Votes: 13 7.7%
  • 46: Ben Miller

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 25 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

W

I honestly don’t know why people lose any sleep over this. We’ve given up 12, 19 and a F1 for TT and Hopper. Guaranteed and fully developed quality mids just hitting their peak who have 6-8 x seasons left each.
Plus pick 31 last year for Hopper I think. I reckon no one cares if this year is a pick in the teens but a top 5 pick handed over is deflating when it could a Sheezel type

We had no-one down the line to kick to sadly - I envy the teams that can play on from the goal square after a point - gain an extra 10 yards - kick it 55 meters to the wing and then either clunk a mark or at least halve the contest to get a stoppage.

So often our long kick in's are marked by the opposition or it is spoiled back towards their goals where half a dozen mid's are awaiting.... :huh:
Yep, we've had no marking presence on the wing for a long time now. Other teams clunk them all day

In: Short, Bauer, Banks.
Out: Cotchin, MRJ, Mansell

Richmond V Dees

B: Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta, Nick Vlastuin

HB: Jayden Short, Tylar Young, Daniel Rioli

C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Marlion Pickett, Hugo Ralphsmith

HF: Shai Bolton, Jacob Bauer, Tyler Sonsie

F: Noah Cumberland, Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin,

R: Samson Ryan, Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper

IC: Dion Prestia, Sam Banks, Ben Miller, Liam Baker,
SUB: Judson Clarke.

Not much to pick from, basically only other options are Dow and Ross??
MRJ needs to desperately find form in the reserves, with all these 6 day breaks coming up Cotchin can have an actual spell, Mansell was good on the weekend, but overall year has been Meh. Kids like Sonsie, Judson and Banks are the future need to get games into them. Would love to see just how much drive we can get off the HBF with Short and Rioli in tandem. Our kickouts have been a dogs breakfast U9's everyone gets a turn. I'd be giving duties to Balta and Short with the instruction of run your full measure then basically kick it as long as you can to where their ruckmen aint. Give Ralphsmith some freedom to run and Carry on the wing and lets see what he can do without being confined to defending. Pickett would be seething that he's getting singled out as being a weak sniper.

Put him in the guts to tag one of Petracca/ Oliver and if he sharks it himself he brings a bit of speed. Samson to Ruck the entire game with chopouts from Miller and Bauer, maybe he can start taking some grabs as he roams around uncontested to build some confidence (keep him out of FWD line). Bauer gets a chance and can use his defensive skills to nullify May. Also Dan Rioli can take Cossie (apart from when he's mid). I don't wanna see at half time they're 40 points up and Prestia, Hopper and Taranto have been smashed in clearances, whilst Oliver and Petracca have already racked up 25 possies and 5 clearances each. Put some body work on them and make them bloody earn their kicks. Our backline is miles away from our best lineup but realistically their fwd's are pus. Young/ Van Rooyen is a good matchup. Grimes/ Fritch should work. HOPEFULLY we actually have a designated gameplan to cancel out their strengths, better to lose by 5 goals actually trying something than just serving up our cold soggy weetbix regular strategy that will lose against a superior team, especially in the crucial centre clearances.

Richmond V Dees

MRJ needs to desperately find form in the reserves, with all these 6 day breaks coming up Cotchin can have an actual spell, Mansell was good on the weekend, but overall year has been Meh. Kids like Sonsie, Judson and Banks are the future need to get games into them. Would love to see just how much drive we can get off the HBF with Short and Rioli in tandem. Our kickouts have been a dogs breakfast U9's everyone gets a turn. I'd be giving duties to Balta and Short with the instruction of run your full measure then basically kick it as long as you can to where their ruckmen aint. Give Ralphsmith some freedom to run and Carry on the wing and lets see what he can do without being confined to defending. Pickett would be seething that he's getting singled out as being a weak sniper.

Put him in the guts to tag one of Petracca/ Oliver and if he sharks it himself he brings a bit of speed. Samson to Ruck the entire game with chopouts from Miller and Bauer, maybe he can start taking some grabs as he roams around uncontested to build some confidence (keep him out of FWD line). Bauer gets a chance and can use his defensive skills to nullify May. Also Dan Rioli can take Cossie (apart from when he's mid). I don't wanna see at half time they're 40 points up and Prestia, Hopper and Taranto have been smashed in clearances, whilst Oliver and Petracca have already racked up 25 possies and 5 clearances each. Put some body work on them and make them bloody earn their kicks. Our backline is miles away from our best lineup but realistically their fwd's are pus. Young/ Van Rooyen is a good matchup. Grimes/ Fritch should work. HOPEFULLY we actually have a designated gameplan to cancel out their strengths, better to lose by 5 goals actually trying something than just serving up our cold soggy weetbix regular strategy that will lose against a superior team, especially in the crucial centre clearances.
Bauer looked fantastic down back in the VFL. Fearless, taking big grabs and playing aggressively. I reckon if he gets a shot it'll be as a defender. If Grimes gets rested he slots straight in beautifully.

Bauer looked fantastic down back in the VFL. Fearless, taking big grabs and playing aggressively. I reckon if he gets a shot it'll be as a defender. If Grimes gets rested he slots straight in beautifully.
Give him a taste back there before Broad comes back I reckon.

Give him a taste back there before Broad comes back I reckon.
We still can't seem to develop a KPF though. All our recent attempts result in backmen. Really need to target a natural tall marking forward. Bradke is a huge longshot.

Fuxk me don’t tell me we sent a KPF to HBF to learn the game

Destroyed (lucky they didn’t kick straight) in first quarter of 2019 QF v Lions and come back to win. 20-points down in 2019 PF and come back to win. 20-points down in 2020 GF and come back to win. S**t matchday coaches aren’t able to swing the momentum of games against that years best teams. Chris Scott is renowned as one of the best matchday coaches - haven’t seen too many Chris Scott coached teams change their momentum of finals they’ve played in to come back and win.

And I do chuckle at the ‘Why doesn’t Dimma tag?’ narrative. That general mindset of concentrating on our own system has netted 3 x flags. Demons don’t tag and they won 2021. Cats don’t tag and they won 2022. Who are the teams that have regularly tagged in modern footy?

GWS with DeBoer
Hawks with Maginness
GC with Miller / Rowell
Freo with Crowley
Carlton with Curnow

Not even sure who else does it regularly? But I am sure the Premiership teams don’t generally tag so I’m happy we don’t pull that lever for what might be one-off games at the expense of developing a flag winning system.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I believe that you are using an extreme version of the word tag. Most good teams are going to have a run with / tag with Lachie Neale, Cripps, Oliver, Petracca, Touk Libba et al because dropping their possession by as little as half strangles their team offence and confidence.

It amazes me that we rock up v Wobbles game in game out and jest let Metal Arse dictate terms. Psychologically, Metal Arse expects to have a blinder and his team mates grow a massive groinal unit knowing that there's a perfect feed gong to be dished up 8-10 per quarter.

The "Tag" doesn't have to be old school Crowley, holding to single digits. Modern day tag to say Neale could allow him 19 -22 and be very effective because Neale and Brisvegas track for 35 +. The whole Vegas game goes to poop when Lachie only gets 20.

Don't like giving credit to the pussies but they seem to exist ok with tags so why bother.

Tagging Bont is a waste of time and energy.

We did and it actually worked. He looked extremely promising as that aggressive interceptor we're seriously lacking atm.

Hardest position to play IMHO is a key forward. We’re lacking that more than an interceptor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond V Dees

Agree with you on Bauer. See what the kids got. Nothing to lose, much more upside if he clunks a few marks and provides a contest which most definitely he will from what I've seen of him in the VFL. He likes to crack in hard

Only issue I have with Bauer in defence is that when he plays in front, the oppo will clearly infringe on him and for a split second he will appeal for a free but the play still goes on and he looses half a second on his oppo

campaigner should realise by now there's no point appealing for frees in a yellow and black jumper

I also reckon the only reason he is down back is that he's the only AFL listed player over 190cm in the VFL and we have like 4 AFL players playing. So we just send him down back since we're probs gonna get reamed a bunch and he'll be able to get more of the ball. Although we somehow barely lost to carltoon and had many i50s where we'd be kicking to a 1on1 with a blues kpd and a Richmond 150cm player

Agreed. The amount of times Max took a basically uncontested mark down the line was staggering. His opponent needs to be belting into him not meekly standing a metre off him conceding the contest.
Melbourne work hard to stop the switch knowing that Max will win or at least neutralise the long kick down the line. For Miller to compete we need to ball to be kick long and low and for Miller to get to the front of the pack. If we kick it high down the line, we are stuffed

We still can't seem to develop a KPF though. All our recent attempts result in backmen. Really need to target a natural tall marking forward. Bradke is a huge longshot.
I think we persist with Ryan and I don't think we'd play Bauer, riewoldt and Ryan all at once. Plus Bauer can't play 2nd ruck. He's played probably his 2 best games of the season down back and there's a spot there with Broad out. Can always go forward again once gibcus and biggie get back.

I agree, but I'll take a decent intercepting defender from a hail mary rookie pick any day. Would be like catching a golden unicorn trying to find our next power forward in some bush league.

I’d take a Ben Brown right now as much as I hate saying that

Is grimes part of the contingent that will be rested this year? I can't see how else bauer fits into the side as a backman and his form is pretty close to senior selection by the sounds of it

Is grimes part of the contingent that will be rested this year? I can't see how else bauer fits into the side as a backman and his form is pretty close to senior selection by the sounds of it
Honestly Vlastuin isn't far from a stint on the sidelines either the way he's going this year.

Remember when Steve Hocking said that they want to simplify the rule book and shorten it? But then went and added a heap of unnecessary knee-jerk reaction rules based on subjectivity that needlessly complicate everything.

Pepperidge farm remembers.
I suspect that the AFL & SHocking, really wanted to limit the number of free kicks in a game, hoping that that would increase scoring. The rule changes made the rules deliberately less clear and requiring more interpretation. This way the umpires could pay less free while it became harder to say the umpire is right or wrong. Remember when the AFL changed the rule to stop hands in the back. Everyone got used to it and it was clear. Now they change rule back to allowing hands in the back "sometimes".
I actually feel sorry for the umpires trying to umpire a difficult game, with vague rules, and trying to instantly interpret whether a free kick is severe enough to earn a free or mild enough to ignore. It's impossible. The inconsistency annoys the hell out of me, but we should be yelling at the ALF not the umpires. The AFL pretend to support the umpires, but I believe that the AFL is happy to let the umpires cop the fan backlash as long as the scoring is reasonable high and there are plenty of add breaks for the broadcaster.

Back