Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have limited currency so expect we'll be only targeting FAs.

Trengrove seems best fit for our current needs (unless brand/kurt etc) have a breakout year. Another gun mid would help - but can't see us getting dusty for a reasonable price (and cultural fit would be a ???). Am sure there's a range of other targets that are under the radar.

I've honestly no idea
We didn't use 1 last year
We don't have 1 this year
We used two the year before and Geelong were allowed to trade this year's, they may have to trade back into the first round but the AFL let them do it so it's possible next year's could be used by Hawks as part of a deal

We used two the year before and Geelong were allowed to trade this year's, they may have to trade back into the first round but the AFL let them do it so it's possible next year's could be used by Hawks as part of a deal

2 x 1st Rounders in Burton and Lovell 2015 draft means we good to go in trading our future 18........

Ps. Unless AFL change rules again

2 x 1st Rounders in Burton and Lovell 2015 draft means we good to go in trading our future 18........

Ps. Unless AFL change rules again
Technically yes but you have to use two every four years, so if we do that we need 2 in 2019 which is risky if other clubs know we need it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick any four year bracket, you've gotta have used two.

Rolling rolling rolling.

That's how I read it, but the only penalty is that cannot trade another first rounder until you have used two.
So this year we could still trade our 2018 pick, but then we would need to use 2019 and 2020.
Or if we traded for another first rounder in 2019 we would be free to trade out 2020, 2021 and 2022 if we wanted to.

Hopper is unattainable.

Come on Abasi.. give me a little bit of time to ride this pony.
You have said yourself that nothing is impossible when we're talking player movement.
May I ask why you think he is unattainable?

You have said yourself that nothing is impossible when we're talking player movement.
We do not have trade currency to get it done, even if he wanted to leave.

Giants are not going to let a gun Academy product go, he will be a priority for them ahead of a Victorian kid that wants to go home.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We do not have trade currency to get it done, even if he wanted to leave.
Giants are not going to let a gun Academy product go, he will be a priority for them ahead of a Victorian kid that wants to go home.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well aren't you two the negative Nancy's.:(

Even if I'm being extremely unrealistic about getting Hopper, Hawks could easily trade into the first round this year to get the ball rolling & from there I suspect a player will be needed.

The Giants are stacked for young talent & can easily cover Hopper with sighning Shiel, Kelly & Matt Kennedy to go with Ward, Congilo,
Green, Scully, Whitfield, Setterfield... Smith, Griffin, Delidio... Taranto.
If anything Hopper is probably the odd man out unless there is a significant forward or defensive side I'm not aware of.
I would class him a full time mid that can have short spells forward, similar to Tom Mitchell. I don't see him displacing Shiel, Ward, Congilo or Kelly to be in the starting group & there is significant cover elsewhere.

I see Hopper as a luxury player that GWS would like to keep.
For the right price ( to put a value to it... pick 12-15 & a good player ) I think the Giants could easily part ways with the young stud that would sit well with our cap space for a number of years.

Granted, but say GWS can only offer him $600-$700k for example and we can trump that a little bit then possibly we'd be in with a shot. Particularly if there is any come-home factor. I know it's unlikely - and I still can't see how we'd satisfy a trade.

Didn't shiel recently re-sign? I think I remember an article stating he re-signed on afl.com

Didn't shiel recently re-sign? I think I remember an article stating he re-signed on afl.com
Not yet, he said he wasn't interested in moving and expected the contract to be sorted but he hasn't signed yet

We do have Wrighty though. Anything can happen.
Except no.

Hopper is a NSW kid. The Giants ain't going to let him go.

Much more chance of landing Shiel, and even he is a long shot unless we're going to trade out a high quality player to do so.

Player + first round pick + 26 picks in the last round = hopper.

Spitballing again but...

Hartung & our second could possibly get us into the first Rd range required. From there it's possible to trade up again or part with a player & that pick (12-15) to secure Hopper.

I apologies for delving to far down the path of BS trade talk.

As Cryptor suggested, with Wrighty anything is possible.

If Hanrahan & Morrison are handy picks, I am fine with entering the draft in the 70s for a couple of kids & upgrade rookies to fill the list if it means we get another gun in Hopper.

It was only a couple of months ago
that the same points were being raised & defended to get O'mera & Mitchell.... that turned out ok!
I don't see any difference in getting Hopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back