BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Write up for Pick 27 - Sam Powell-Pepper

Excellent selection DraftMe I was going to select Allison.

Gold Coast select Sam Powell-Pepper

Write up to follow, but he is a player with too much potential to overlook here.

Pick 27 - Gold Coast - Sam Powell-Pepper

After already having 5 picks inside the top 25, Gold Coast have already had the luxury of grabbing some of the best talent. This allows me to look for a player who has some really damaging tools and some great qualities with the hope that he may be developed into overcoming some of his deficiencies.

Everyone has heard about the great qualities and traits that he has. He is an absolute powerhouse with a great burst of acceleration that allows him to burst out of congestion and also break the lines. At his best he is very damaging and can break a game open as we saw on occasions with WA at the U18 champs. He is a strong mark and is dangerous around goals, which leads me to believe he is at his best presently as a half-forward. These skills on their own lead me to draft him in the hope that if he is developed correctly he has elite potential.

His weaknesses are what has led him to slide and in my view he will slide further on draft day to a late round pick. His kicking is poor, I believe there maybe issues with his ball drop which lead to him inconsistently hitting targets and he directly turns the ball over a lot with clangers. With so much focus presently being on good kicking skills, maintaining possession of the ball and not committing turnovers he does present a problem. I am unsure on what his endurance is like, he has the skills to play through the midfield but rarely does and is not a high possession winner. I think he can be quite a reactionary player and this will present problems but as I said before he is a long term project.

Gold Coast can afford to take the risk with Sam Powell-Pepper who is a high risk/ high reward player. If he turns into a star midfielder like a Dustin Martin (probably a best case scenario) then who ever selects him will look like a genius. Equally he could be a bust given his deficiencies and never make the grade.

St Kilda Pick 46 - Josh Williams (GCS Academy)
Tall Wingman
Hermit Park/Surfers Paradise
189cm, 69kg

Rate this kid in the second round so i am stoked to get him here, a tall wingman/halfback from Townsville who moved down to the Gold Coast at the start of the year to be closer to the Suns academy. Had an excellent division 2 carnival where he displayed his speed. Williams strengths are his speed (which is absolutely blistering, especially for someone at 189cm) and ability to use his run and carry to break lines. throughout his 3 NEAFL games in 2016, Williams has kicked 3 goals showing his ability to hit the scoreboard. During his game for the Allies at Geelong, he got the ball at half back and used his pace to burst through the center of the ground and kick a goal from 50 on the run and it just gave you the vision of him doing that during an AFL game at an AFL ground, extremely impressive. my biggest knock on Williams is his ability to win the contested footy, may be his extremely light frame that is effecting that at the minute. this wont be a concern at the saints with prolific contested ball winners like Dunstan, Ross and Armitage to do the grunt work and let this skinny Queenslander use his speed on the outside.

Others considered at this pick were Villis from SA and Fisher from WA, was always between those 3 players for me at this pick and would have gone back to the drawing board if that didn't eventuate.

Last edited:
Pick 47 - Brisbane

Jamie Hampton

I had Williams all lined up to take here but alas not to be. So Hampton it is. Hampton is a very similar player to his brother and the fact that Curtly has not developed as many thought he would does hurt Jamie's prospects. Curtly is probably the more talented of the two brothers but at this stage of the draft I think Jamie has more than enough talent to justify the pick.

Hampton is a running defender with very good pace and great elusiveness. He is very eye-catching with his run from behind the ball. He works through traffic very well and when he is up and going he is very difficult to tackle. His skills are solid but could use some tidy up and he will go for a bit much on his kicks on occasion. He has pretty good size and does not mind mixing it up physically which is a bonus for an outside player.

I saw Hampton live both this year and last and the talent is there for him imo. He was good in the Div 2 Champs and got quite a lot of the ball but was quieter for the Allies in Div 1. He had a few nice runs but he did not get enough of it. I see he is over in SA playing for West Adelaide and has played a couple of ressies games but apart from that I do not know how is he going.

I was surprised to see that Hampton did not get an invite to the Combine. He certainly has the talent to warrant one.

The Lions need to add some pace to their team and Hampton certainly has that. He is quite speculative but if he pays off the ceiling is very high for him and well into the third round I am happy to swing for the fences.

pardon for butting in with a reply to a question to Quigley. my 2 cents worth- never been a fan of taking ruckman early (first 40 or so picks) as they are too much of a risk IMO ie. longer, luenberger. would rather go for the safer pick leave the rucks for the late 3rd round and on or FA/trade them in.

instead of goddard i would have gone any of drew, florent or bolton who went just after pick 28. loved Quigleys first 2 selections (SPS/parfitt).

EDIT- disregard what i said about who i would have taken with pick 28, i didn't realize zac fisher was still available, i would take him at 28. i think he will be a gun and have since i first read KMs list of strengths and no weaknesses a while ago.

Drew would be a great pickup at #28, provided Lions don't draft an inside type in Brodie at their early pick (or trade for an inside type in the off-season).

Pick #49 Adelaide - Peter Ladhams Norwood 202cm 94kg

Throwing this bloke out here because he's a raw talent, impressed in the 2015 champs last year and was solid again this year. I consider him on par with Goddard for the best ruck in the draft, perhaps not the overall ceiling ability of Goddard, but a decent enough player.

Ladhams is a classic ruck/forward being competent in both areas without being a true master of either. He definitely is the pick ruck in SA along with Sweet but has recently beaten Sweet in an Underage game and works better around the ground. Skills are moderate for a ruck, gets good purchase on his kicks and can mark very strongly overhead and is a good kick at goal. Tapwork is impressive and does give midfielders first use.

In the under 18 and reserves he can get a fair amount of it around the ground but this is patchy at times and has a bit of agro about him which is something I love in a big man.

He needs to hit the gym and will take a few years but I like him and think he's got the tools to become a decent player. Similar to a Ben Brown from North Melb but with a little less forward ability and a little more ruck ability.

The crows desperately need more talls. Hunter won't make it, Lowden probably won't be anything more than SANFL standard and Dear will be a forward. That leaves Jacobs as the main and O'Brien as the only decent young developing ruck understudy. Another won't hurt here.

Selection # 50 West Coast .

Matt Guelfi. 184cm 78kg. Inside Mid . Claremont

At this juncture in the draft I am not going to speculate on kids that, quite frankly haven't seen enough of over a player I have seen a fair bit of .

So the Claremont Colts tackling machine is a good option here . Matt has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months.
He is averaging 26 possessions in the colts and is a high tackle count exponent . He has an instinctive hunger for the contested possession. Tough and determined at the coal face . Good extractor and not lost on the outside either . Plays like a slightly smaller version of Scott Selwood however his disposal ( unlike Selwood ) is very tidy and he hits targets regularly over a variety of distances.
He made his senior debut for Claremont last weekend and certainly didn't disappoint. I like both his tenacity and his work rate and I believe he has the skills and determination to make it in the AFL.

Skippos your up .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suprised Waterman, Bunker and Walker havent gone yet

I have deliberately passed on Waterman as I want to see where others rate him .
And I guess most on here are not aware that in his debut for the Claremont Seniors on Saturday he had 15 possessions and just managed to bag a lazy 5 goals 1 point . Pretty tidy debut I would have thought and one that would have not gone unnoticed by the recruiting fraternity .

And I guess most on here are not aware that in his debut for the Claremont Seniors on Saturday he had 15 possessions and just managed to bag a lazy 5 goals 1 point . Pretty tidy debut I would have thought and one that would have not gone unnoticed by the recruiting fraternity .
I've liked him since last year and he has only gotten better this year by all accounts. I rate him between 15-25 and would be massive value to you guys if you have to use a later pick.

Showing my hand a bit here but I'm impressed. I was tossing up between him and Narkle at my last pick.

o
Selection # 50 West Coast .

Matt Guelfi. 184cm 78kg. Inside Mid . Claremont

At this juncture in the draft I am not going to speculate on kids that, quite frankly haven't seen enough of over a player I have seen a fair bit of .

So the Claremont Colts tackling machine is a good option here . Matt has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months.
He is averaging 26 possessions in the colts and is a high tackle count exponent . He has an instinctive hunger for the contestant possession. Tough and determined at the coal face . Good extractor and not lost on the outside either . Plays like a slightly smaller version that Scott Selwood however his disposal ( unlike Selwood ) is very tidy and he hits targets regularly over a variety of distances.
He made his senior debut for Claremont last weekend and certainly didn't disappoint. I like both his tenacity and his work rate and I believe he has the skills and determination to make it in the AFL.

Skippos your up .
only 2cm shorter. Yeah guelfi sounds like a good pick. we need to bank on heaps of inside mids or at least balanced mids this season.

Good choice - I think I said earlier really found hard to choose at last pick between he, Witherden and Brown.

Poholke reminds me of Jordan Lewis. Got really good hands he could be a bit of a bolter come draft day. Be interesting to watch where he goes and half hoping Pies have an eye on him. Love his competitiveness.

More Koby Stevens than Jordan Lewis

Pick #49 Adelaide - Peter Ladhams Norwood 202cm 94kg

Throwing this bloke out here because he's a raw talent, impressed in the 2015 champs last year and was solid again this year. I consider him on par with Goddard for the best ruck in the draft, perhaps not the overall ceiling ability of Goddard, but a decent enough player.

Ladhams is a classic ruck/forward being competent in both areas without being a true master of either. He definitely is the pick ruck in SA along with Sweet but has recently beaten Sweet in an Underage game and works better around the ground. Skills are moderate for a ruck, gets good purchase on his kicks and can mark very strongly overhead and is a good kick at goal. Tapwork is impressive and does give midfielders first use.

In the under 18 and reserves he can get a fair amount of it around the ground but this is patchy at times and has a bit of agro about him which is something I love in a big man.

He needs to hit the gym and will take a few years but I like him and think he's got the tools to become a decent player. Similar to a Ben Brown from North Melb but with a little less forward ability and a little more ruck ability.

The crows desperately need more talls. Hunter won't make it, Lowden probably won't be anything more than SANFL standard and Dear will be a forward. That leaves Jacobs as the main and O'Brien as the only decent young developing ruck understudy. Another won't hurt here.
For a year that does not have he amounts of ruck talent Ladhams does make an impression. I probably recall him more for last year's efforts and he does need some beefing up, no doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back