BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

OK I am being pushy here Thunderstruck has had enough time .

Pick # 86. West Coast.

Jye Bolton. 183cm 80 kg. Inside Mid. Claremont.

The name may well be known to most as Jye Bolton was on the Collingwood list a few years ago. He was cut and last year played at Werribee.
Over the summer he made the move West to Claremont in the WAFL. Initially ( being a Claremont Member ) I thought it was a bit of a nothing signing.

Uuummmmm I got that wrong. Bolton has been quite sensational for the Tigers this season as a very productive and consistent inside mid who generally uses the ball well. He was selected in the WAFL State Team and and justified his selection by being BOG and winning the Simpson Medal. It might not be the only Medal that he will win this year as I think at the moment he would be leading the Sandover Medal Count and the Claremont B&F would be in the bag.

As I said he has been very consistent and is averaging 28 possessions per game. he last three games have been 37,36 and today 40.
Now we all know that stats on their own can be misleading, having seen him play he is quite impressive. So much so that I think he has earn't a second chance at the next level.

West Coast need inside mids badly and Bolton is a ready made plug in option and I have no doubt that if he is given the chance that he will be a success this time round in the AFL

Brilliant pick up. Go back and have a look at how he landed at the Pies initially. Wonderful story

Sorry it's late but here is the last pick for the crows

Pick 85 - Adelaide - Chris Jansen - Central District 189cm 85kg

Could last till the rookie draft but this bloke has been absolutely dominating yet again this season, for mine is the best midfielder in the SANFL that is not AFL listed like CEY or Grigg.

Strong body, good size, reads the play exceptionally well and racks up enormous numbers, regularly over 30 and sometimes over 35 nearing 40. Disposal is good, he picks good options and executes well by hand or foot. Boasts reasonable clearance numbers but not a dominat inside type. Plays inside but slightly more outside, being a general through the middle and often sits across half back setting up plays and rebounding but also apt at getting forward and kicking some goals. Strong overhead mark for a midfielder and wouldn't be out of place across half back. Only question would be pace which I'd consider average. Defensively could be stronger. But too good to rot in the SANFL and would add even more depth to a solid Adelaide midfield.

Sorry it's late but here is the last pick for the crows

Pick 85 - Adelaide - Chris Jansen - Central District 189cm 85kg

Could last till the rookie draft but this bloke has been absolutely dominating yet again this season, for mine is the best midfielder in the SANFL that is not AFL listed like CEY or Grigg.

Strong body, good size, reads the play exceptionally well and racks up enormous numbers, regularly over 30 and sometimes over 35 nearing 40. Disposal is good, he picks good options and executes well by hand or foot. Boasts reasonable clearance numbers but not a dominat inside type. Plays inside but slightly more outside, being a general through the middle and often sits across half back setting up plays and rebounding but also apt at getting forward and kicking some goals. Strong overhead mark for a midfielder and wouldn't be out of place across half back. Only question would be pace which I'd consider average. Defensively could be stronger. But too good to rot in the SANFL and would add even more depth to a solid Adelaide midfield.
whats his age?

Mr. Irrelevant at Pick 90 - Hawthorn
Michael Gibbons - Williamstown
DOB: 15/5/95, Height: 174cm, Weight: 70kg
Position: Inside Midfielder/Small Forward

Taking the VFL's best player at the last pick of the draft is something i'm very happy with. A former Murray Bushrangers product, Gibbons has overtaken others and by the end of last year was far and away the best player in the VFL. He capped off a brilliant 2015 by winning the Norm Goss Medal for BOG on Grand Final Day which also culminated in a flag win for the Seagulls. Was also by a long distance the best player for the VFL this year against the SANFL where he had 34 disposals and a goal and was awarded the Frank Johnson Medal for Best-On-Ground for the VFL in that loss. Hoping here to re-create the success Richmond have had with taking Kane Lambert and most recently the last few weeks, Adam Marcon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr. Irrelevant at Pick 90 - Hawthorn
Michael Gibbons - Williamstown
DOB: 15/5/95, Height: 174cm, Weight: 70kg
Position: Inside Midfielder/Small Forward

Taking the VFL's best player at the last pick of the draft is something i'm very happy with. A former Murray Bushrangers product, Gibbons has overtaken others and by the end of last year was far and away the best player in the VFL. He capped off a brilliant 2015 by winning the Norm Goss Medal for BOG on Grand Final Day which also culminated in a flag win for the Seagulls. Was also by a long distance the best player for the VFL this year against the SANFL where he had 34 disposals and a goal and was awarded the Frank Johnson Medal for Best-On-Ground for the VFL in that loss. Hoping here to re-create the success Richmond have had with taking Kane Lambert and most recently the last few weeks, Adam Marcon.

Great pick, in the state game, this bloke was clearly the VFL's best. Just a pure footballer who knows where to run.

like the look of brisbanes pick ups in the trial run. i would have went- (selected players who were still available at that selection)

2) Sam Petrevski-Seton.
20) Brandon Parfitt.
28) Zac Fisher.
47) Declan Watson.
56) Elliott Himmelberg.
74) Max Lynch.

Pick 32. West Coast.

Joseph Atley. 186 cm 84 kg. Inside Mid . Bendigo Pioneers.

Atley is one of those players who doesn't have any elite attributes however he doesn't have any weaknesses either.
He plays nothing like his outside brother , Joe is an in and under inside extractor.
Last season The Pioneers played him of a HBF and while he did well at that position he aspired for more midfield duties.
This season his wish has been granted and he has played mostly as a inside mid with an occasional stint in the forward line where he has snagged a few goals. Joe is the Captain of the Pioneers and is quite a personalty contrast on and off the field. Off the field he is modest and a doesn't say a lot however he is very vocal on the field and has quite a competitive streak to him.
Atley has a real attack on the ball and is a head over the ball, coal face worker, the sort of player every Club needs. A lot of what he does may go unnoticed as he is generally the one that dishes the ball out to the outside run and carry types.

He models his game on two current AFL players , namely Ben Cunnington and Luke Parker and I actually think that Cunnington is a good example of how Atley plays and more importantly what he may become.

At 186 and 84 he already has the physique to play the game at the next level, he has the skill set that West Coast need more of and I think at this juncture of the draft he presents good value.

He presents a Coaching Committee with a lot of tools to work with and I see him as a player that will steadily improve and in time become a very good AFL player.
You cant teach hardness to young players they either have it in their DNA or they don't and Atley has it is spades.

Skippos your now up for the Cats.

Sorry to intrude here Monocle but why the early crow on a run of the mill midfielder?

With many players with higher ceilings, was Atley just a good well rounded prospect to good to pass up or is his selection here warranted?

reading between the lines here, he screams a little of Nick O'Kearny who went in the rookie draft to St.Kilda last year.

Great pick, in the state game, this bloke was clearly the VFL's best. Just a pure footballer who knows where to run.

Have him as the Fothergill - Round medalist at this stage of the year, ahead of Matt Hanson (Weribee) and Aaron Heppell (Essendon).

Should be on a list next year as a genuine ball winning midfielder.

Sorry to intrude here Monocle but why the early crow on a run of the mill midfielder?

With many players with higher ceilings, was Atley just a good well rounded prospect to good to pass up or is his selection here warranted?

reading between the lines here, he screams a little of Nick O'Kearny who went in the rookie draft to St.Kilda last year.

Yoda I am pretty happy picking Atley up at this juncture in the draft.
Yes Atley fits a need and also represented IMO good value and his selection is warranted on merit .
I have watched him live and he presents well. At this point in time his inside game is much better than the outside game, however the flaws on the outside game are correctable. His hunger for the contest is a positive facet of his game and thats intrinsic and a real asset.
As LemmingMaster said there are a lot of Jackson Nelson similarities with Atley. So given that I am a big Nelson fan it shouldn't surprise that Atley was also on my radar.

Fisher was on the list to take with this pick, however I just want to see how he goes with the Perth seniors as the rest of the season unfolds.

Its the mock and much changes between now and the real deal.

Yes Atley fits a need and also represented IMO good value and his selection is warranted on merit .
I have watched him live and he presents well. At this point in time his inside game is much better than the outside game, however the flaws on the outside game are correctable. His hunger for the contest is a positive facet of his game and thats intrinsic and a real asset.
As LemmingMaster said there are a lot of Jackson Nelson similarities with Atley. So given that I am a big Nelson fan it shouldn't surprise that Atley was also on my radar.

Fisher was on the list to take with this pick, however I just want to see how he goes with the Perth seniors as the rest of the season unfolds.

Wasn't having a go at you what so ever bud. Definitely one of my more respected posters on the board.

Thanks for the feedback. Would present wonderful value at 37 (Essendon's 3rd round pick) and allow us the ability to go different at 1 & 19.

Thanks for the reply

don't know if its true but i heard fisher is out for the rest of the year after injuring his wrist.

like the look of brisbanes pick ups in the trial run. i would have went- (selected players who were still available at that selection)

2) Sam Petrevski-Seton.
20) Brandon Parfitt.
28) Zac Fisher.
47) Declan Watson.
56) Elliott Himmelberg.
74) Max Lynch.

Great set of players, but my issue would be Brisbane are too small through the midfield as it is, SPS, Parfitt and Fisher won't be helping that. Drew at one of your 20's picks would be better for list balance.

Great set of players, but my issue would be Brisbane are too small through the midfield as it is, SPS, Parfitt and Fisher won't be helping that. Drew at one of your 20's picks would be better for list balance.
Jansen and bell are pretty big,how are they going?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

agree, we need big bodied contested ball beasts as well but i think of greater need is outside class, speed and x-factor. hoping that in the future rhys matheison and jarod jansen could develop into the inside beast role. i did think of drew for the picks 20 and 28 but i love zac fisher, if he was 5-10 cm taller he would have been a top 10 chance IMO.

in the unlikely event that we get a beginning of !st round PP i would be going brodie pick 1 and then whoever is left our of SPS and McGluggage at pick 3 as i see SPS and McG as very even.

Jansen and bell are pretty big,how are they going?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Jansen been promising in a few games. bell injured for a lot of the season, was fair when he played except for 1 or 2 games, i think he was being played out of position, i like him in the outside wing type gut running role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back