Prediction Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Anderson and Rowell if not injured playing round one. Florin and Powell in danger of missing out due to interrupted pre season. Holman most probably coming in later too with his back problem.

My smokie for surprise selection for round one Jye Farrar.

Last edited:
Not even gonna pretend that this isn't SC related. Looking at Rowell, Anderson (mid), Flanders and Rankine in the side. How likely are they going to get plenty of game time?
My read is that Rowell, Anderson & Rankine will play seniors virtually every game. Rowell will get more of the ball, so probably better for SC. Flanders is probably good enough too, but it will depend on how many debutants the coach wants in the side. If 1 of those other 3 is out injured, I reckon Flanders would take their spot, but there's a good chance all 4 will play.

There is a lot of competition for spots 16-22 in the team

My top 14 who will play every week if fit.
Witts, Swallow, Fiorini, Bowes, Harbrow, Greenwood, Thompson, Lukosius, King, Rankine, Weller, Ellis, Sexton, Ainsworth

+ probably 2 of Collins, Hombsch, Ballard
+ probably 1 of Wright / Day
= 5 spots remaining between the following 13 players.

Macpherson, Brodie, Miller, Miles, Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Powell, Holman, Hanley, Joyce, Lemmens, Murdoch
Positional reserves: 1 of the KPF and 1 of the KPD.
Next tier could also conceivably push up and play a few games as well: Riordan, MClennan, Corey Ellis, Sharp, Burgess, Corbett

Not so sure Fat Pizza how you can be so confident that Rowell and in particular Anderson play virtually every game.

As you said, Dew won't want the team to be super young - from my first choice team:
Ranking (0), King (14), Lukosius (21), Collins (23), Ballard (32), Rowell (0), Brodie (19), Powell (20) as players <30 games
Fiorini (47), Bowes (42), Ainsworth (41), Greenwood (51), Macpherson (39), Wright (66) <60 games
Swallow (139), Witts (103), Thompson (102), Weller (86), Sexton (119), Miller (100) <150 games
Harbrow (245), Ellis (176) >150 games

I don't think you'd want to make that any younger necessarily. Swapping Anderson for Powell / Brodie wouldn't impact too much though.

My prediction is 20 games for Rowell, 14 games for Anderson, 8 games Flanders, 0 games Sharp

Last edited:

Anderson and Rowell if not injured playing round one. Florin and Powell in danger of missing out due to interrupted pre season. Holman most probably coming in later too with his back problem.

My smokie for surprise selection for round one Jye Farrar.

Coming from a long way back.
Beyond the 40th player on the depth chart.

Coming from a long way back.
Beyond the 40th player on the depth chart.
That's the reason I called it smokie, everything need to be perfect for him to get in. He is HB, Wing and 190cm tall.
Slim debut chances but Brisbane top 4 finish last year and Eagles premiership show that long way back is still possible.

Last edited:
That's the reason I called it smokie, everything need to be perfect for him to get in. He is HB, Wing and 190cm tall.
Slim debut chances but Brisbane top 4 finish last year and Eagles premiership show that long way back is still possible.
I’m not sure comparing two teams to an individual player is an apt comparison.

I would say there would have to be an absolute disaster, like a natural disaster with half the team swept away for him to get in.

I would say there would have to be an absolute disaster, like a natural disaster with half the team swept away for him to get in.
No disaster Joyce could be easily replace in my opinion.
* I am looking at the next Saad, Tim Kelly.

Last edited:
You reckon Joyce will be in the best 22?

Jy doesn't play back pocket anyway.
Jy play HB/wing , I reckon there won't be best 22 in 2020 due to Henley and habrow age, there will be some transition management. Instead of waiting for injuries to happen, manage players load is the best way not to end up like last year.

Best 18 with the other 4 spots up for grab.
Rowell and Anderson nearly lock for the two spot, left two spot for other to prove their worth.

Last edited:
Not so sure Fat Pizza how you can be so confident that Rowell and in particular Anderson play virtually every game.
I haven't seen them train or play live, only online, but they look pretty good to me. Good size, competitive, with an appetite to improve in any way they can. I doubt they will play any NEAFL, unless coming back from injury. Rowell is ahead of Anderson at this stage, but I think we have room in our 22 for both. We did finish last in 2019, so there are positions available.

I haven't seen them train or play live, only online, but they look pretty good to me. Good size, competitive, with an appetite to improve in any way they can. I doubt they will play any NEAFL, unless coming back from injury. Rowell is ahead of Anderson at this stage, but I think we have room in our 22 for both. We did finish last in 2019, so there are positions available.
Yeah,
Definitely think there will be room for them over the course of the year.
If you are calling both Rowell and Anderson best 22 then you are choosing not to play Powell or Macpherson or Miller or Brodie.
Can only fit 22 players in the best 22!

Question is how many players 20 and under can we afford to play round 1. Especially when we need to win asap to boost team confidence. Players need to believe that we are good enough. So I think we go with the best team possible, giving us the best chance to win round 1. We will already play King, Lukosius, Rankine, Ballard and Powell is the possibility. I doubt we will see more than two from Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Sharp to debut. I expect probably only one - Rowell. The second one would be for me Flanders. He actually dominated Rowell and Anderson in one of the games last year.

Agree, when people talk about playing draftees somebody has to miss out. The last year we had arguably the worst injury list. Right now we got some healthy competition and depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team at the start of the season are less fit and a bit of unknown, in my opinion is better to play kids early and let Murdoch, miles, Holman, Powell type come in later. Every year GCS under Dew win a few games early in the season and when senior players or the so called best 22 injured, new draftees take time to get into AFL speed and gelling, thus the whole team can't win after mid season.. GWS willing to suffer heavy losses and let their core kids grown as a team. Getting early win is important but I rather the team win some game after mid season. Something is wrong if you can't win a single game after mid season.

* Port playing rozee, dursma and butters shows that age is not a problem.

Last edited:
Yeah,
Definitely think there will be room for them over the course of the year.
If you are calling both Rowell and Anderson best 22 then you are choosing not to play Powell or Macpherson or Miller or Brodie.
Can only fit 22 players in the best 22!
I do have both Rowell & Anderson in our best 22 over the course of the 2020 season. It is just a prediction & Anderson was one of the last players I picked. He may not play from round 1 or may have limited time on ground, but he seems to be in the thick of it in the clips I've seen of training. He seems like a smart player. Powell was just outside my best 22, because he's coming back from injury. I hope he comes back strongly, because I thought he was terrific in 2019 when he was fit. On that 2019 form, he is best 22. I have Brodie a little further behind Powell, because he has a few flaws he needs to iron out. He has some weapons too. Again the clips I've seen from training have been very encouraging. Miller is in my 22. MacPherson isn't, but I expect him to play because he tries so hard & we never have our best 22 available anyway.

I do have both Rowell & Anderson in our best 22 over the course of the 2020 season. It is just a prediction & Anderson was one of the last players I picked. He may not play from round 1 or may have limited time on ground, but he seems to be in the thick of it in the clips I've seen of training. He seems like a smart player. Powell was just outside my best 22, because he's coming back from injury. I hope he comes back strongly, because I thought he was terrific in 2019 when he was fit. On that 2019 form, he is best 22. I have Brodie a little further behind Powell, because he has a few flaws he needs to iron out. He has some weapons too. Again the clips I've seen from training have been very encouraging. Miller is in my 22. MacPherson isn't, but I expect him to play because he tries so hard & we never have our best 22 available anyway.
I get where you at, the chemistry between Rowell and Anderson are already there and if Dew want to manage them, Miles, Burgess, Corbett, days, lemman, Rosa, sharp etc are ready to come in, a young team like GCS with two players (Henley and Habrow) near the end should not have a fixed best 22 but a flexible one this year.

I think when it comes to us at the moment talent will outweigh experience. Yes we might get beaten more with the younger kids but they aren’t going to learn much in the NEAFL. If they are good enough play them. Luko played all year, Rankine would of. King took his time but played fantastic after he got into the team. I feel like this years crop will be similar, Rowell and Anderson should play all year. Rowell will be straight into our starting midfield he is that good, Anderson can play forward/rotational midfield. Think DeGeoy early on and you have Anderson, and I expect Flanders to break into the team last half of the year. I’d rather get the games into the boys now and get them up and going. We know it’s not going to be pretty but we need to look towards the next few years and the more experience our elite talented youth can get the better

Another GC recruiters error in drafting Jy then ? Should draft his previous teammates.

Look like people still bitter that GCS drafted Farrar instead of academy player Gore. Jy is 24 years old not project player like Heron, Dawson if he can't break into 22 early, drafting him is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Good luck this year GC fans, hopefully the latest run of luck retaining high drafted players is the start of something big for the club. Next 3 years you will have a very elite outfit. Hope you fans get your banter game up to scratch

Good luck this year GC fans, hopefully the latest run of luck retaining high drafted players is the start of something big for the club. Next 3 years you will have a very elite outfit. Hope you fans get your banter game up to scratch
Hopefully win aganst Port with your good luck at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back