Big call, but could Paine make an announcement this week ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Byes count, whilst imperfect, is more instructive of a keeper’s abilities than catches. Caught behinds are mostly driven by how effective a pace battery is at getting batsmen to nick off.
Catches to drops ratio is probably more important than the overall count for that reason too. While I don't regard Paine (or any current keeper) as especially high quality 8:0 is a fair effort. They weren't all straightforward either.
Obviously all these stats are affected by conditions, etc.

Byes count, whilst imperfect, is more instructive of a keeper’s abilities than catches. Caught behinds are mostly driven by how effective a pace battery is at getting batsmen to nick off.

Well thanks for that. You can probably proceed on the basis that most people who post here are already fully aware of this sort of thing.

I was trying to get you to explain what you meant in pointing out a the difference between my implication and your inference.

In simpler terms, are you expecting to find that Paine let through more byes or less (than average)? Your original post implies / infers the former.

You can probably proceed on the basis that most people who post here are already fully aware of this sort of thing.
Apparently not.

In simpler terms, are you expecting to find that Paine let through more byes or less (than average)?
I have no expectations one way or the other.

Your original post implies / infers the former.
It implies nothing. You inferred the former - incorrectly.

I don’t think it’s bad - earlier in this thread I described his glovework as immaculate.

I do appreciate that you may not understand many four syllable words.
I don’t think it’s bad - earlier in this thread I described his glovework as immaculate.

I do appreciate that you may not understand many four syllable words.
You use a lot of big words for someone named after a salad.

That was also shithouse. My point was if Harris had done his job it wouldn't have been left to Lyon to do a Melbourne Stars

Goodness knows why we didn’t sub Bancroft on to field for Harris or what not!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if CA try to force him into an annoucement, though they might wait until the off season. Smith will almost certainly regain the captaincy for Bangladesh.
Really? I'd have thought CA would be incredibly happy with Paine and what he's done. He made a good score in the last test too. He's keeping well. I'd be very reluctant to drop him.

In terms of captaincy succession, I would prefer Smith to never captain again. So, in the scenario that Paine was injured, I'd expect Carey to replace him as a player and Head or Cummins to assume the leadership. Head's ton was very timely in this regard.

Longer term, I suspect CA have anointed Carey as our test captain, but he'll need a year in the side before he assumes the mantle. Then it would all depend on the performance of Head and Cummins.

Why not Head or Cummins long term? I'm warming to Head as a test bat but I'm still not 100% convinced and I think Patterson and Pucovski are better options long term. And I don't think fast bowling captains are a good idea as a permanent thing.

Was about to suggest Loose Bus Change. Seems level headed. Dont know about him tactically though , but at least hes not 35.
It's bad enough that we've got a put your hands in the air for jesus kind of guy running the country, let's not surrender the country completely to these cretins and put one in charge of the Test team as well.

Can't see Paine going anywhere anytime soon. The team is going well, he is going well. He has been given this 2nd opportunity in the Australian team late in his career, he knows he is one finger injury away from the end, why would he retire now. There isn't a huge work load in 2020 for tests. A tour to Bangladesh and India back at home which I would say he would want to win, but of pay back from last summer. Who knows after that.

Can't see Paine going anywhere anytime soon. The team is going well, he is going well. He has been given this 2nd opportunity in the Australian team late in his career, he knows he is one finger injury away from the end, why would he retire now. There isn't a huge work load in 2020 for tests. A tour to Bangladesh and India back at home which I would say he would want to win, but of pay back from last summer. Who knows after that.
Hopefully Pucovski and Fraser-McGurk start banging the door down soon

Catches to drops ratio is probably more important than the overall count for that reason too.

Catches and stumpings to missed chances.

Number of dismissals is pointless in isolation.

Number of byes in test cricket is basically pointless unless your keeper is a complete gimp. I mean 90% of Paine's byes are probably Starc's wides that the umpire doesn't call and the keeper has zero chance with.

Hopefully Pucovski and Fraser-McGurk start banging the door down soon

Way way too early for either of them. Will Pucovski has to prove he can last a season before picking him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back