tyson because they aren't really offering much. both are too slow and are playing in positions that dont really suit and which I think are actually making us vulnerable against the better teams. I would like to have a look at some fresh blood in Baker and Johnstone for some more speed into the midfield and defence.
AVB misses out due to Hogans return. I suspect at times next year Hogan will play a similar role to what AVB has been doing on the wing lately. get him into a more 1 on 1 position upfield where he can beat his opponent with physical strength.
Hannan out also. would rather see Fritsch fill his spot fwd if need be.
Lever to replace Frost when he's ready to return from injury.
I’m not even sure where to start. Other than thank * you’re not part of the match committee

better still why don't you put your own team up for scrutiny instead of taking pot shots at others.
One post wast enough chief?

You named two completely untireied fringe VFL senior players in place of a 4 time premership player with +300 games experience who was one of our best during our first finals campaign in over a decade. Lewis (and Nate Jones) will Palmer a lot of footy next year.

You’re also playing them ahead of Stretch, Hunt, Hannan, AvB and Tyson (who needs to play as an inside mid or GTFO). Plus JKH, Bugg, Wags and Jeffy who are all not best 22, but are way better.

The side will be as selected on the weekend, with Hogan and Fritta in and Tyson and Smith out. Lever takes Frost’s spot as you suggest when he returns.

well what part of I want to blood 2 players didn't you understand? im bringing in a true outside mid in Baker for an inside one that's been playing and failing as an outside one in Tyson. I cant find an inside spot for him, so like you said he's GTFO. I didn't include Stretch because of his nasty foot injury, so who knows when he'll be right.
also Lewis is done mate. i cant see the point in continuing with him when he'll be gone at the end of the year anyway. thats why i want to have a look at another kid in Johnstone. who has also been in better form than Hunt imo. we don't have a lot of options for small defenders.
AVB loses out to Hogan like i said.
Bugg, Hannan, JKH, Wags, Jeffy have all been well tried and I don't really like, you said yourself they're not best 22, so why not have a look at some kids instead and try to find some?
its all well and good saying these blokes are better than X and Y but when you actually try to put it down on paper and try to pick a balanced team it doesn't work like that. you end up having guys playing roles they cant deliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back