BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

This shocked me. An inside mid who is terrific at winning clearances. I would have thought the crows were well serviced in this area.
I go back to my original premise that we will rank players incredibly differently this year.

Just catching up a bit finally on this thread

Possibly may shock but contrary to belief the crows still need some good YOUNG ballwinners/inside mids. We still get beaten around the contest even with Sloane, Crouches etc and have a number of young fast and speedy up and comers and outside runners/half backs who are developing such as Galluci, Jones, McHenry, Milera, Atkins, Hamill, Sholl, McPherson...on the inside as far as young up and comers or secondary mids go I can only name CEY, Poholke and Greenwood and Wilson, the latter who unfortunately will probably be delisted. Our inside depth is terrible. At least Jones will be able to win his own ball one day but he'll never have the body of a strong inside mid.

Summary of West Coasts Picks.

That completes my selections for West Coast, we are now done and dusted.

I am happy with the quartet of :

Cooper Stephens. Inside Midfielder.
Trent Rivers. Utility contested ball beast.
Miles Bergman. Complete midfielder.
Louis Butler. Defender midfielder

Nailed it Mon. Would love to see this come November.

As others have mentioned I think Butler with our last pick is a bargain.

Isaac Wareham gone yet? Just about the youngest player in this draft I would think with a Christmas Eve birthday, born a week later and he's in next year's draft.

Ok foj1 let me know if you were going to pick any of these.

Pick #61 - Port Adelaide
Ryan Sparkes - Gippsland
184 / 78 / Out Mid-HBF
My Ranking - 26

As mentioned with my earlier picks, Port need skill and efficiency and Ryan provides that in spades. He is an outside midfielder who can also play on a back flank, has good endurance, speed and clean foot skills. The thing I like about him most is the fact he takes the game on. He backs himself and his skills. He's not afraid to run 15 and kick it 50. Whilst his decision making can let him down, I feel like it's a part of his game that will improve over time.

Reasoning - At 26 in my rankings he was best available at this pick. I figure I rate him probably a lot higher than anyone else on here but I like the way he plays and feel that his game can convert easily to AFL level.

Pick #63 - Port Adelaide
Toby Mahony - GWV Rebels
192 / 77 / In Mid-3TF
My Ranking - 43

Toby is a tall midfielder with great agility, good pace and the ability to play as a 3rd tall up forward as well. But, it's in the midfield where he looks most impressive. Tall and with good ability to read the stoppage, he can get first hand on the ball and work his way out of trouble. There is a bit of poor mans Bontompelli about the way he moves and plays. He is a clean kick and a very good kick for goal.

Reasoning - He isn't best available for me (there are 4 players on my board ahead of him still), but I've seen him 5 times this year and have liked what I've seen each time. He's by no means a complete player, but there is a lot to work with.

Pick #65 - Port Adelaide
Harrison Magor - North Adelaide
183 / 83 / Gen Mid-HBF
My Ranking - 40

Harrison is a general midfielder with good leadership, great inside ability and excellent competitiveness. Its the competitive side to his game that I love, whether its shutting down a forward, or winning clearance after clearance in the midfield, he's a versatile player with plenty of improvement still to come. He could get fitter, he needs to improve his skills at times but he's someone that could be a handy player at AFL level in a few years time.

Reasoning - Whilst he played down back mostly in the Champs, I've picked him because I've loved his midfield work at SANFL level this year. He's picked up disposals for fun at u18 level. With an aging midfield, we need to replenish our midfield stocks and I feel Harry is great value at this stage of the draft.

Pick #66 - Port Adelaide
Jamieson Rossiter - Eastern
190 / 77 / 3TF-In Mid
My Ranking - 69

Jamieson is a 3rd tall forward who has plenty of x-factor and the ability to play through the midfield as well. As a forward he plays that lead up role well, but can also push back closer to goal. He regularly hits the scoreboard and is very efficient with score involvements/disposals as well. Whilst different sizes, there is a bit of Stevie J in the way he plays. He's competitive, he has good skills, he brings teammates into the game and his versatility is a bonus.

Reasoning - Port haven't had a genuine 3rd tall forward for eternity and feel it's something that we lack and could certainly do with. None of the genuine KPF's interest me that are left. There were 2 or 3 other choices here but have gone with needs.
Nice write ups, I'm expecting the Bulldogs to trade out early picks so it's good to read profiles of potential later draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To help I would say GWS, Sydney and GC will probably take at least one academy player each in last round
I considered Gore, Delahunty, Ellem, McGory and Peatling at my previous pick, thinking I'll likely take one with my last if the kid I've got my eye on doesn't last

The draft seems to hit a few road blocks every once in a while. I understand people have real lives to go about but I will attempt to start doing blocks of selections.
If I manage to get 6 picks per 12 hours at worst, then that should keep the ball rolling.
If one of the posters comes online, feel free to make your selection.
The concept of a trial run is to really get names out in the public and the pointy end of the draft has been completed, so most of the interest from drafters and watchers has already happened.
(Yes, I know some people are interested at the later picks, but most people only really care about the first two rounds)

If one of the people tagged below come online, feel free to make your selection.

62 Essendon - foj1
64 Essendon - foj1

68 Carlton - LemmingMaster Ned Cahill
69 North Melbourne eDPS Charlie Comben
70 Collingwood Knightmare Hewago Paul-Oea
71 St Kilda Ysaye
72 Ricmond Pie 4 Life Isaac Wareham

Which ever comes first
Everyone had made a selection OR 10pm Perth time, I will then tag the next 6 selections and people when they come online can draft a player.
I hope it runs smoothly without too much confusion. Sorry to everyone that may receive a lot of tags.

Last edited:
The draft seems to hit a few road blocks every once in a while. I understand people have real lives to go about but I will attempt to start doing blocks of selections.
If I manage to get 6 picks per 12 hours at worst, then that should keep the ball rolling.
If one of the posters comes online, feel free to make your selection.
The concept of a trial run is to really get names out in the public and the pointy end of the draft has been completed, so most of the interest from drafters and watchers has already happened.
(Yes, I know some people are interested at the later picks, but most people only really care about the first two rounds)

If one of the people tagged below come online, feel free to make your selection.

62 Essendon - foj1
64 Essendon - foj1

68 Carlton - LemmingMaster
69 North Melbourne eDPS
70 Collingwood Knightmare
71 St Kilda Ysaye
72 Ricmond Pie 4 Life

Which ever comes first
Everyone had made a selection OR 10pm Perth time, I will then tag the next 6 selections and people when they come online can draft a player.
I hope it runs smoothly without too much confusion. Sorry to everyone that may receive a lot of tags.
If we're doing this, I'll take Isaac Wareham with Richmond's pick.

70 - Collingwood - Hewago Paul-Oea (Gold Coast Academy)
Height/weight: 174cm/65kg

I weighted up between two Gold Coast Academy boys. A happy accident to be pairing Oea with Budarick from Gold Coast's Academy as two forward/mids and pairing two tall North Adelaide defenders. But never a bad thing pairing two from the same junior club together. If I had a third pick I'd be taking a third Gold Coast Academy prospect in Josh Gore who is a fantastic goalkicking forward and for mine in the same conversation as Cameron Taheny but ultimately rating Gore fairly evenly with Oea, I picked Oea with Collingwood needing speed and forward pressure as the top priority and that's what Oea brings in spades.

In picking Oea, I'm seeing him as another Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. He has a similar game. Brings the forward pressure and second and third efforts in a big way. Really hard over the ball and an excellent ground ball winner. Clean hands in close and nice skills/vision/decision which is impressive given he hasn't played much footy. Give him a chance he'll hit the scoreboard. I overall love the way he influences games whenever the ball is in his area, whether it's pressuring or winning it.

Other than Gore I'm also a fan of Brodie Newman and Liam Delahunty as those remaining players I would have felt comfortable selecting late draft.

Last edited:
70 - Collingwood - Hewago Paul-Oea (Gold Coast Academy)
Height/weight: 174cm/65kg

I weighted up between two Gold Coast Academy boys. A happy accident to be pairing Oea with Budarick from Gold Coast's Academy as two forward/mids and pairing two tall North Adelaide defenders. But never a bad thing pairing two from the same junior club together. If I had a third pick I'd be taking a third Gold Coast Academy prospect in Josh Gore who is a fantastic goalkicking forward and for mine in the same conversation as Cameron Taheny but ultimately rating Gore fairly evenly with Oea, I picked Oea with Collingwood needing speed and forward pressure as the top priority and that's what Oea brings in spades.

In picking Oea, I'm seeing him as another Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. He has a similar game. Brings the forward pressure and second and third efforts in a big way. Really hard over the ball and an excellent ground ball winner. Clean hands in close and nice skills/vision/decision which is impressive given he hasn't played much footy. Give him a chance he'll hit the scoreboard.
I believe there is another A. Tipungwuti available, Adam not as catchy for a song though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back