B: Geary Joyce McKenzie

HB: Hind Carlisle Roberton

C: Hannebery Steele Webster

HF: Billings Bruce Long

F: Membrey McCartin Gresham

Foll: Longer Steven Ross

Int: Clark Coffield Acres Battle

Bruce to ruck 5 minutes a 1/4.

Steele, Steven, Ross, Hannebery, Clark, Coffield, Gresham, Acres, Billings & Long through the midfield.

Well done Pebblessofsand. With Brown suspended, Carlisle and Austin uncertain through injury, and Joyce doing well in the pre=season, I thought he was a natural for full back. You are the only one who has selected him.

I would like to see the following;

B. Geary Austin Mckenzie
HB. Roberton Carlisle Hind
C. Ross hanna Webster
Hf. Parker Bruce Kent
F. Long McCartin Membrey
Fol. Longer Steele Steven

Int. Gresh, Billings, Sinclair, Acres.

Missing: Brown (sus).

Unlucky/not sure who to leave out;
Clarke, Coffield, Battle, Marshall, Lonie.
Although I’d love to see them developed I think they need to earn their spot.

I would like to see the following;

B. Geary Austin Mckenzie
HB. Roberton Carlisle Hind
C. Ross hanna Webster
Hf. Parker Bruce Kent
F. Long McCartin Membrey
Fol. Longer Steele Steven

Int. Gresh, Billings, Sinclair, Acres.

Missing: Brown (sus).

Unlucky/not sure who to leave out;
Clarke, Coffield, Battle, Marshall, Lonie.
Although I’d love to see them developed I think they need to earn their spot.

But you have Hind and Parker in your squad.
All of the players you listed have probably shown as much in State league footy as Hind and Parker

Who’s everyone’s smokie for selection? Battle to come in as a back man for Carlisle (inj) & Brown (susp)?

Lonie finished off 2018 as good as any but what’s people’s thoughts on him fitting into the 22? I can’t help but feel he’s still on the outer & Richo & co may favour a bigger & stronger body like Kent.

I’m my view there’s at least half a dozen spots up for grabs. The other 16 or so pick themselves.

I'll say it again, if Lonie doesn't start round 1 there's something seriously wrong. He was clearly in our top performed players in the last say month and a half. I understand that things can happen during the pre season, but seriously make the other guys earn their spot in the twos. you;ve got to rewards the form from the back end of the last season. As much as I'd love to see Parker and Young etc debut Lonie should be starting as far as I'm concerned and based on his form. It would be so detrimental for Lonie if he wasn't given the no 1 chance as our small forward to start the year. This has already happened to Acres and Sinclair in previous years, really hope Richo has learned.

I'll say it again, if Lonie doesn't start round 1 there's something seriously wrong. He was clearly in our top performed players in the last say month and a half. I understand that things can happen during the pre season, but seriously make the other guys earn their spot in the twos. you;ve got to rewards the form from the back end of the last season. As much as I'd love to see Parker and Young etc debut Lonie should be starting as far as I'm concerned and based on his form. It would be so detrimental for Lonie if he wasn't given the no 1 chance as our small forward to start the year. This has already happened to Acres and Sinclair in previous years, really hope Richo has learned.

Totally. Over last season he averaged as many goals per game as Liam Ryan or Fantasia or Stringer, as well as a goal assist per game.
Over the run of games he had in the tail end of the season ( rounds 19-23 ) he averaged more than 2 per game. If he could do that over the season he'll be one of the top small forwards in the AFL.

If he's a confidence player , we aren't going to fuel that by dripping him to VFL and replacing him with a green guy from the WAFL or SAFL.
Yeah haters gonna hate.....get over yourselves. You need goals to win and Lonie is delivering.

Now if we assume Gresh will be in the midfield, i'd go Kent in the forward line. He's never averaged more than a goal and a half per game in a season, but that's probably better than what we've seen elsewhere.

Long hasn't really scored so much, but he's aggressive and wins possession. I could see him getting the Weller roll.

So then we have Parker and Young.
They will get a game if they perform at VFL. I can't believe that both Long and Kent will play 22 games for the season, and if any of the three aren't performing for some reason, it also opens up a spot.

If the new guys look better at training and perform better in JLT than Lonie, then its back luck for Lonie.
The spots not his because he kicked a few goals late last year - he needs to continually earn it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say there is something wrong if last years form held sway over pre season form this year. Im a Lonie fan and hope he plays but its up to him to prove he deserves a game. By the way it maybe out of Kent and Lonie, not the guys you mentioned.

If the new guys look better at training and perform better in JLT than Lonie, then its back luck for Lonie.
The spots not his because he kicked a few goals late last year - he needs to continually earn it.

I hope Hannebury looks better than Dunstan at training then.
Oh jesus what if Armitage looks better at training than Ross or Steele.

Where's that rolly eye emoticon thing.

I hope Hannebury looks better than Dunstan at training then.
Oh jesus what if Armitage looks better at training than Ross or Steele.

Where's that rolly eye emoticon thing.
Some players have something in the bank. Lonie doesn’t yet and I don’t think anyone suggested replacing lonie with a broken down old player

I would say there is something wrong if last years form held sway over pre season form this year. Im a Lonie fan and hope he plays but its up to him to prove he deserves a game. By the way it maybe out of Kent and Lonie, not the guys you mentioned.
Kent has never ever ever kicked as many goals per game as Lonie did last season.

This is a stupid conversation , its a bit like saying , if Hickey looks better over the pre-season he should be in the team ahead of a fit Naitanui. ( ok extreme example )

Some players have something in the bank. Lonie doesn’t yet and I don’t think anyone suggested replacing lonie with a broken down old player

No you suggested replacing a player who is one of the few we can rely on to kick a goal nearly every game , moreso than Paddy, or Long or Battle, or Kent...and replace him with a noob who has only ever played state level.

Because....we hate Lonie in these parts.

Kent has never ever ever kicked as many goals per game as Lonie did last season.

This is a stupid conversation , its a bit like saying , if Hickey looks better over the pre-season he should be in the team ahead of a fit Naitanui. ( ok extreme example )
No it isn’t. Certain players have a period of good form so they don’t need good pre season form. Lonie was dropped 2 or 3 times year and even though he finished the year off well he needs to start the year well. That’s the life of a fringe player. I’m a lonie fan and not really a Kent fan but if one is to be picked it’s the pre season you go by not the last 5 games last year.

No you suggested replacing a player who is one of the few we can rely on to kick a goal nearly every game , moreso than Paddy, or Long or Battle, or Kent...and replace him with a noob who has only ever played state level.

Because....we hate Lonie in these parts.

Not once did I suggest a state player so that is completely untrue

No it isn’t. Certain players have a period of good form so they don’t need good pre season form. Lonie was dropped 2 or 3 times year and even though he finished the year off well he needs to start the year well. That’s the life of a fringe player. I’m a lonie fan and not really a Kent fan but if one is to be picked it’s the pre season you go by not the last 5 games last year.

There's really not a lot to judge it on training though. Sure if one was training the house down and the other being a lazy campaigner, but if they are both tracking pretty much ok, i'd go on last years form to a large extent.
FWIW i have both Kent and Lonie in front of Long as a small forward.

There's really not a lot to judge it on training though. Sure if one was training the house down and the other being a lazy campaigner, but if they are both tracking pretty much ok, i'd go on last years form to a large extent.
FWIW i have both Kent and Lonie in front of Long as a small forward.
I don’t mean training. I was talking about the practice games against other sides. I certainly believe last years form allows him to play in them and then it’s up to him. If we say last years form gets players a game in round one this year then players might go through the motions and we know how those motions ended up in last seasons pre season form.

I don't think there'll really be much of a change between the 22 this year and last year in terms of what's actually selected but what I'd like to see is this; knowing full well that it won't happen.

FB: Hind Austin White
HB: Roberton Carlisle Webster
C: Sinclair Steele Ross
HF: Billings Membrey Gresham
FF: Lonie Bruce Parker
R: Longer Steven Hannebery
Int: Acres Coffield Clark Marshall

Webster to rotate through wings.
Billings, Gresham, Ross, Sinclair, Acres, Coffield, Clark and even Lonie to rotate through the centre, wings, forward flanks and pockets.
Marshall to sit forward and rotate through ruck. Would be very good to throw off opposition defences by switching the shortest player (Lonie) for the tallest.
No terrible users of the ball like Geary, McKenzie, Dunstan etc etc.

Not a whole lot of rotation for the backline but hopefully we don't need it with such a good offence. Could see an argument for Rice sneaking a bench spot for some rotations though.

Who’s everyone’s smokie for selection? Battle to come in as a back man for Carlisle (inj) & Brown (susp)?

Lonie finished off 2018 as good as any but what’s people’s thoughts on him fitting into the 22? I can’t help but feel he’s still on the outer & Richo & co may favour a bigger & stronger body like Kent.

I’m my view there’s at least half a dozen spots up for grabs. The other 16 or so pick themselves.
I'd go even further than that and say up to a full dozen spots are up for grabs!
We have tremendous depth in most positions and we should not be beholden to any loyalty to a list that performed so miserably last season!
Clean slate is how the coaching group should be seeing the list! Fierce competition for spots can only lift standards!
It's up to every single player on the list to show why they should be selected. Outside of a handful of senior blokes with some runs on the board!

Young, Parker and Hind all play R1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back