• 45: Tylar Young

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • 46: Ben Miller

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 25 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people don’t rate him that highly but short has been a massive out. Don’t think some realise how important he is. Hopefully he’s back soon
Broady and short add a cool head as we exit D50 , no one could ever underestimate the value in that, even bakes has made some huge blunders on the way out , cool heads get the options right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And people still think that umps haven't reamed us with purpose since the 2017 GF
dissent Last year was ridiculous for us.
I'm glad the umps have slowed down on that.
There is a lot of dumb football from a few of our players.
Drop everyone who gives away a 50?

Might have to change my Avatar :huh:

All of our supposed leaders and experienced guys are being ineffective IMO - leaves the younger brigade floundering.
Nank - out
Grimes - struggling
Jack - was better on Friday but finding it harder to lift
Cotch - wants to impact but no longer can
Lynch - out
Vlastuin - very disappointing
Short - out
Dusty - limited impact from deep in the forward line
Dion - out of form and struggling to gel with the GWS fella's
Broady - out

That's a lot of experienced premiership winners that have all dropped off this year - no surprise we look like shite - sadly....
Add to that an inexplicable amount of poor discipline

Out: Cotch, Riewoldt, Vlastuin
In: Bauer, Ross, Banks

Resting Cotch and Riewoldt with the intention of keeping them fit for the games to follow. Give Short another week so he is fully fit. Vlastuin dropped to find some damn form in the VFL.

Two debutants + Ross + the remainder of youngsters can start fighting it out to keep their spot. Who knows, maybe they pull off a miracle.

Round 7 we welcome back Broad and Short, along with Riewoldt, Vlastuin and Cotch (possibly as sub)
Round 8 Graham possibly returns but only if Ross is out of the side, feel we can’t play both.

After that it is really only Nank and Lynch out of the best 22 so unless Soldo is fit and firing before Nank, we stick with the group we have.

Finish round 8 with 3 wins
Then try to find minimum 4 wins between round 9-14
Have a bye
Need to beat at least one of Sydney or Brisbane
Flog west coast
Bring back Lynch and go undefeated and possibly scrape into the 4.

The good news is 3 other finalists from 2022 have also dropped 3 games, 3 have dropped 2 and only Collingwood have dropped 1. St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon and Adelaide all seem likely to drop more than 6 games.
Full marks for optimism 🤗

Often they don't even show a replay of the howlers. Very different from the recent past when contentious decisions were analysed and commented on.

Seems like an AFL directive to protect the umpires and AFL executives from well deserved criticism.

Major censorship has crept into footy now. Only approved reporters get stories, and commentators/broadcasters have to tow the line.

We may need Elon Musk to buy the AFL to free us from the wokefest.
My son follows rugby union just as much as AFL. He's now an AFL umpire at junior level. Good money for a 16 year-old. Anyway he says the biggest thing with AFL is that there are so many grey areas. In Union there's very few it's all clear cut and the refereeing represents that.

My son follows rugby union just as much as AFL. He's now an AFL umpire at junior level. Good money for a 16 year-old. Anyway he says the biggest thing with AFL is that there are so many grey areas. In Union there's very few it's all clear cut and the refereeing represents that.
Remember when Steve Hocking said that they want to simplify the rule book and shorten it? But then went and added a heap of unnecessary knee-jerk reaction rules based on subjectivity that needlessly complicate everything.

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Maybe, just my opinion. I reckon the assistant coaches had a big influence tactically in a prem years

Maybe ‘s**t’ is a bit strong but I never rated him

Destroyed (lucky they didn’t kick straight) in first quarter of 2019 QF v Lions and come back to win. 20-points down in 2019 PF and come back to win. 20-points down in 2020 GF and come back to win. S**t matchday coaches aren’t able to swing the momentum of games against that years best teams. Chris Scott is renowned as one of the best matchday coaches - haven’t seen too many Chris Scott coached teams change their momentum of finals they’ve played in to come back and win.

And I do chuckle at the ‘Why doesn’t Dimma tag?’ narrative. That general mindset of concentrating on our own system has netted 3 x flags. Demons don’t tag and they won 2021. Cats don’t tag and they won 2022. Who are the teams that have regularly tagged in modern footy?

GWS with DeBoer
Hawks with Maginness
GC with Miller / Rowell
Freo with Crowley
Carlton with Curnow

Not even sure who else does it regularly? But I am sure the Premiership teams don’t generally tag so I’m happy we don’t pull that lever for what might be one-off games at the expense of developing a flag winning system.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And people still think that umps haven't reamed us with purpose since the 2017 GF

yet they still come at us. whately wants bolton cited, yet is quite on dangerflog kicking out.

Destroyed (lucky they didn’t kick straight) in first quarter of 2019 QF v Lions and come back to win. 20-points down in 2019 PF and come back to win. 20-points down in 2020 GF and come back to win. S**t matchday coaches aren’t able to swing the momentum of games against that years best teams. Chris Scott is renowned as one of the best matchday coaches - haven’t seen too many Chris Scott coached teams change their momentum of finals they’ve played in to come back and win.

And I do chuckle at the ‘Why doesn’t Dimma tag?’ narrative. That general mindset of concentrating on our own system has netted 3 x flags. Demons don’t tag and they won 2021. Cats don’t tag and they won 2022. Who are the teams that have regularly tagged in modern footy?

GWS with DeBoer
Hawks with Maginness
GC with Miller / Rowell
Freo with Crowley
Carlton with Curnow

Not even sure who else does it regularly? But I am sure the Premiership teams don’t generally tag so I’m happy we don’t pull that lever for what might be one-off games at the expense of developing a flag winning system.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Tagging is also interesting to think about when we think about how we generate most of our scores (from turnover) so our gameplan is almost built around not tagging it’s built around pressure and forcing the opponent to make a mistake and using that mistake to counter attack while the players are out of position and using that confusion to generate a scoring opportunity

That usually involves those “running in waves” that we see and hear about with a couple of our players ready for the quick rebound but if we are running a tag we lose one of our runners because they need to stay on the defensive side of the man they are assigned to and not running off them

Tagging is also interesting to think about when we think about how we generate most of our scores (from turnover) so our gameplan is almost built around not tagging it’s built around pressure and forcing the opponent to make a mistake and using that mistake to counter attack while the players are out of position and using that confusion to generate a scoring opportunity

That usually involves those “running in waves” that we see and hear about with a couple of our players ready for the quick rebound but if we are running a tag we lose one of our runners because they need to stay on the defensive side of the man they are assigned to and not running off them
Tagging is a thing of the past. 10 years ago when heavyweight commentators like Cornes were at the top of his scragging game, you could just about molest a player and no free kicks were given. Remember Crowley's scratching of Harvey, plenty more examples. The league cracked down on it and we have 4 umpires to catch it. A player only has to tug a jumper or an arm around the contest and it is a free, which is a good thing but makes life very difficult for a tagger.

We will have to go head to head with Melbourne's midfield and shark to Gawn and Grundy in the ruck. Hopefully our mids will be proactive in that respect and right up the clacker of their opponents as opposed to roving to Nank which creates separation from their man. In theory this might make their job a bit easier.

Back