• 45: Tylar Young

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • 46: Ben Miller

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 25 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Disheartening performance. Every time we got got close, we made stupid mistakes and gifted Swans with a quick reply. Missing too many players and our depth simply cannot cover them. I thought subbing Cotchin robbed us of onfield leadership, Grimes went missing and defensive brain fades from Vlastuin and Balta were unsettling. No leadership at all with the exception of Jack. Coaching was insipid. Even Stevie Wonder knows that if you have a hard defensive role on Tom Pap-Smear, then you are half way to winning a game against the Swans. Bolton showboating is becoming more annoying each week.

Miller was serviceable in the ruck, Hopper was good, Dan Rioli tried his guts out and Jack was our only target - which worries me the most. It is going to be a tough slog with the players out, but Dimma needs to take some responsibility with tonight's coaching performance. Congrats to umpire number 12 for awarding us with more than our annual quota of 2 free kicks a season from him - in one game. Well done.

Just keep giving the kids games until the cavalry arrives and be grateful that we have been the most successful club of the last 6 years. Not sure of the ins and outs, other than combing any of the local leagues for fit players.

I thought he was ok. Hasn’t played full time mid basically ever. He’s working into the quick release game and getting to where the ball is. His running will come more into play as the season goes.
I saw Warner butcher a s**t load

He is literally the player oppositions won't tackle.

Every coach in the league who has seen the last four weeks will be saying "DO NOT TACKLE TARANTO. If he has the ball pressure him and make him kick"

Because he literally can't kick. Prestia has always had that nice 25m outlet and Hopper showed alot of vision tonight. I haven't seen an inkling from Taranto yet. It's really worrying

I’m sick of hearing about our injuries, we literally have like 5 players, at most, that are best 22 out.

We are losing because our players are overthinking everything, which usually means they are being overcoached. Go back to the gameplan from last year that was actually working except the lack of midfield.

They say this is the hardest game to umpire in the world - but I honestly wonder whether this is simply the worst umpired game in the world.

We lost - fair play to Swans - better team on the night.

But this is getting seriously hard to watch. Taranto free against in the first for what? Swans player tackled yet three steps throwing it away in the goal square for a goal. Grimes hit in the face with front on contact but nothing to see here.

I can lose - but when I sit watching repeatedly scratching my head in frustration at abject inconsistency and incompetence - it’s honestly more galling than the result.

I’m honestly more frustrated about the crap shoot that is the umpiring, rather than looking at the actual score. The errors are costly, influential and totally inconsistent with four varying opinions.

Serious question - would we be better with one umpire only on the ground at a time? Hard to get up the ground, but the interpretation would stick.

People will look at free kick counts but it goes beyond that.

I would love to know the difference opposition teams get to move the ball on compared to us as well as how much deviation teams are allowed for moving slightly off their line. I also love to know how many times we get called to play on for 'not 15' for kicks that travel the same distance as other teams who don't get it called.

Disheartening performance. Every time we got got close, we made stupid mistakes and gifted Swans with a quick reply. Missing too many players and our depth simply cannot cover them. I thought subbing Cotchin robbed us of onfield leadership, Grimes went missing and defensive brain fades from Vlastuin and Balta were unsettling. No leadership at all with the exception of Jack. Coaching was insipid. Even Stevie Wonder knows that if you have a hard defensive role on Tom Pap-Smear, then you are half way to winning a game against the Swans. Bolton showboating is becoming more annoying each week.

Miller was serviceable in the ruck, Hopper was good, Dan Rioli tried his guts out and Jack was our only target - which worries me the most. It is going to be a tough slog with the players out, but Dimma needs to take some responsibility with tonight's coaching performance. Congrats to umpire number 12 for awarding us with more than our annual quota of 2 free kicks a season from him - in one game. Well done.

Just keep giving the kids games until the cavalry arrives and be grateful that we have been the most successful club of the last 6 years. Not sure of the ins and outs, other than combing any of the local leagues for fit players.
Great post!
Dimma screwed up the sub, I bet he will never own up to it though.

reckon the whole club has been #eco since the 2020 flag

wouldn't blame them considering rule changes targeting us every year and umps ******* us week after week
shocking robbed us of 2 more flags with the rule changes

the game in general has never looked worse , footy is on its deathbed

Ben miller showed so much promise last year as the second ruck and mobile forward. Seems to have lost all confidence over the preseason.
Grimes looks to have lost the passion since being made cocaptain and vlaustin seems to always be angry and just giving soft frees away in the back 50.

I liked mansell in the first half, seemed to find the right spots finally in the small forward roll. Although Samson struggled to clunk anything tonight I think we’ve definitely got something to work with. Good sign that he was able to get to the right spots. Just couldn’t mark them

Not looking promising for the season yet but we definitely still have a list that can compete. Just need to find that balance and tidy up our basic disposals

Baker was fine tonight imo after a terrible week last week.

The entire defensive group hasn't been the same since Astbury left. I think despite his athletic reputation he was the one who made it all click. Even in the Rance years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is fully over now. Feel that it would be right to have Dimma leave with Cotch and Jack at the end of the year. 3 great servants of the club can ride out into the the sunset.

Sure we had no Short, Lynch, Graham and Broad but they wouldnt have made a difference. We scrubbing kicks, not getting on the right side of the contest. Not even ******* moving at stoppages for some reason and we fail to hit targets or even provide them when going forward.
Dimma deserves the chance to rebuild the club. Unless he doesn't want to.

The club has already been is the process of rebuilding on the run for a few years with inconsistent results.

I'm happy to back them in at this stage.

We aren't that bad a side. The margin blew out towards the end tonight, but we were right n the match, but kept making silly mistakes. Hopefully with more experience into the younger payers that will improve. Similar to the last generation of premiership heroes.

Very disappointing game. Sydney did not play well, but we were putrid, gave away so many goals with poor errors, weak efforts and ill discipline.

Skills are worse than the Terry Wallet days, pressure is well down, game plan doesn’t stack up, discipline is nonexistent and coaches have no answers. The number of basic errors and changers that led to goals tonight was just laughable.

Jack is the only person who can hold his head up. It’s says something when the only player who deserves votes is a 34 year old veteran who is 15 games from retirement.

Most concerning part was how poor our young players were. Ralphsmith & Mansell shouldn’t get a game again, should have cleaned them out with Aarts. Had high hopes for Ryan but he dropped mark after mark, no impact and ran out of puff after 2 quarters. Clarke & Sonsie basically unsighted, no impact.

Was willing to cut Taranto and Hopper some slack but geez Taranto’s disposal is poor. Prestia is well down on last season and Cotchin needs to be dropped, he had no impact.

With Melbourne next week we will have 1 win from the first 6 rounds… season done

Out: Cotchin, Ralphsmith, Ryan
In: Dow, Banks, Bauer
The last thing we do now is drop Ryan.
Yes he dropped marks, but he’ll have a day when they stick and that will build his confidence.
He is our future. One of the few tales we have we can build around.
Not sure where he ends up, forward or ruck, but he is going to take time and needs every game we can get into him to develop.
I saw a lot more future in him with all his errors tonight than I did Miller, who wasn’t the worst either.

You know what annoyed me more than anything else?
We didn't even try and change up our centre bounce stoppage make up.
It was always Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, the "ruckman", and the wingers. With staggered appearances from Bolton.

Why not throw Sonsie in there? What do we lose in that scenario? We were already getting destroyed at centre bounce.
I understand the need to build up the chemistry with our new inclusions but we are in the business of winning games of footy. Taranto and Hopper will be with us for the next seven years.

Why not put Martin in there? I don't need to explain this one.
Why not play Bolton full time mid? He is just so dynamic.

Throwing Balta forward is a nothing move.
Why was Ryan in the backline? He couldn't hold a mark all day.

Changes?
Out: Ryan/Miller, Cotchin
In: Bauer, MRJ

If Miller goes out, Ryan to play full time ruck. He isn't ready to be a key forward.
If Ryan goes out, our midfield needs to learn to read the tap of the opposing ruckman.

Training focus should be recovery then skills all week. Get the bloody hose out at Punt Road and make it a swimming pool and make them practice all forms of skills.
I'm sick of the fumbles.

Good post mate 👍

When I saw Cotchin line up for goal I knew he would miss it when I saw Hugo line up for the last shot on goal I knew he would nearly kick it on the full our goal kicking is atrocious we sometimes can’t even make the distance what’s wrong with them ?

Worst effort I've seen for a while, a weakened Sydney on neutral ground, was expecting better. I thought Soldo was uncoordinated but Ryan's marking attempts trumps him. Ralphsmith to be left in the Reserves, not up to it. Miller lacks desire and has been in the system for a good number of years, he hasn't improved. The on field indiscipline is a real problem and is a cultural issue. One team looked like it was playing with a dry ball, the other team fumbled all night, it simply shows the state of our skill level. What's with all the space offered to Papley and others, and with all the dropped marks. Riewoldt kicking sensationally and Baker the standouts.

Era officially over.

Who would you give a tick to this year?

• Cumbo of course
  • Dan?

Then it gets pretty hard... Hopper has been good. Jack has made the most of his chances. Lynch has been fine. Marlion is solid as a rock. Baker has been better most games. I think Balta has been really good and gets tough treatment. Young also has been outsanding. And then thats about it.

Martin, Prestia, Grimes, Vlastuin, Nank, Bolton have all been way worse than previous seasons.

Ben miller showed so much promise last year as the second ruck and mobile forward. Seems to have lost all confidence over the preseason.
Grimes looks to have lost the passion since being made cocaptain and vlaustin seems to always be angry and just giving soft frees away in the back 50.

I liked mansell in the first half, seemed to find the right spots finally in the small forward roll. Although Samson struggled to clunk anything tonight I think we’ve definitely got something to work with. Good sign that he was able to get to the right spots. Just couldn’t mark them

Not looking promising for the season yet but we definitely still have a list that can compete. Just need to find that balance and tidy up our basic disposals

Vlastuin looks and acts like he doesnt give a ****!!! Publicly said he didnt want the captaincy, always has a shit eating grin on his face after doing some ill disciplined crap, Im so pissed at his attitude, i would drop him! You see him try and get all game face serious later talking to the players, I'd tell him to get stuffed and worry about his own, he isnt a leaders arseh*le!

Dimma deserves the chance to rebuild the club. Unless he doesn't want to.

The club has already been is the process of rebuilding on the run for a few years with inconsistent results.

I'm happy to back them in at this stage.

We aren't that bad a side. The margin blew out towards the end tonight, but we were right n the match, but kept making silly mistakes. Hopefully with more experience into the younger payers that will improve. Similar to the last generation of premiership heroes.
you need new generational talent to rebuild the club properly

The last thing we do now is drop Ryan.
Yes he dropped marks, but he’ll have a day when they stick and that will build his confidence.
He is our future. One of the few tales we have we can build around.
Not sure where he ends up, forward or ruck, but he is going to take time and needs every game we can get into him to develop.
I saw a lot more future in him with all his errors tonight than I did Miller, who wasn’t the worst either.
He was shithouse mate. Miller was better than him in the ruck

Back