Blackhawks, 76ers
FB: Frost O McDonald Jetta
HB: Hibberd T McDonald Hunt
C: Jones Oliver Lewis
HF: Garlett Watts Petracca
FF: Pedersen Hogan Hannan
R: Gawn Viney Tyson

I/C: Melksham Brayshaw ANB Salem

Not getting ahead of myslef with Lever, but if we do get him you could really start switching up the side with TMac going forward etc. Still don't reckon Weideman is anywhere near it.
That 22 will do me nicely.

Absolutely agree with Weid ... he's miles off, but thats ok, we don't need him (and will even less should we get Lever) and we can afford to leave him in the VFL for the next year or two. When he starts dominating down there week in week out, that's when we can give him a go.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
B Jetta O-Mac Salem
HB Hibberd Lever/Frost Jones
C Tyson Viney Petracca
HF Melksham T-Mac Brayshaw
F Garlett Pedersen Harmes/Kent
R Gawn Hunt Oliver
Bench - Lewis ANB Hogan Hannan

Notable changes - No Vince (hopefully delisted), Watts (hopefully traded)

Jones to HB - No room for his lack of midfield pace

Hunt - Need pace in the midfield, this is the best move I think. Why not put it to him to step up?

Petracca - No.2 draft picks should be running out games in the midfield in their 4th season

Kent - hoping he can be fit and in our best 22.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
That 22 will do me nicely.

Absolutely agree with Weid ... he's miles off, but thats ok, we don't need him (and will even less should we get Lever) and we can afford to leave him in the VFL for the next year or two. When he starts dominating down there week in week out, that's when we can give him a go.
He will want out by then mate. He will be in and out next year depending on the form of hogan and pedo.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why are people putting Watts in our best 22? The guy is miles off it. So over Jack Watts and his B grade efforts. It's the kind of reason our club missed out on finals. Just gave 60% when it mattered. Sure so did Gawn, Lewis, Vince etc but the guy has currency and we need to trade him. He got dropped for a pre season game ffs......

Lever is not a big bodied man-on-man key defender. He's a Jeremy-McGovern style crash-n-bash intercept 3rd tall with elite judgement and solid contested marking.

I've seen a few lineups with him and OMac as KPDs and TMac upforward. Nope. Gonna need another KPD down back if TMac is up forward. Whether that is Frost (if he doesn't leave), Pedo, Weideman/Keilty, hypothetical draft pick 46, or even Garland we need someone back there.

The Crows know this too. Even when Hartigan/Talia missed games rather than play Lever as a 2nd tall they opted to blood category b rookie Alex Keath instead.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
B Jetta O-Mac Salem
C Tyson Viney Petracca
R Gawn Hunt Oliver

Hunt - Need pace in the midfield, this is the best move I think. Why not put it to him to step up?

Petracca - No.2 draft picks should be running out games in the midfield in their 4th season

Dustin Martin didn't start running out games until his 5th or 6th season and he never had an ACL

FB: Frost O McDonald Jetta
HB: Hibberd T McDonald Hunt
C: Jones Oliver Lewis
HF: Watts Pedersen Petracca
FF: Garlett Hogan Hannan
R: Gawn Viney Tyson

I/C: Melksham Brayshaw ANB Salem

(EMG: Weideman Vince Harmes)

I have copied this from Gysberts2Bate because I like it. I'd like it more if Frost were replaced with Lever, but let's not do a St Kilda and start compiling best 22s featuring Fyfe and Dusty in the middle.

As others have said, even if we do get Lever I think the club sees him playing alongside both McDonalds (rather than Tom playing forward more often). A fair few times this year Hibberd and Jetta had to punch above their weight playing on talls. To a degree this is inevitable with the attacking structures we often have down back, but having 2 x McDonalds + Lever would reduce that problem and free up Hibberd more often to attack without having to desperately defend against someone bigger than him.

Once again we will probably see Weideman start the season in the AFL despite Pedo being clearly the better option, although hopefully after 2017 they have learnt a lesson in that regard. Happy to make Weid wait, and bang down the door with Casey dominance. He's not far off.

I'm not buying in to the Watts bashing... yeah he was trash for 3 weeks but unless we trade him (which I'm not ruling out) he will not be festering away at Casey next year. Before that hammy he had been a consistent performer and he remains important to our team.

With any luck on the injury front I think Vince should be pushed out of the team for much of the year. He's very close to falling completely off the cliff, as we all saw this year. We would probably get most value out of playing him as a genuine inside mid I reckon (his clearance work is pretty good) but when you've got Viney, Oliver, Tyson and Jones in there to start it's hard to find room for him there. He's a liability in defence and his kicking lacks the penetration to play forward - he's lost the ability to bomb those long goals.

Lewis on the wing is spot on. As I have said previously he really found his spot there in the last 4-6 weeks of the season, standing off the stoppages and distributing/setting up play. He can easily go behind the ball too but I like that role in the midfield for him. Lewis, Salem and Brayshaw would be expected to rotate through those roles I suppose.

B Jetta O-Mac Salem
C Tyson Viney Petracca
R Gawn Hunt Oliver

Finally someone who has remembered that tmac is our CHF not our CHB!

Lever is not a big bodied man-on-man key defender. He's a Jeremy-McGovern style crash-n-bash intercept 3rd tall with elite judgement and solid contested marking.

I've seen a few lineups with him and OMac as KPDs and TMac upforward. Nope. Gonna need another KPD down back if TMac is up forward. Whether that is Frost (if he doesn't leave), Pedo, Weideman/Keilty, hypothetical draft pick 46, or even Garland we need someone back there.

The Crows know this too. Even when Hartigan/Talia missed games rather than play Lever as a 2nd tall they opted to blood category b rookie Alex Keath instead.
neither is tmac though... omac is better, despite still being pretty light.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TMac has no chemistry with Hogan, Trac or Pedersen, and while we have an apparent dearth of KPDs I prefer him at CHB. If we manage to hold Frost and get Lever then we will see.

As a different kind of lineup...what about:

B: Jetta OMac Lever
HB: Hibberd Frost Hunt
C: Lewis Viney Jones
HF: Melksham Pedersen ANB
F: Garlett Hogan Petracca
R: Gawn Oliver TMac
Int: Tyson Brayshaw Salem Hannan

Use TMac as a full-ground utility. Throw him in the guts as a mid, send him forward as a matchup stretcher, use him across the backline as a stopper.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
TMac has no chemistry with Hogan, Trac or Pedersen, and while we have an apparent dearth of KPDs I prefer him at CHB. If we manage to hold Frost and get Lever then we will see.

As a different kind of lineup...what about:

B: Jetta OMac Lever
C: Lewis Viney Jones
HF: Melksham Pedersen ANB
F: Garlett Hogan Petracca
R: Gawn Oliver TMac
Int: Tyson Brayshaw Salem Hannan

Use TMac as a full-ground utility. Throw him in the guts as a mid, send him forward as a matchup stretcher, use him across the backline as a stopper.
That's a pretty good Plan B actually ... TMac's real strength in the ruck was when the ball hit the deck, and he's certainly got the physical attributes to cause plenty of issues.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm pleased nobody is bothering to respond to the halfwits saying Watts is gone. He is a one of a kind player on our list, heart and soul of the club, and while he will never be an AA or Top 3 in the B & F there is nothing to be gained by trading him unless we get a top 10 pick or a gun outside mid who is best 22 for at least the next 5 years

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm loathe to genuinely try to put one of these togetger right now. Too much pitential movement down back and up forward. Where does Tmac play? I like him best as a CHF, not so many hurtful turnovers. But can he squeeze in with Hogan and Pedo?

Hope Frost stays but if he goes it throws our back half into a bit if disarray. Really need him to stay and Lever to come in to properly free up Tmac.

My cop out solution? Stick Tmac on the pine as ruck relief swingman and figure out his position on a weekly match up basis.

B: Jetta OMac Lever/Smith
C: Lewis Petracca Jones
HF: Melksham Pedersen Watts
F: Garlett Hogan Hannan
R: Gawn Oliver Viney
Int: Brayshaw Salem TMac Tyson/ANB

Playing a Frost/Omac/Lever backline means someone needs to shuffle out of the team...and on balance it looks like Tyson or ANB. I would lean towards keeping ANB as he's more versatile but it's an interesting problem to have.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Im a little concerned were going to go into 2018 with an unbalanced list, having to create a gameplan that papers over the cracks. We either need to get to a top 4 midfield, or get a big defender to stop us getting killed by talls.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm pleased nobody is bothering to respond to the halfwits saying Watts is gone. He is a one of a kind player on our list, heart and soul of the club, and while he will never be an AA or Top 3 in the B & F there is nothing to be gained by trading him unless we get a top 10 pick or a gun outside mid who is best 22 for at least the next 5 years
Disagree. His level of urgency is just not there and for a 150+ game player he doesn't impact the game enough. He isn't heart and soul of the club at all, if this club is serious about winning a flag it won't be with keeping Jack Watts. We could definitely get an outside midfielder, I'd be stoked with that. We have plenty of inside midfielders and it's exactly the kind of get we need.

Very disappointed to read that Vince has been offered a one year deal. That means he will be in our starting 22. Not a good start.
Nope. Already on the record that he is happy to play VFL

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Im a little concerned were going to go into 2018 with an unbalanced list, having to create a gameplan that papers over the cracks. We either need to get to a top 4 midfield, or get a big defender to stop us getting killed by talls.
I am interested in why Frost hadn't been played for a while, I don't think it's form to be honest, he was travelling well I thought. Wouldn't be surprised if his departure has to do with the Lever deal.

I reckon OMac will be a lot better next year, so I think our defensive issues will iron out. I reckon we are one decent outside midfielder away, that could actually be Hunt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back