Spot poll. Should Ussie be allowed to make his 200?

Should Ussie be allowed to make his 200 ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All going well they'll get to actually play tomorrow - I'd be telling the batsmen they've got 30 minutes to pile on the runs, then it's declaration time with the intent of bowling SA out twice having enforced the follow on

If they start on time, i could understand them batting for another 5-10 overs. If they start an hour late, Cummins will have to make the tough, unpopular call and declare the innings closed.

It's not just Khawaja who'll feel inconvenienced by a declaration, Renshaw would love some time in the middle after not playing a test in over 4 years. However, Australia have a test match to win, a clean sweep to secure and an opportunity to qualify for the WTC Final, all of which is more important than any individual achievements.

Just batting on for 200 then declaring right away no not a fan of that but if they feel they need another 50 so they can make a bigger follow on target then thats fine, its a dead track and if they make follow on mark its game over so we may feel we need more runs.

a team ethos can include the celebration of individual achievements, but there will always be a line to draw. ussie didn't do himself any favors, it's not like he could have been unaware play may have to stop when it did.

The only way to make this Test interesting is to just let him keep batting and go for 400+.

Best case scenario of declaring on 195: We roll them twice again, papering over Sydney's s**t pitch and shitter weather. But at least it'd silence the critics who claim the first two victories in the series were a fluke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a big firm NO from me. It's a team game, the only exception IMO would be a guy on 95 chasing his maiden hundred e.g. Cam Green.

It is a firm YES from me. We need to manage our two quality bowlers. Usman could go out first ball and I'd still bat on until we add another 40-50.

The NSP took an experimental approach that indicated they are chill about the result. Cummins and Lyon are our main wicket taking threats against quality bats. Lucky the Saffies lack those.

So who bowls the overs, assuming the weather is ok and the game goes close to distance? Let's also assume a miracle of the Saffies trying to bat time.

I don't want Cummins bowling more than 20 overs a day on D4 and D5.

Unlike Starc, Haze has prioritised the fat table of T20. He has not been a red ball fit, quality bowler for some time. I doubt he is capable of bowling more than 15 overs today and backing up for more of the same tomorrow.

Maybe we grift a few overs from Marnus, Smith and Head.

This still means The GOAT will have a massive workload today and tomorrow - 30 plus overs a day. Our left arm pie chucker may need to trundle 20 overs today and tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, particularly if weather gods smile.

Back