BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

From 61 to 66 with have a mix of picks between foj1 and Macca19

Any chance we could get them arranged so that the picks are back to back to make it go more smoothly?

Sounds good, who picks first?

From 61 to 66 with have a mix of picks between foj1 and Macca19

Any chance we could get them arranged so that the picks are back to back to make it go more smoothly?

I would not be completely against 12 hour blocks of 6 picks where anyone can pick in that 12 hours?
In saying that, it has gone rather quickly, so a rush is not essential.

Sydney - pick 56

I had my write up on Garcia as he was too good to pass at this pick but Ysaye beat me to him by 1

Jarvis Pina – small defender
WA, Peel
176cm , 71kg

After missing out on being drafted in 2018, Pina has gone back to his craft and delivered in spades in 2019. He has taken on the responsibility as club captain and excelled in a team that is leading the WAFL colts. He made the winning WA side and was a good mix of being damaging off the half back while still ensuring he shut down his opponent. So far in colts, he has averaged over 24 disposals a game and his last run was a season high 33 disposals and 5 tackles.

He possesses great vision meaning he can duck and weave out of defense and through traffic and then is pretty good in his decision-making and hitting targets. With the increase in the number of smaller and faster forwards, Jarvis will come into his own in team structures but will need a season or two in the gym to get his body AFL ready as he is quite light. That said, he is not that far off picking up the likes of Ryan, Butler and co.

PMBangers - you are up

Pick 57 - Charlie Dean
Sandringham Dragons | Vic Metro
194 cm 86 kg
Tall Forward

Started the year as a possible first rounder and even looked likely to push the top 10 in his first couple of games for the year Dean has dropped off completely from a lot of draft boards, possibly because pf his pretty disappointing Champs I think he's the best available Tall Forward at this pick and with Melbourne only having Weideman and TMac as Tall forwards atm adding a developing one that vould be a bargain pick is the right thing to do.

There's not much else to say about Dean, at a 4th round pick there's nothing to lose

Monocle You're up

Last edited:
Sydney - pick 56

I had my write up on Garcia as he was too good to pass at this pick but Ysaye beat me to him by 1

WA, Peel
176cm , 71kg

After missing out on being drafted in 2018, Pina has gone back to his craft and delivered in spades in 2019. He has taken on the responsibility as club captain and excelled in a team that is leading the WAFL colts. He made the winning WA side and was a good mix of being damaging off the half back while still ensuring he shut down his opponent. So far in colts, he has averaged over 24 disposals a game and his last run was a season high 33 disposals and 5 tackles.

He possesses great vision meaning he can duck and weave out of defense and through traffic and then is pretty good in his decision-making and hitting targets. With the increase in the number of smaller and faster forwards, Jarvis will come into his own in team structures but will need a season or two in the gym to get his body AFL ready as he is quite light. That said, he is not that far off picking up the likes of Ryan, Butler and co.

PMBangers - you are up
And that’s 2

Hey briztoon who would you have taken with our picks 16& 19 if you had selected? Same as Cotter, if not who would you have gone with of the available players at those selections, Elijah Taylor and Trent Rivers?

Selection. 58 West Coast Eagles.

Louis Butler. 183 cm. 74 kg. Defender /Midfielder. Sandringham Dragons.

Butler caught my attention at the Championships with his decision making and his foot skills, where he was played deep in defence.
I have since done some research and found out that The Dragons have used him in the midfield rotations and given their many talented midfielders that was seen by me as additional plus, if he could cut it in that mix.
Plays with a far degree of poise and assurance.
At pick 58 there are always some knocks on a prospective talent but I have seen enough to believe that he has a skill set that may well make it at the next level.
Ironically he reminds me a little of his namesake: Eagles 2006 Premiership Player - Sam Butler.

There were several picks that came off the board, in a solid run of players, that were in my mix for this pick , but thats thats how it crumbles.
Kudos to AsterixTheGaul, Jaxon Prior excellent pick I thought he would slide to me but alas not so. Likewise Ysaye I think we were all watching closely to see how far Garcia would drop after his knee injury.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of West Coasts Picks.

That completes my selections for West Coast, we are now done and dusted.

I am happy with the quartet of :

Cooper Stephens. Inside Midfielder.
Trent Rivers. Utility contested ball beast.
Miles Bergman. Complete midfielder.
Louis Butler. Defender midfielder.

The latter three all have some positional versatility and all four have good decision making skills and good footskills
( That said River has no where near the level of foot skills as the other three).

I feel these players would add too and complement, the current West Coast List, that at the minute is well served with forwards both KP and smalls and defenders both tall and small.
Had there been another KPD that had fallen to one of my last two picks then I may have topped up with one of them.
It's no secret that West Coasts best midfielders are very good, however the quality falls away markedly after that.
It was my intention to bolster the midfield and to that extent I feel happy with what I have been able to do with these picks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney - pick 58

Tyrone Thorne – small forward
WA, Peel
169cm, 58 kg

Thorne is another of the strong Peel colts team. He is averaging 2.5 goals a game and delivers each and every game. He usually gets his disposal count up to the mid to high teens but in the carnival, he played deeper than due to Henry and Taylor being in the WA forward line so he played closer to goals. That said, he managed 7 goals in the carnival and kicked one in each of the 4 games.

He is skinny as and that is the doubt over him but he is elusive and dangerous around the goals. Sydney do not have anyone like him and with the increase attractiveness for dangerous small forwards, Tyrone offers good value at this stage in the draft.

Over to you Knightmare

Last edited:
Hey briztoon who would you have taken with our picks 16& 19 if you had selected? Same as Cotter, if not who would you have gone with of the available players at those selections, Elijah Taylor and Trent Rivers?
Well seeing as I was picking for Gold Coast the pick it muddies the water a lot.

If someone else is picking for Gold Coast and selected someone different, say another midfielder, I would have picked Will Gould.

Gould is not a need, but he’s the type of player that fits our game style, and would be an automatic replacement for Hodge.

I would seriously trade our first two picks for Will Gould if he was still on board at pick 10.

And he’d push Starcevich in to the midfield rotation, and from my perspective, Starcevich is a better midfielder than any of the other inside mids still on board.

Elijah Taylor and Jeremy Sharp are both serious talents, and posses genuine X factor. But they both come with genuine risks from what I’ve heard. I’m not sure I’d consider either in the first 25 picks.

But that’s me going on what I’ve heard. And remember I wouldn’t have drafted Rayner either for the same reason.

At our second pick I would have given Trent Bianco serious consideration. He’s genuinely one of three players I would have considered.

Bianco is a small running defender or wing. And he probably pushes Bailey back in to the midfield eventually as well.

But I would eventually choose Luke Jackson, the ruck from WA. I know people hate picking Rucks early, but in this draft, on talent alone, Jackson is a top 15 to 20 talent.

I’m making these picks, with the knowledge I’m matching a bid for Coleman. And hoping that Cumberland slides to the rookie draft.

I’m also trading our pick 33 for a 2020 2nd round pick if at all possible, because there are few players after pick 30 I really like./

Sydney - pick 56

WA, Peel
176cm , 71kg

PMBangers - you are up
great pick

Selection. 58 West Coast Eagles.

Louis Butler. 183 cm. 74 kg. Defender /Midfielder. Sandringham Dragons.

Butler caught my attention at the Championships with his decision making and his foot skills, where he was played deep in defence.
I have since done some research and found out that The Dragons have used him in the midfield rotations and given their many talented midfielders that was seen by me as additional plus, if he could cut it in that mix.
Plays with a far degree of poise and assurance.
At pick 58 there are always some knocks on a prospective talent but I have seen enough to believe that he has a skill set that may well make it at the next level.

There were several picks that came off the board, in a solid run of players, that were in my mix for this pick , but thats thats how it crumbles.
Kudos to AsterixTheGaul, Jaxon Prior excellent pick I thought he would slide to me but alas not so. Likewise Ysaye I think we were all watching closely to see how far Garcia would drop after his knee injury.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of West Coasts Picks.

That completes my selections for West Coast, we are now done and dusted.

I am happy with the quartet of :

Cooper Stephens. Inside Midfielder.
Trent Rivers. Utility contested ball beast.
Miles Bergman. Complete midfielder.
Louis Butler. Defender midfielder.

The latter three all have some positional versatility and all four have good decision making skills and good footskills
( That said River is no where near the level of foot skills as the other three).

I feel these players would add to and complement, the current West Coast List that at the minute is well served with forwards both KP and smalls and defenders both tall and small.
Had there been another KPD that had fallen to one of my last two picks then I may have topped up with one of them.
It's no secret that West Coasts best midfielders are very good, however the quality falls away markedly after that.
It was my intention to bolster the midfield and to that extent I feel happy with what I have been able to do with these picks.
Bargain

This guy certainly interests me, I've seen some good moments and then he goes missing for periods of time. Would love to see him increase his consistence and I think he has a few tools.

Agree he does have a few tools, good decision maker and has great foot kills.
Sure if he was more consistent he would be off the board some time ago.
Seems like he has a cool head on his shoulders as he holds his nerve pretty well and doesn't panic in heavy traffic.

I think there is enough to work with, to take him on to a list and develop him further.

60 Collingwood - Karl Finlay
Height/weight: 192cm/88kg
Rationale: Best available selection and someone either as a key defender or general defender I feel can become a best 22 player. One of the elite readers of the ball in flight and intercept marks in the draft, very strong overhead and a good one-on-one defender. A good kick who displays good vision. Moves well. Can play key defence and may well end up a key defender but I'd be just as comfortable using him as a third tall or general defender to free him up to take more intercept marks and rebound more. A happy coincidence I've found two North Adelaide defenders of high quality.

Macca19 up next.

Last edited:
Ok foj1 let me know if you were going to pick any of these.

Pick #61 - Port Adelaide
Ryan Sparkes - Gippsland
184 / 78 / Out Mid-HBF
My Ranking - 26

As mentioned with my earlier picks, Port need skill and efficiency and Ryan provides that in spades. He is an outside midfielder who can also play on a back flank, has good endurance, speed and clean foot skills. The thing I like about him most is the fact he takes the game on. He backs himself and his skills. He's not afraid to run 15 and kick it 50. Whilst his decision making can let him down, I feel like it's a part of his game that will improve over time.

Reasoning - At 26 in my rankings he was best available at this pick. I figure I rate him probably a lot higher than anyone else on here but I like the way he plays and feel that his game can convert easily to AFL level.

Pick #63 - Port Adelaide
Toby Mahony - GWV Rebels
192 / 77 / In Mid-3TF
My Ranking - 43

Toby is a tall midfielder with great agility, good pace and the ability to play as a 3rd tall up forward as well. But, it's in the midfield where he looks most impressive. Tall and with good ability to read the stoppage, he can get first hand on the ball and work his way out of trouble. There is a bit of poor mans Bontompelli about the way he moves and plays. He is a clean kick and a very good kick for goal.

Reasoning - He isn't best available for me (there are 4 players on my board ahead of him still), but I've seen him 5 times this year and have liked what I've seen each time. He's by no means a complete player, but there is a lot to work with.

Pick #65 - Port Adelaide
Harrison Magor - North Adelaide
183 / 83 / Gen Mid-HBF
My Ranking - 40

Harrison is a general midfielder with good leadership, great inside ability and excellent competitiveness. Its the competitive side to his game that I love, whether its shutting down a forward, or winning clearance after clearance in the midfield, he's a versatile player with plenty of improvement still to come. He could get fitter, he needs to improve his skills at times but he's someone that could be a handy player at AFL level in a few years time.

Reasoning - Whilst he played down back mostly in the Champs, I've picked him because I've loved his midfield work at SANFL level this year. He's picked up disposals for fun at u18 level. With an aging midfield, we need to replenish our midfield stocks and I feel Harry is great value at this stage of the draft.

Pick #66 - Port Adelaide
Jamieson Rossiter - Eastern
190 / 77 / 3TF-In Mid
My Ranking - 69

Jamieson is a 3rd tall forward who has plenty of x-factor and the ability to play through the midfield as well. As a forward he plays that lead up role well, but can also push back closer to goal. He regularly hits the scoreboard and is very efficient with score involvements/disposals as well. Whilst different sizes, there is a bit of Stevie J in the way he plays. He's competitive, he has good skills, he brings teammates into the game and his versatility is a bonus.

Reasoning - Port haven't had a genuine 3rd tall forward for eternity and feel it's something that we lack and could certainly do with. None of the genuine KPF's interest me that are left. There were 2 or 3 other choices here but have gone with needs.

Last edited:
60 Collingwood - Karl Finlay
Height/weight: 192cm/88kg
Rationale: Best available selection and someone either as a key defender or general defender I feel can become a best 22 player. One of the elite readers of the ball in flight and intercept marks in the draft, very strong overhead and a good one-on-one defender. A good kick who displays good vision. Moves well. Can play key defence and may well end up a key defender but I'd be just as comfortable using him as a third tall or general defender to free him up to take more intercept marks and rebound more. A happy coincidence I've found two North Adelaide defenders of high quality.

Macca19 up next.

Very nice get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back