Remove this Banner Ad

Newman Weitering Kemp
Plowman McGovern Saad
Cerra Curnow Walsh
Pittonet Cripps Kennedy
Fisher Curnow Silvagni
Owies McKay Honey

Williams Dow Martin Hewett
Has anyone attended training and seen McGovern actually training with the defenders?

The move makes sense given our only healthy alternative is beanpole Young, but if the coaches haven't trialled it in training, I can't see it happening.

Has anyone attended training and seen McGovern actually training with the defenders?

The move makes sense given our only healthy alternative is beanpole Young, but if the coaches haven't trialled it in training, I can't see it happening.
Played as a defender for the entire match sim at last weeks open training so presumably has been training there. Would be surprised if he doesn't start there. Won't be a replacement for Jones as he is playing 3rd tall so I suspect he will play alongside Young.

Who would play the lockdown defender role then?
Plowmen doesn't lock down so not sure why people think he does
Id rather anyone else than him
I can 100% guarantee he wont be in our team when we are playing finals or competing for a premiership
Also go back over the last couple of yrs and look at the players that score against us and its the small to medium forwards that get hold of us Weitering and Jones are the only defenders that genuinely lock down

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can 100% guarantee he wont be in our team when we are playing finals or competing for a premiership
Also go back over the last couple of yrs and look at the players that score against us and its the small to medium forwards that get hold of us Weitering and Jones are the only defenders that genuinely lock down
So what about Plowman?

I’m not his biggest fan, but f*** me… Walters, Papley, etc

It’s like you don’t watch the game and purely succumb to what is being yelled by some people around you.

So what about Plowman?

I’m not his biggest fan, but f*** me… Walters, Papley, etc

It’s like you don’t watch the game and purely succumb to what is being yelled by some people around you.
Maybe its you that should watch the games mate because if you did you would see how
Bad he is
Im not the only one that thinks it
Numerous ex players call him out to

Newman Weitering Kemp
Plowman McGovern Saad
Cerra Curnow Walsh
Pittonet Cripps Kennedy
Fisher Curnow Silvagni
Owies McKay Honey

Williams Dow Martin Hewett
It's a good crack at it RM. That looks v close to the mark for mine. I like it. No obv changes jump out at me

He gets the toughest matchup, some will get hold of him. Offers flexibility to release others.

Plowman got owned by the magpies last year, Yes. But the vast majority of the time he gets the toughest match up and beats his opponent.
Hes made Papley and Walters look second rate on multiple occasions.

The nature of Plowmans role is of he is beaten, it is in an area of the ground that results in a scoring chance.

Midfielders get beaten far more often than plowman does, but the area of the ground doesn't make it as obvious.

Plowman got owned by the magpies last year, Yes. But the vast majority of the time he gets the toughest match up and beats his opponent.

The nature of Plowmans role is of he is beaten, it is in an area of the ground that results in a scoring chance.

Midfielders get beaten far more often than plowman does, but the area of the ground doesn't make it as obvious.
I reckon he's wasted as a Backman.

I'd try him as a wingman.

He has defensive aspects to his game. Is generally a good kick and has a good tank.

Would hold his own in one on ones against most wingmen.

I’m not sure he has really owned Papley. He had a poor game in 2020 but has been very good against us in all other games.
His job is to lock down and very little else so that’s what he will be judged on. I just don’t understand people putting players in ahead of him who they most likely do t want to be playing a lock down role on small forwards. He is the best we have in that role.

Plowman isn't getting dropped anytime soon no matter what the haters think of him.
Never say never. New coaching group, plenty of quality players jostling for a spot over the season. Third tall options McGovern, Marchbank and Kemp the forerunners for third tall roles with Plowman. Docherty, Williams, Saad, Newman, Stocker the other candidates for small/medium defenders, with the possibility of Boyd entering the discussion and Williamson still in the mix.

Plow is a hybrid type who offers good value, but for mine is not a lay down misere given structures may be revamped. Does he hold a third tall spot ahead of McGovern, peak Marchbank or a developing Kemp? Where does he sit with a fit Doc or Stock,, in addition to walk up Saad and Williams or Newman? We(and most teams) play seven defenders, is he a lock? Versatility doesn’t guarantee selection. If Boyd steps up in a lock down role with superior disposal and more agility does it take away that edge Plow has for a gig?

We have an all new match committee, take nothing for granted…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back